• Please log in to reply
509 replies to this topic

#481 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 10:12 AM

More to it...

iirc they also own the hudson brewhouse. it couldn't have helped that it was/is also meant to be a brewpub.

#482 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 10:23 AM

iirc they also own the hudson brewhouse. it couldn't have helped that it was/is also meant to be a brewpub.

That's not fully correct either but I'll leave it at that.  It's a pretty convoluted and long story.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#483 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 10:26 AM

^ And of course any restaurant that caters to tourists doesn't need to be good since customers won't be back anyways!

Word is that there is another restaurant lined up to replace the Taphouse which as ISMO stated replaced a restaurant before it and at least one before that.

First they’ll have to buy the lease from the Taphouse guys. It’s going to close, then go up for sale, I think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#484 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 10:46 AM

Ah, that makes sense regarding Cora.

Yes, lots of good places for food downtown, but the bars are struggling to maintain quality. It can be a real hit and miss pursuit to have a half decent dish at downtown’s bars and lounges. Like it’s getting really bad in some spots that formerly were exceptionally good.

Matt R. can speak to this. It’s a challenge to maintain good staff in kitchens. Demand for them is ultra high.

You could say that! We are thankfully fully staffed in the kitchen. Sometimes being the only game in town (south end) has its advantages. The labour market does appear to be slowly shifting, and now we are having a hard time finding front of house staff. Some cooks left the industry during Covid, but many were able to stay on during closures and do takeout orders, meal kits, etc. but servers were just put out to pasture.

#485 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 11 May 2023 - 03:25 PM

You could say that! We are thankfully fully staffed in the kitchen. Sometimes being the only game in town (south end) has its advantages. The labour market does appear to be slowly shifting, and now we are having a hard time finding front of house staff. Some cooks left the industry during Covid, but many were able to stay on during closures and do takeout orders, meal kits, etc. but servers were just put out to pasture.

If Matt owns what I think he does (Ferris?) he's immune to this. And this is a sample of one:

Covid had me cooking a lot to entertain myself, and keep morale up around here... good, tasty, healthy food does wonders and, third parties confirm, I'm pretty good at it. So the value proposition has changed a LOT, and I'll use crude segments to explain.

Fast food like Tim's, McD's breaky, Barb's burger, makes sense. I get speed and something tasty, even if it's salt, sugar, and fat.

The higher end, like Ferris', makes sense... the chef is more skilled than I, there's things on the menu I haven't made, there's variety, change, creativity. (or should be, lol.)

It's the big middle that has nothing for me any more: Earl's, Boston Pizza, almost every franchise in this space and lots of independents. The food doesn't taste as good as home, the price seems unreasonable, the service is sketchy because of staff issues. This is over for me.

• Barrrister likes this

#486 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 03:28 PM

I should mention that, for years, living in Ontario and visiting Victoria for work every 6 weeks or so, Ferris upstairs, at the bar, was my 1st dinner every trip. 

Before retiring, the Chef was a young lady, not too tall, short hair, smart, fun to chat food with and obviously liked her work. She was a great ambassador.

#487 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 May 2023 - 04:52 PM

If Matt owns what I think he does (Ferris?) he's immune to this. And this is a sample of one:

Covid had me cooking a lot to entertain myself, and keep morale up around here... good, tasty, healthy food does wonders and, third parties confirm, I'm pretty good at it. So the value proposition has changed a LOT, and I'll use crude segments to explain.

Fast food like Tim's, McD's breaky, Barb's burger, makes sense. I get speed and something tasty, even if it's salt, sugar, and fat.

The higher end, like Ferris', makes sense... the chef is more skilled than I, there's things on the menu I haven't made, there's variety, change, creativity. (or should be, lol.)

It's the big middle that has nothing for me any more: Earl's, Boston Pizza, almost every franchise in this space and lots of independents. The food doesn't taste as good as home, the price seems unreasonable, the service is sketchy because of staff issues. This is over for me.

Matt’s on SSI, Fulford. Only one restaurant to speak of :).
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#488 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 06:49 PM

/\ Yup....can't miss it coming off the ferry: if you're not paying attention you'll drive right through his front door, lol......

• Matt R. likes this

#489 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 10:44 PM

Andrew Wilkinson and co own Ferris’. I’m a little further away, nicer neighborhood lol.

#490 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 10:47 PM

Matt’s on SSI, Fulford. Only one restaurant to speak of :).

Who knows what Morningside cafe even serves anymore.. my spot has been the restaurant and cafe in fulford for a very, very long time. I am pretty sure our location is top 10 for all of BC.

While there have been other food outlets in the area, we are simply unbeatable. :)

#491 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 10:47 PM

/\ Yup....can't miss it coming off the ferry: if you're not paying attention you'll drive right through his front door, lol......

Both of them, and out through the cafe!
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#492 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:06 AM

I've stopped at your restaurant every time i've been to SSI.

(mind you, the count == 1)

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#493 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:39 AM

Andrew Wilkinson and co own Ferris’. I’m a little further away, nicer neighborhood lol.

omg ... not since 2015 tho?

Also, we've likely met then.

I have relatives living on SSI since the early 1980's and there all the time, including your shop, of course.

Some of those relatives were quite "involved" in the community.

• Matt R. likes this

#494 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 12:31 PM

I’ve only been there 10.5 years, still a newcomer.

Last summer there were a couple food trucks and a hot dog stand in the empty lot just up from us, but they struggled.. except the ice cream truck of course.

David Fullbrook is trying to build a hotel and restaurant around the harbour from us, the Trust finally gave him the go ahead, but now CRD is raising the water issue, as in not enough supply. Meanwhile, the 6000l daily down the road is very minor!

Clown world, water world edition.

Edited by Matt R., 12 May 2023 - 12:31 PM.

• Barrrister likes this

#495 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 04:08 AM

TC paid advertorial:

A bookshelf hides this secret cocktail bar in downtown Victoria
At Artemis Whiskey Bar, an unforgettable experience awaits

• todd likes this

#496 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 09:06 AM

People love secret things.

#497 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 09:23 AM

TC paid advertorial:

The ads became smarter they disguised themselves: https://youtu.be/tTsrHVXdZ3I

I use Ghostery, seems to work best to get rid of ads, that’s what Edward Snowden recommends

Edited by todd, 08 June 2023 - 09:23 AM.

#498 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 09:25 AM

Secret bar runs paid ad in newspaper.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 June 2023 - 09:25 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#499 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 09:49 AM

Yep only the couple people who read the TC know. People like to know secrets because it makes them feel more special than other people.

#500 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 10:13 AM

The ads became smarter they disguised themselves

As newscasts.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users