off-topic2.JPG

• nagel likes this

#2322 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:34 AM

This is on topic. 

Mike is saying that because there is no Costco store on the peninsula, this is an indication that development is at a standstill and subsequently supply and demand is driving prices for residences up.

#2323 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:43 AM

^ I'm sorry, I don't understand. Could you elaborate please?

Westhills, bear mountain, happy valley, royal bay, kettle creek/goldstream, millstream, numerous low rises, numerous smaller subdivisions, etc etc. What has happened on the peninsula in the last 20 years that is even remotely comparable? The peninsula as a whole has decided they prefer ALR and neighbourhoods of rich old people

Edited by RFS, 30 April 2018 - 07:44 AM.

#2324 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:47 AM

Mistake might be the wrong word here, but Central Saanich (or wherever the Costco was to have been situated) would have been a taxation boon for an area like Keating. Instead it's deadsville and businesses struggle with situating there/retaining staff.

But that being said, the peninsula is absolutely, hands down 1001% not a place for massive development the likes that would make it a secondary business and commerce node. There's absolutely no appetite for that, none. And there likely won't be for a very long time.

I just don't understand it. We have a West Shore that's being built-up for major changes and its role as a business centre/employment node, but some of you actually believe the peninsula is where the action should be? Where'd that even come from? The peninsula is full of farmers and kids learning to ride horses. It's not and will never be a place for office buildings.

• rjag and Wayne like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2325 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

A hub is not at the end, it’s in the centre and well connected to other hubs, like the airport and the ferry.....
Langford will grow and have offices and some great features. Who knows, in 50 years it could be amazing. But it’s not situated well to be a hub.

#2326 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:02 AM

See above. The peninsula is well served by the core which has 250,000 people. Langford is not.

#2327 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:07 AM

If that were the case, the Saanich municipal hall area should have been downtown, not Fort Victoria.

Langford is very well connected to Swartz Bay. The driving time to Langford is shorter than in to Victoria. Once the interchange is built it will be shorter still.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2328 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:07 AM

See above. The peninsula is well served by the core which has 250,000 people. Langford is not.

What??

I'm stepping away.

Know it all.

#2329 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

Victoria has its own transportation hub. Ferries, helicopters, float planes.

#2330 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:22 AM

What??

I'm stepping away.

I win! (Insert banana dance)

#2331 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:24 AM

Sorry to have caused all that excitement. 

• Matt R. likes this

#2332 van-island

van-island
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

I just don't understand it. We have a West Shore that's being built-up for major changes and its role as a business centre/employment node, but some of you actually believe the peninsula is where the action should be? Where'd that even come from? The peninsula is full of farmers and kids learning to ride horses. It's not and will never be a place for office buildings.

And what we need given the amount of housing development and potential office development on the west shore is a real transportation solution that is scalable without multi-year, multi-million dollar public works projects coming after years of point failures. We need to situate a rail corridor somewhere NOW and allow residential and office development to grow organically around the stations, rather than trying to shoehorn a line in there after. A vehicle-based system is too susceptible to point failures and past experience all over the world has shown that scaling is problematic, not to mention the other negative environment, social and aesthetic impacts.

• rsnxmt likes this

#2333 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

A vehicle-based system is too susceptible to point failures 

Is there a point failure between downtown and Sidney?  Not really, we have wide roads (Blanshard and out) and a decent highway sufficient for the population out there.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2334 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

We need to situate a rail corridor somewhere NOW and allow residential and office development to grow organically around the stations, rather than trying to shoehorn a line in there after. 

We can all agree to that here, but I've said it dozens of times here, neither politicians or residents are interested in very high density along either the E&N or the Goose.

• rsnxmt likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2335 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:28 PM

Is there a point failure between downtown and Sidney?  Not really, we have wide roads (Blanshard and out) and a decent highway sufficient for the population out there.

I would agree Pat Bay is great with little issues during rush hour.  Never any issues heading south in the mornings, but it does bottle neck around Blanshard and Saanich and again at Haliburton heading north in the afternoons.  Regardless, its not the Colwood crawl and I am generally home in minimum time

I've beat people leaving Oak Bay or Fairfield and meeting them on the north side of downtown during rush hour many times

#2336 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:38 PM

Right, Pat Bay Highway works because it's the right size for the population moving on it.  Nobody is calling for rail to Sidney.

So let's simply right-size the TCH and and an additional road if necessary, for the population it needs to serve.

#2337 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

Right, Pat Bay Highway works because it's the right size for the population moving on it.  Nobody is calling for rail to Sidney.

So let's simply right-size the TCH and and an additional road if necessary, for the population it needs to serve.

The population now or the population that a right-sized TCH would encourage?  Or does right-size mean more than simple expansion (e.g. dedicated bus and/or HOV lanes)?

#2338 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

And what we need given the amount of housing development and potential office development on the west shore is a real transportation solution that is scalable without multi-year, multi-million dollar public works projects coming after years of point failures. We need to situate a rail corridor somewhere NOW and allow residential and office development to grow organically around the stations, rather than trying to shoehorn a line in there after. A vehicle-based system is too susceptible to point failures and past experience all over the world has shown that scaling is problematic, not to mention the other negative environment, social and aesthetic impacts.

You mean the one that's already there and goes right into this giant swath of undeveloped land that is being developed now?

4IIJtsl.jpg

• Nparker and rsnxmt like this

#2339 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

The population now or the population that a right-sized TCH would encourage? Or does right-size mean more than simple expansion (e.g. dedicated bus and/or HOV lanes)?

People mistakenly think that 40,000 more people in the West Shore means 40,000 more coming Downtown to work daily. Downtown is not expanding that quick. But yes some of the 40,000 new workers need to work in Oab Bay but most need to go to Saanich and Keating etc. It’s pretty easy to open things up for them on the highway.

#2340 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:09 PM

^I would agree, there has been very little expansion in office space overall in the downtown area over the last decade

the CRD really needs a major new employer full of high paying jobs.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users