48 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:00 PM

I don't think complete TV rating are available for free, only the top 30 shows:

http://www.bbm.ca/en/top_programs.html
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:45 AM

"Zed's dead, baby"

Zed is now "95Crave[/url:52700]", playing the usual boring soft "hits". No wonder kids are abandoning radio.

Here's a brief mp3 sampling of old Z95.3 station IDs from 1994:

[url="http://www.pugetsoundradio.com/blahdocs/uploads/ckzz1994_478.mp3"]http://www.pugetsoundradio.com/blahdocs ... 94_478.mp3
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:29 AM

Wow when I was a teen everyone I knew hated Z95 of course we were all listening to 107.7 The end in Seattle. I had wire out my beroom window up to the roof of my parents house to bring the signal better. I think they may still play the exact same music :)

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:34 AM

^Haha, I had a wire that went up the wall and circled the ceiling in my bedroom to get The End in better. I wonder what ever happened to Marco Collins?
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#25 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

The End is the only music station I listen to.

#26 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:07 PM

http://cfuv.uvic.ca/
That and the end, but CFUV needs props too.

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:38 PM

Did any of you "End" listeners switch over to Mel Cooper's 107.3 Extreme while it existed?

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:08 PM

Yeah I did for a bit but it was no where near as good.

It has a whole new look!

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:12 PM

Yeah I did for a bit but it was no where near as good.

What he said.

Mel got ripped off a bit. He had waited for 5 years for an FM license. He finally got one, but then so did 6 other applicants right away.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:51 PM

It was an unfair fight because Extreme had to contend with Canadian Content regulations which made it hard to get enough Canadian alternative songs without treading into dreaded Nickelback territory.

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:27 AM

not even sure nickelback was around yet:) There was a good amount of canadian indy on extreme actually there was one show at night that I usually listened to.

It has a whole new look!

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

-FAX moving to A-Channel building
Andrew A. Duffy, Times Colonist
Published: Friday, June 22, 2007
After more than 30 years in one location, C-FAX 1070 is preparing to pack its on-air staff, community cruiser and the odd citation rose -- an award for community service -- for a move across the downtown core to "Pandora's box."

The radio station and its sister, KOOL FM, will be moving late this fall from Broughton Street into the former McDonald's Furniture building at the corner of Pandora Avenue and Broad Street where they will share digs with their new sibling, A-Channel.

A CRTC ruling handed down recently allowed CTV, which owns C-FAX and KOOL FM, to keep the A-Channel station in Victoria and five in Ontario.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font: ****All of those stations were part of the $1.7-billion deal CTV signed with CHUM. CTV, however, was forced to sell five Citytv outlets to Rogers Communications.

"It keeps us in the same family," said C-FAX executive vice-president Terry Spence, noting the move had been planned but was put on hold when Rogers inherited A-Channel earlier this year in a $137.5-million deal with CTVglobemedia.

But now that CTV has them all, the original plans to house the media outlets in one building will go ahead.

"Our lease extends to the end of year, an extension we made with the landlord when this issue was before the CRTC," said Spence, who said they will be located on the third floor of the A-Channel building.

While that floor is wired and ready to go -- part of the $20-million renovation done to the building as part of the 2001 launch of the New VI television station -- C-FAX will still have to build control rooms and studios.

"We hope to start construction in early fall and plan to be in there by late fall or early winter," said Spence. A final budget for the renovation has yet to be determined, he said.

He said the move will be bittersweet, as the station will be leaving a spot it was in for more than 30 years, but it is looking forward to a chance to upgrade equipment.

"There have been a lot of changes in the last 20 years," Spence said. "The idea is to build a brand-new station and move into it taking some pieces, but things like our control boards and so on would not go with us."

Spence said the new arrangement should allow A-Channel and C-FAX to co-operate on coverage and in some promotions.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:32 PM

I'm glad that common sense prevailed after all these years. Now the top floor will finally be filled and C-FAX can finally upgrade their old equipment.

I wonder who will inhabit the old Mellor Building on Broughton. In a way it's a shame to break up "media row" on Broughton Street, home to Jack, Ocean (the back entrances), Kool, C-FAX, Victoria News Group and Monday Magazine.

#34 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:51 AM

CBC rocks my world. I find the hosts very warm and appreciative of the human condition. They are funny without being mean, no small feat. Listening to CBC makes me feel all fuzzy and patriotic.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:26 PM

A-channel is reporting that CFAX has been evacuated with a "burning smell".

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:16 PM

They're back on the air; evacuation order lifted...no word on what the cause is yet. Something was burning. Maybe one of Barry Bowman's old tapes spontaneously combusted.

The VFD check things out...

Everything seems under control:

Won't someone save Terry Spence?!!

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:26 PM

classic.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:36 AM

Langdon in and Rebecca Scott out at CFAX PM talk show. Thank the Lord. She was terrible, and quite frankly, not very bright and certainly not articulate. She also prompted my only negative letter ever written to CFAX. Maybe they listened. ;)

#39 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:12 AM

I wasn't a fan either.

#40 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:31 AM

Fall (S4) numbers just released:

Victoria S4 07 Ratings 12+

S4 S1 S4 (2006)
CKKQ (The Q) 10.9 9.6 12.2
CIOC (The Ocean) 10.1 12.4 10.2
CFAX (News/Talk) 10.0 14.9 14.0
CJZN (The Zone) 6.7 4.6 5.4
CHBE (KOOL FM) 6.0 3.3 4.7
CHTT (Jack) 4.4 8.4 9.5

The big news is the de-throning of C-FAX. They're not #1 for the first time in a generation.

Also, the resurgence of KOOL FM from the depths of despair and the huge fall of Jack FM is interesting. Zone 91 continues to gain in popularity.

EDIT: Mike, isn't there a preserve spacing tag like on ssp?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users