Photo

Victoria's housing market, home prices and values

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#3741 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 08:26 AM

US News, a major publication has a December 17th article about the "10 Best Places to Retire in Canada" written for Americans.  Guess what location is number one on their list?  Hint: British culture and afternoon tea......

https://money.usnews...-canada?slide=2

Edited by Daveyboy, 23 December 2021 - 08:27 AM.

#3742 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 09:17 AM

^ That’s all we need is geriatric refugees from the Excited Sates of America.

I get a kick out of the statement “Hundreds of islands lie off the shores of Victoria… Really?
  • Teardrop likes this

#3743 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 09:20 AM

Oh yeah, when you factor in all of the islands off our coast there’s a whole bunch. Just east of Swartz Bay there’s like a dozen that 99% of Victorians will have never heard of.
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3744 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 09:22 AM

I hit one with my prop at high tide once.
  • Victoria Watcher and Teardrop like this

#3745 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 09:33 AM

That's what happens when there's too many boats in the water.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3746 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 10:26 AM

We need a wall.

#3747 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 12:40 PM

Well they did their homework can't argue with places like Squamish and Canmore particularly although the "British thing" re Victoria makes me grate my teeth. My extended British family certainly didn't think much of that tired old meme, nor did they remotely think the area had a "British feel". Interesting the article didn't touch on the significantly higher cost of living in the BC locations, presumably the assumption being that price is no object if retirees can retire in a foreign country, in addition to the favorable exchange rate....

#3748 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 12:48 PM

My extended British family certainly didn't think much of that tired old meme, nor did they remotely think the area had a "British feel".

To be fair, modern day England doesn’t have a “British feel” either.

• Barrrister likes this

#3749 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 12:51 PM

^Victoria is cheap by international standards given the exchange rate. The other thing to bear in mind is that in China alone there are more millionaires then there are people in BC.

• Nparker, AllseeingEye, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#3750 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 December 2021 - 01:11 PM

House just around the corner from me just sold for $200k over asking at $2million.  Our street has reached peak insanity https://listing.upli...-3553-Kelsey-Pl

#3751 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 01:13 PM

Is there a link to Realtor.ca? That site just kept loading content (it literally said “loading…”) for so long I had to turn it off.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.

#3752 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 01:14 PM

That's a cool mid-century modern. A great place to raise the next generation of racists.*

*Lisa Helps' philosophy, not mine

• rjag likes this

#3753 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 01:59 PM

To be fair, modern day England doesn’t have a “British feel” either.

Probably true although this conversation above was actually back in the early 80's - forty years ago. Even then "British Victoria" didn't really work even for English people. And partially to my point inasmuch as the Brits themselves don't care - recall Brutalist architecture was/is a British building form which emerged post WWII in rebellion against the sort of Britain we tried so hard to imitate and emulate here for decades - why should we

I've never understood our fixation with faux "Britain" and was frankly very happy when Tourism Victoria and other agencies finally jettisoned it a few years ago.

As I've posted repeatedly for years on VV our own unique west coast circumstances - an unsurpassed and unparalleled natural beauty both on land and on the water, our FN cultures properly cultivated and promoted in concert and partnership with the FN peoples naturally are infinitely more interesting - not to mention representative of this area - than vainly trying to (badly) imitate a culture a continent and an ocean away. Architecturally IMO the very worst example of that was the horrific Songhees development in the 80's - replete with those putrid silly peaks, gables, turrets etc. Good God it was fugly -  but "hey" at least it was't tall and it looked very vaguely English I suppose in a weird rural-castle-manor house sort of way.

My hope is that when the current development at Songhees/Bayview is eventually finished that it will dwarf and entirely hide as far as possible the hideous result of "Songhees One".

• qv likes this

#3754 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 03:39 PM

Is there a link to Realtor.ca? That site just kept loading content (it literally said “loading…”) for so long I had to turn it off.

3553 Kelsey Pl, Oak Bay, BC V8P 4Y1 For Sale | RE/MAX | 891433 (remax.ca)

#3755 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 03:41 PM

That's a cool mid-century modern. A great place to raise the next generation of racists.*

*Lisa Helps' philosophy, not mine

The whole neighbourhood is full of racists and young families. We have racists from China, Korea, UK, USA and quite a few domestic racists as well. Its a melting pot of racism....Lisa Helps really shouldnt ride her bike in this 'hood

Theres even some illegal racist suites where racist UVic and Camosun students practice their advanced racism

Edited by rjag, 23 December 2021 - 03:43 PM.

• Nparker, SimonH, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#3756 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 03:44 PM

....Lisa Helps really shouldn't ride her bike in this 'hood...

Or even her broom.

• rjag likes this

#3757 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 03:48 PM

The whole neighbourhood is full of racists and young families. We have racists from China, Korea, UK, USA and quite a few domestic racists as well. Its a melting pot of racism....Lisa Helps really shouldnt ride her bike in this 'hood

Theres even some illegal racist suites where racist UVic and Camosun students practice their advanced racism

Impossible!

Know it all.

#3758 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 09:18 AM

What’s pretty funny, is the article doesn’t actually tell us “how.” The author says the “how” is still to be decided, but you’d never know that unless you took the time to read the article.

The CBC has a serious bias issue that it either doesn’t want to confront or it doesn’t mind. If I had any say in the matter I would create a metre for every CBC article that points a needle in favour of the government in office, or against, and in favour of another party, or against. In this case the article has a deadline of this:

How Ottawa plans to jump-start housing construction next year

But within, the article says this:

The major federal parties and economists at Canada's major banks tend to agree that new housing is needed to create a more stable real estate market.

What's less clear is how the federal government should go about funding new construction, and how much is actually needed.

- https://www.cbc.ca/n...-2022-1.6284667

We have references to vague programs and a commitment by 2025 to do something (2025 being post-next election).

Know it all.

#3759 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 12:44 PM

^ Hmmm. 100K new homes by 2025 or about 70K per year. That won't even accommodate the 200K a year in additional immigration the Libs want to add. 

Edited by spanky123, 24 December 2021 - 12:44 PM.

#3760 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,344 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 12:56 PM

^ Hmmm. 100K new homes by 2025 or about 70K per year. That won't even accommodate the 200K a year in additional immigration the Libs want to add. 

Well presumably it's not designed to displace private homebuilding.  Which can average over 300,000/yr.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 December 2021 - 12:59 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users