Beef recall

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Beef recall expanded to include more products

The list of ground beef products potentially contaminated with E. coli bacteria continues to grow and encompass the country's top grocery retailers, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency said Friday.

Unbranded meat products carried at Walmart locations in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia have officially been recalled, the CFIA said. The other products included in the expanded advisory were sold at Metro locations in Ontario and Safeway stores in all five provinces.

Read more: Beef recall expanded to include more products | CTV British Columbia News

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

I suddenly have a craving for burgers.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

Makes me thankful that I grind my own meat

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

Makes me thankful that I grind my own meat

Don't worry I am sure you'll find a date soon. :D

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

^ :)

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

:cheers: ^ ^
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

:farmer: :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

One man who worked for an industrial company that had a contract with XL Foods told CBC News that he saw an employee go into the washroom wearing his protective gear during one of his trips to the plant.

"Throwing it on the washroom floor in front of all the urinals and relieving himself and then picking up his garments off the floor. Picking up his scabbord with his knives off the floor and then returning to the production facility," said the man, whose identity the CBC agreed to conceal.

From XL Foods workers question food safety at meat plant -  News - MSN CA

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Honestly, there has been a pretty collective "ho-hum" from consumers. Meat sales levels are unchanged.

I guess it helps that nobody had died. AND millions of Canadians get food poisoning every year, with or without XL.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

Well, I guess its time to go vegan........except for chicken fingers!

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

Well, I guess its time to go vegan!

I'd rather have E. Coli :P

#12 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

I'd rather have E. Coli :P

Me too; if eating meat was good enough for our cave-dwelling anscestors its certainly good enough for me. Trick of course is to find and consume products not impregnated to the hilt with steroids and growth hormones.

Funny how just about anyone I know calling themselves "vegan" - I have one close friend and two co-workers in that camp - is seemingly_always down hard with one illness or another. Almost without fail. I often notice too that these folks seem to have the skin pallour of a tuna fish and are invariably always grumbling about something health-wise or feeling generally 'off'. Everyhing in balance and in moderation I say, including eating chicken, fish (especially) and, yes, beef. :wave:

#13 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

I still like eating meat, but have decided to scale my consumption directly to the the difference between the cost of buying factory-farmed meat and that of locally-produced, humanely-raised, antibiotic-free, hormone-free animals.

I think it means I'll be eating about a third of what I used to, but doubt that will be a problem.

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

What is really frustrating is that there is a vaccine against e-coli that costs $6 with two injections per cow required. So for $12 per head they could have saved the millions this is costing them.

If I were a meat plant owner I would only buy cattle that had the vaccine.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

Twenty years ago I read an article on how e-coli is introduced into the processing system. Afterward, I decided to stop eating red meat. Sure enough, the XL Foods incident replicated the common scenario laid out in that article. In short, a worker on a fast-moving disassembly line accidentally slices open the cow's digestive track, and fecal matter empties onto the carcass, contaminating everything. The low-paid worker is hesitant to hit the red button to stop the line because of the huge cost of everything coming to a halt. By the time he decides it's serious enough to stop the line, a lot of contaminated meat has already escaped the line.

The big difference between now and 20 years ago when I got my Food-Safe training is that meat processors now use needles to tenderize the meat. In the old days, you knew that unlike hamburger, any e-coli on steak only exists on the exterior surface and it's killed during cooking, even on a rare steak. But with this needle tenderizing, media are reporting that the needles are carrying the e-coli into the interior of the steak, well away from the sanitizing flame. So no cut of meat is apparently safe.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#16 Van

Van
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

Funny how just about anyone I know calling themselves "vegan" - I have one close friend and two co-workers in that camp - is seemingly_always down hard with one illness or another. Almost without fail. I often notice too that these folks seem to have the skin pallour of a tuna fish and are invariably always grumbling about something health-wise or feeling generally 'off'. Everyhing in balance and in moderation I say, including eating chicken, fish (especially) and, yes, beef. :wave:

Sounds like they have a nutritional deficiency more than anything. Or they're just generally leading an unhealthy lifestyle, even if they're vegan.

Well, I guess its time to go vegan...

Still not safe from E. Coli. I remember there was an E. Coli outbreak in spinach in the US a few years ago.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

Hold on. So we had some type of Hepatitis scare and people lined up for hours to get a shot.

Now they have confirmed the Vancouver Island case is related to XL beef, and they are not giving us the city of the victim, or the store the beef was bought at?

#18 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

It was in Nanaimo.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

It was in Nanaimo.

Yes, it was. But it happened in September, and they don't know where this guy got the meat. Odd.

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

This is the most ridiculous recall ever. Basically, it boils down to this:

"Every type and cut of beef, purchased at any store in North America may be contaminated. Oh, yeah; this all happened last month so there's nothing you can do now."
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users