Photo

Mainland BC road infrastructure

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#61 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:26 AM

If Metro refuses access to their park and then the province/contractors go in anyway, what then? Does the province go ahead anyway? I doubt this will happen, but it is an interesting through process to follow, given the jurisdictional mess that would likely follow.

#62 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:17 PM

The land could very well already be owned by the province, certainly the are where the tunnel is owned by the province.   If there is enough land owned by the province, no problem

There is land owned by Metro Vancouver that might be needed, the province can simply expropriate the land they need.   

Pink on the map is municipally owned

ab9dd3e519c32b4f908983de885b88c8.jpg

#63 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

The land could very well already be owned by the province, certainly the are where the tunnel is owned by the province.   If there is enough land owned by the province, no problem

There is land owned by Metro Vancouver that might be needed, the province can simply expropriate the land they need.   

Pink on the map is municipally owned

The province absolutely can expropriate it. Whether they will is another matter, especially as most of that land is currently in a park.

#64 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:05 PM

One thing I've noticed and maybe I'm out to lunch here is that road construction quality has gone downhill big time. Take the south Fraser perimeter road for example. Just terrible engineering on there corners, bumps all over the place etc. The malahat paving job same deal. Just a general sense that these projects are always junk.

#65 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:48 PM

One thing I've noticed and maybe I'm out to lunch here is that road construction quality has gone downhill big time. Take the south Fraser perimeter road for example. Just terrible engineering on there corners, bumps all over the place etc. The malahat paving job same deal. Just a general sense that these projects are always junk.

I mentioned that perimeter road to a couple of guys who drove it a couple of weeks ago, they said it was great. I drove it a year or so ago and it was anything but. The camber on some of the intersections is all wrong causing trucks to overturn. Maybe they re-engineered it. 

• sebberry likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#66 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:54 PM

I do recall seeing news about redoing a lot of the intersections. For cars, it IS great, and the speed limit is too low. For trucks, I dunno.

The Port Mann / Hwy 1 project went well and seems well engineered.

#67 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:32 AM

I do recall seeing news about redoing a lot of the intersections. For cars, it IS great, and the speed limit is too low. For trucks, I dunno.

The Port Mann / Hwy 1 project went well and seems well engineered.

Not well from a financing point of view of course.  That's the real concern with Massey is it will be another debt mound that will need to be folded into provincial debt.

#68 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:33 AM

Not well from a financing point of view of course.  That's the real concern with Massey is it will be another debt mound that will need to be folded into provincial debt.

The amount of money it's saving people (less the toll if using the bridge), isn't insignificant. Especially for trucks. Is there ever rush hour traffic jams there now?

#69 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

The amount of money it's saving people (less the toll if using the bridge), isn't insignificant. Especially for trucks. Is there ever rush hour traffic jams there now?

I wasn't talking about the "overall benefit" or time saved.  The financing is a lie.  Both bridges are supposed to be 100% paid for by tolls, and that's clearly not happening.

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:24 PM

Once the Massey is replaced with a toll bridge that will leave Annacis and Pattullo as the only free crossings, which means more drivers will be forced to pay tolls. As long as there are options people will use them to avoid tolls.

• nagel likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#71 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:52 PM

One thing I've noticed and maybe I'm out to lunch here is that road construction quality has gone downhill big time. Take the south Fraser perimeter road for example.

Just terrible engineering on there corners, bumps all over the place etc. The Malahat paving job same deal. Just a general sense that these projects are always junk.

Sometimes all that is required are new shock absorbers and tires.

#72 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:52 PM

Sometimes all that is required are new shock absorbers and tires.

And sometimes that just makes it worse...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#73 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:32 AM

And sometimes that just makes it worse...

Dang those Datsuns!   :)

#74 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:27 AM

What gets me is when you see sections of highway that are more tar snake than asphalt.

I also love around town with all of the water main replacements we have had where they repave 75% of the street but for some reason leave an old strip of cracked and wavy pavement right down the middle or along the shoulder. WTF? That just doesn't pass the common sense test. 

Which reminds me, some of the patch jobs I have seen around town are downright laughable. Sections of Quadra look like me and a gaggle of fourth graders did the repair work.

• lanforod likes this

#75 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

I mentioned that perimeter road to a couple of guys who drove it a couple of weeks ago, they said it was great. I drove it a year or so ago and it was anything but. The camber on some of the intersections is all wrong causing trucks to overturn. Maybe they re-engineered it. 

Yep I drove it routinely for over a year after its inception; it was fine if driving a car but I remember some major roll overs with semis during the first few weeks after the FPHwy initially opened. Its a great outlet for a 'back door' escape to BCF @ Tsawwassen - our office at the time was in East Richmond so a quick trip over the Alex Fraser Bridge then turning onto the Perimeter Hwy was infinitely preferable to the more direct route heading west along Westminster Hwy and merging onto the rush hour going show on Hwy 99 South. That all said unless its been worked on in the last 12 months I agree the FPHwy route could use some remedial work....

#76 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:04 PM

What gets me is when you see sections of highway that are more tar snake than asphalt.

Tar snake, I had never heard that description before but I immediately knew what you were talking about.

Most muni's are OK but some don't sand after doing the crack sealing and that can make it an adventure when you are going around a corner on a motorcycle.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:50 AM

So is any replacement for the Massey Tunnel now dead?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#78 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:16 AM

Sure sounds like it. Seems like that is a political mistake, as everyone stuck in that traffic every day will be reminded daily that the Liberals would be partway done a new bridge already.

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:24 AM

Sure sounds like it. Seems like that is a political mistake, as everyone stuck in that traffic every day will be reminded daily that the Liberals would be partway done a new bridge already.

I guess it's made more difficult with the NDP removing bridge tolls.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#80 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:44 AM

26 billion in infrastructure announced... surely they could have found 1.5 billion in there for a Massey bridge, particularly since much of the design work etc. is likely done already.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users