Victoria's housing market, home prices and values

• Please log in to reply
5833 replies to this topic

#4881 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 10:58 PM

The last CoV election proved that.

As well as the last provincial and federal elections.

#4882 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 29 January 2023 - 11:24 AM

The last CoV election proved that.

hmmm. 37%?

My theory? If someone wanted change to happen, we'd need to cut the leash the NDP tugs on poor suffering Victoria. To do this, we'd just need more voters. 

Rape, assault, explosions in BHP, rapidly increasing stranger attacks, being lied to and ignored by city council, horrible homeless policy, diminishing services every year, bylaws that are never enforced, councillors that put their signs up 2 weeks before it's legal because they can, councillors pretending they're not in a slate, Mayors hiring the daughter of the finance minister, councillors breaking the law, lying about where they are during meetings, conflicts of interest, corrupted governance, illegal secret meetings because councillors don't have the courage to make transparent decisions, councillors involved in illegal activity ... this is a small sample.

I have no idea what would motivate more than 50% of this city to vote, and I watch with pained embarrassment when an idiot councillor says something like "I won and I get to do whatever I want", when the same idiot got 15% of he community to vote for him.

• Nparker, LJ, dasmo and 2 others like this

#4883 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 11:30 AM

The goal is disengagement….
  • Nparker likes this

#4884 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 09:05 AM

The goal is disengagement….

one wonders

#4885 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 12:09 PM

one wonders

No need to wonder. The “think tank” that created the marketing materials and theology behind the missing middle prescribes this explicitly.

“ The goal is disengagement

We all know about successful processes, as measured by the how-many count, that flunked out when it came to producing real, measurable results. So long as you view engagement essentially as an end goal, you’re missing out on its true value as a tool for moving communities forward.

We unsettle people when we tell them, no, your goal shouldn’t be engagement. It should be disengagement.”

https://www.cnu.org/...ytelling-themes

If you watch their videos they will explain why single family zoning is racists and many other mind bending tools for social engineering.
  • Nparker likes this

#4886 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 12:42 PM

No need to wonder. The “think tank” that created the marketing materials and theology behind the missing middle prescribes this explicitly.

“ The goal is disengagement

We all know about successful processes, as measured by the how-many count, that flunked out when it came to producing real, measurable results. So long as you view engagement essentially as an end goal, you’re missing out on its true value as a tool for moving communities forward.

We unsettle people when we tell them, no, your goal shouldn’t be engagement. It should be disengagement.”

https://www.cnu.org/...ytelling-themes

If you watch their videos they will explain why single family zoning is racists and many other mind bending tools for social engineering.

The next line is typical of the naïveté and pointlessness of such missives:

We unsettle people when we tell them, no, your goal shouldn’t be engagement. It should be disengagement. Reaching a point where trust has been built, people are satisfied and they retreat, confident that their interests are not being undermined.

This was written by someone with little to no understanding of politics or human nature. This will never happen and the circumstances this kind of thinking creates, the policy this kind of thinking espouses, are both the guarantees that people will be looking harder and more often. 

#4887 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 01:14 PM

That’s just double think being programmed into our “leaders” who are being indoctrinated with this. They are no longer operating the mechanics of the city but are rather tools of social engineering of the Davos class. This is why if you google missing middle the exact thing that has and is happening here is happening everywhere. All with a similar veneer of being a grassroots problem with a locally designed solution.
  • Nparker likes this

#4888 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,865 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 06:26 AM

$4,375,000

291 King George Terr

https://www.realtor....ak-bay-gonzales

922579_1.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 February 2023 - 06:27 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#4889 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 11:28 AM

I know that house. 

You could put quite a few townhouses on that lot and every one would sell for $2mm +.

#4890 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 11:29 AM

It's in Oak Bay, so not going to happen.

It's an interesting house.

#4891 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 11:34 AM

I might have a fold-down boat ramp:

fold up.jpg

fold down.jpg

#4892 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 11:37 AM

Hold on, more like this:

fold down with boat.jpg

Waterfront homes with no access to the water seem lame to me.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 February 2023 - 11:38 AM.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#4893 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 06:10 PM

January data: https://victoria.cit...gh-home-prices/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4894 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:11 AM

“Despite the slower start to the market in January, and our constrained inventory levels, some consumers still found themselves in multiple-offer situations, particularly on the types of properties that represent the crucial missing middle segment of our market.”

Rebecca Sanders – who has been looking to purchase property in Victoria during the past few months to get out of renting – called it “multiple offer madness.”

“With rising rates, I didn’t expect so many people to be bidding on the same property,” Sanders told Black Press Media. “It was a little disheartening. It really was madness as the price kept going up with all of the offers. I was told to maybe try not asking for an inspection to get to the front of the line but my real estate agent said that was a bad idea. So I had to drop out of the bidding.”

https://www.vicnews....iff-say-buyers/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 February 2023 - 04:11 AM.

#4895 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 06:42 AM

Missing middle? There were 37 townhome sales. And the average and medians were way below what we saw in 2022 and most of 2021.

So what was this person bidding on?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4896 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 03:23 PM

Investors made up 20 to 30% of homeowners in some provinces: Statistics Canada

Investors in British Columbia came in at 23.3 per cent followed by 20.4 per cent in Manitoba

https://www.vicnews....tistics-canada/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 February 2023 - 03:23 PM.

#4897 IPH

IPH
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 07:12 PM

Investor BAD! I guess renters think their fairy godmother is going to become their landlord.  

• Nparker likes this

#4898 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 08:12 PM

Looks more and more like that is the reality every day, doesn’t it?

#4899 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 08:28 PM

Just part of the continuing narrative to convince renters that the ONLY viable landlord is the state and that all private rental properties should become government owned.
  • Barrrister likes this

#4900 IPH

IPH
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 08:35 AM

Isn't something like 99% of all rental housing "Privately Owned By Investors"?  Unless the government starts seizing rental properties, buying it all would bankrupt the taxpayer.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users