BUILT
V1488
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1488 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 13
V1488 is a 13-storey purpose-built rental tower with ground floor commercial space in downtown Victoria's Harr... (view full profile)
Learn more about V1488 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] "V1488" | 1075 Pandora/1488 Cook Street | Built - completed in 2018

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#661 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:52 AM

Any updates on the "1088 Johnson" portion of this project?

Capture.PNG

:whyme:

• Mike K. and DavidSchell like this

#662 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:55 AM

Thank you for the info Jackerbie.

#663 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:11 AM

Aaaaand we're back to "In Progress" on VicMap! Hopefully a sign of things to come soon

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#664 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 11:20 AM

Was randomly checking out rentals today, noticed this building has accrued some pretty gnarly reviews from tenants. Predictable that the building has issues with parking lot break-ins given the location, but the main uproar seems to stem from issues with the building's design - sky-high hydro bills, lack of soundproofing, exposure to elements in the winter. With the pandemic-induced economic crisis just starting, I wonder if this building will manage to keep renting at capacity.

#665 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 11:35 AM

I would imagine the hydro bills stem from in-suite hot water tanks. They’re expensive, but it’s either that, or a higher monthly rent for “free” hot water.

The outdoor walkways are intended to keep rental rates lower by not having to be heated as they would be in any other design, thereby making maintenance costs lower, and that would trickle down to rental rate competitiveness.

There’s always two sides to every coin, for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#666 E2V

E2V
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:36 PM

I have an in-suite hot water tank plus electric in-floor heating. I find my hydro bills quite reasonable. What amount for electricity would people consider sky high?

#667 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:37 PM

Anything over $25/month in warmer months is my guess.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#668 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:31 PM

some people might have indeed moved from free heat and free hot water places and be surprised. who knows.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 May 2020 - 03:32 PM.

#669 scotto203

scotto203
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:28 PM

We looked at a couple of units in V1488 last summer and asked about the hydro prices as we had read about them in some of those reviews. Supposedly they were working on a few things like reducing the airflow coming in from the doors, but I don't know how effective it ended up being as we ended up renting elsewhere. Having lived in condos/apartments with and without an in-suite hot water tank, it definitely does make a difference, so I imagine that in combination with the outdoor walkways are at least part of the higher costs. The exposed concrete and large balconies might not help either.

#670 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:17 PM

Was randomly checking out rentals today, noticed this building has accrued some pretty gnarly reviews from tenants. Predictable that the building has issues with parking lot break-ins given the location, but the main uproar seems to stem from issues with the building's design - sky-high hydro bills, lack of soundproofing, exposure to elements in the winter. With the pandemic-induced economic crisis just starting, I wonder if this building will manage to keep renting at capacity.

Ah yes  I have a coworker who was quite eager to get out of that building.  You can add interior moisture problems thanks to the exposed concrete walls to that list as well.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#671 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:41 PM

I would imagine the hydro bills stem from in-suite hot water tanks. They’re expensive, but it’s either that, or a higher monthly rent for “free” hot water.

The outdoor walkways are intended to keep rental rates lower by not having to be heated as they would be in any other design, thereby making maintenance costs lower, and that would trickle down to rental rate competitiveness.

I recall checking out this building when I moved to town two years ago, and their pricing was definitively on the high end before accounting for all other bills. So if the building's design and the lack of hot water tanks were meant to make rents more competitive, I don't think that was quite reflected on the ask. They are very permissive on pets though, so maybe that's their calling card.

• Mike K. likes this

#672 CoolCat123

CoolCat123
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 01:08 PM

Expect what they haven't told you is they have recently leased the commercial space below to a daycare and given away all of the common areas to the daycare. So now tenants are just paying super high rent to have children screaming and no common areas to enjoy. 

#673 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 05:39 AM

The laughs and cries of children playing is the source of a dispute between tenants of a downtown rental building and their landlord.

Some tenants of a 134-unit purpose-built rental building on the corner of Cook Street and Pandora Avenue are upset that a new daycare, set to open next month, will take over some of their common space during weekdays and are worried about the noise of children playing on playgrounds. The landlord says the daycare is part of his goal of creating a family-friendly rental building in a city where new child-care spaces are desperately needed.

https://www.timescol...lord-1.24187349

#674 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 09:31 AM

Someone take a photo from either this building or the Mondrian with the viewpoint looking down towards the Wade. Many of us would appreciate seeing current progress of the Wade’s rooftop garden amenities
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#675 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 11 October 2020 - 06:44 AM

Ten-on-the-10th-October-2020.jpg

Real-estate development Q&A with developer Dan Cox of Cox Developments

https://victoria.cit...x-developments/

Know it all.

#676 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 March 2021 - 04:29 PM

Another update: BP is still in progress, but the development permit was re-issued by Council in October last year (DPs lapse after 2 years, and this one was originally issued in 2017). Hopefully they don't need a second extension!

According to a letter to Council from Cox, engineering concerns prevented them from building both developments at the same time.

For those interested, the drawings are all online here: https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=59327

• Mike K., zoomer and Nparker like this

#677 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 09:57 AM

Some action at 1088 Johnson.

Attached Images

• IMG_20210807_074928449.jpg
  • IMG_20210807_074933805.jpg

• Mike K., zoomer and Nparker like this

#678 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 10:35 AM

About time. 

Mods: Is there a thread for the 1088 project?

#679 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 12:33 PM

Yup: https://vibrantvicto...in-2018/page-34
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#680 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:15 AM

Base for the crane is being prepared.

Edited by DavidSchell, 15 January 2022 - 10:17 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users