Photo

Who has the bacon?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

According to Adam Stirling's guests we are in for a big bacon shortage.
This is mainly due to widespread drought, and a shortage of grain for the pigs.

What are we going do do? How will this impact your breakfast? Will you be hoarding pork in your deep freeze?

Worldwide bacon shortage unavoidable? 'Hogwash,' says Canadian group | Weird | News | Toronto Sun shortage 'unavoidable,' pork group cautions

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

There will be no "shortage", long term or short term.

It actually appears there will be a drop in prices in the short term, as farmers send more pigs to slaughter now, than usual. Then there will be an increase in prices next year.

You see, I laughed at that guest, stating how dramatic it was going to be (for producers) and calling for government action to give "bridge loans" to farmers. If they can convince banks that giving them bridge loans make sense, as they will still have lots of stocks when the prices rise and they can re-pay, then banks will do it. They don't need government.

And when I say there will be no "shortage", if government stays out of it, the market will take care of things, and prices will rise as supplies tighten, so there will be no shortage. Consumers that don't want to, or can't afford higher pork prices will buy a substitute. Farmers that are prepared will reap the benefits of higher prices all along the line.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

No matter how it works out I'll keep getting my bacon from Red Barn. Double smoked. Thick slices. So good.

#4 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

^Where is their bacon sourced from?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

^Where is their bacon sourced from?

Mainly pigs, I think. :farmer:

No idea, sorry. I just eat the stuff every day.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

Will you be hoarding pork in your deep freeze?

[During the 1973 meat shortage] people wasted three times more beef when it was in short supply than they did when it was plentiful.

This conclusion seemed perverse, but the data, when checked, seemed solid. Eventually a Hypothesis was put forward to account for the odd behavior: the practice of crisis-buying. When confronted with the widespread and sometimes alarmist coverage of the beef shortage in the local and national media many people may have responded by buying up all the beef they could get their hands on, even if some of the cuts were unfamiliar. Of course, they didn't necessarily know how to cook some of those cuts in an appetizing way. More important, they didn't necessarily know how to store large amounts of meat for an extended period of time. The inevitable result in either case: greater waste.

http://www.ralphmag....Y/garbology-two.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users