BUILT
V1488
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1488 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 13
V1488 is a 13-storey purpose-built rental tower with ground floor commercial space in downtown Victoria's Harr... (view full profile)
Learn more about V1488 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] "V1488" | 1075 Pandora/1488 Cook Street | Built - completed in 2018

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

^correct.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#122 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

I have to say, external stairways and walkways really rub me the wrong way, especially on such a large building (if that's actually what I'm seeing in the rendering and the model). We've already talked about the massing so I won't go into that again. Otherwise, yeah, it looks pretty good. Better than I would have expected for this location.

#123 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

Strictly from a design angle, it looks really good. Adheres to the look of Harris Green, IMO. Interesting variation on the traditional podium tower. Who's the architect again?

#124 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

Those look like some sweet penthouse rentals backing onto the rooftop patio. I love the Pandora/Cook building but what's going on at the lower portion of the Johnson St. building? It think that section should stand out more and the ground floor should have higher ceilings.

#125 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

Dare I say it, but the Pandora building looks great. Really all you could ask for in a mid-rise proposal. Build this please and build it soon! :thumbsup:

I know Alpha Properties and the owners in Sutton Place hate it, but there really is more than enough space in between the two for another condo building. I'm not sure 10 stories is the answer, but then again I don't know what the right height would be. Higher? Lower? It's already a bit of a table top with Sutton Place West/East and the Mondrian, so how much harm could this small building being the same height really cause?

#126 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

That is a very nice looking proposal on balance although I agree with Aastra that external stairways always somehow detract from the overall design. Let us hope it not only gets built but that the 'usual suspects' on the VCC don't hack it down to the Victoria norm of 4-6 stories thereby turning it yet another example of "meh". And we can only pray that no one will raise any objections about this one blocking their views of the Sooke Hills? :squint:

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

Dare I say it, but the Pandora building looks great. Really all you could ask for in a mid-rise proposal. Build this please and build it soon! :thumbsup:

I know Alpha Properties and the owners in Sutton Place hate it, but there really is more than enough space in between the two for another condo building. I'm not sure 10 stories is the answer, but then again I don't know what the right height would be. Higher? Lower? It's already a bit of a table top with Sutton Place West/East and the Mondrian, so how much harm could this small building being the same height really cause?

A wall of 10-storey buildings actually conforms to the Harris Green building guidelines. If the City objects or other developers object, I don't know if they really have a leg to stand on other than the ability by the city to veto the height as proposed, but then why spend countless tax payers dollars and years implementing a plan that is ultimately unworkable?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#128 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

CEI Architecture
http://www.ceiarchitecture.com/

Strictly from a design angle, it looks really good. Adheres to the look of Harris Green, IMO. Interesting variation on the traditional podium tower. Who's the architect again?

#129 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

I actually really like the external stairs on this.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#130 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

All seems to have gone quiet on this development, has there been any more news on progress? I have seen some recent activity in the old BCAA building since the Green Party moved out (at least I think they have), but nothing would suggest they are getting ready to tear it down....

Is this still an attractive development in terms of going forward?

I have noticed that the Dentist (who owns the three buildings adjacent 1075 Pandora) has been sprucing up his properties with new paint etc since CBC left, I wonder if he is testing the market for a sale? Those buildings are pretty tired on that side and provide a constant hangout for the areas less desirable residents...

#131 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

Concorde mentioned somewhere that the project might be dead.

#132 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

That was the Pandora & Vancouver project - link

#133 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

The Hudson's rental building is looking like a reality and there are plenty of rentable units in the Mondrian and other newish buildings around town. How many new units can Victoria's rental market absorb in a short time?

#134 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

I actually really like the external stairs on this.

External stairs look good, but they can be a ginormous pain. I live in a building with them, and across the street from another one, and I can tell you that, if they're metal, they're very, very, very noisy. I understand that there are products out there that you install on them to cut the reverb, but then it becomes a cost issue, and then an additional, ongoing, maintenance item.

Additionally, external stairs multiply your exterior doors, which can be a security problem if you live in a neighbourhood where that might be a concern.

#135 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

I have noticed that the Dentist (who owns the three buildings adjacent 1075 Pandora) has been sprucing up his properties with new paint etc since CBC left, I wonder if he is testing the market for a sale? Those buildings are pretty tired on that side and provide a constant hangout for the areas less desirable residents...

What if those lots next to this building were included in this project, and the driveway for the whole works was on the johnson st side where the 10-storey section (which I never liked very much from the beginning) is supposed to go? there could still maybe be a smaller section there, just not 10 stories, & not all the way out to johnson st, and room for a mid-block shortcut. Since pandora is so wide at that point (55-60m), and they're on the south (ie downtown) side I think they could go as high as 20 stories here without being excessively tall. not that it's definitely the right thing but taller would definitely create more definition, more presence & sense of enclosure on the street. if someone stood on the north side of pandora they wouldn't seem so high because they'd be so far away. it would definitely make for a more interesting block imho, since it would break up monotony of the roofline, and of the street wall on the johnson st side.

#136 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

generally the pandora/cook side looks really cool, a good compliment to the mondrian & harris green in general

#137 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

The issue, ironically, is the Johnson St. side conforms to the Harris Green guidelines crafted by the City.

Personally I don't mind either side of this project but I can see where some people would have a problem with the 10-storey building.

Know it all.

#138 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

The Hudson's rental building is looking like a reality and there are plenty of rentable units in the Mondrian and other newish buildings around town. How many new units can Victoria's rental market absorb in a short time?

I would imagine there is certain sections of the rental market that is not adequately serviced(whether this project services these gaps is a different story though). Check out the vacancy rates for unit types both in the city and across the universe.

#139 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

So all being good in the world, does anyone know why this company is moving into the old BCAA building at 1075 Pandora?

http://www.westcanservices.com

They seemed to have moved from Stadacona Centre I think?

#140 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

The Johnson St building proposal went to the PLUSC on August 22.
Link to report.
(BTW a few other noteworthy projects on that agenda; 1101 Fort, 605 Speed/608 Frances, 202 Harbour)

10 storeys, 24 2-bedroom, 13 1-bedroom, ground floor retail.
Levels 1-3 have zero setbacks on the east and west sides.
Levels 5-9 have 3m setbacks. Tough to read the plans, but looks like ~8m to the Mondrian balconies on the east side.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users