Victoria's housing market, home prices and values

• Please log in to reply
5833 replies to this topic

#721 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

Assuming the stat is correct, home ownership rate in Croatia is almost 90%.    So apparently most people can manage to buy a home, and the condo being barely in reach of two highly paid professions in the capital is an anomaly (right downtown, on the water?).    

Edit:  Interesting thread on high home ownership rates in those countries: http://marginalrevol...ul-country.html

This is where the real life analysis paints the true picture.  I don't have a single family member in Croatia that rents.  I only know of one family member that has a mortgage.  Sounds pretty good right?  The reason you have very few renters is a lot of individuals cannot afford to rent; therefore, they live with their parents in crammed quarters.  The reason very few people have a mortgage is rates are high and incomes cannot support purchasing real estate; therefore, most people wait to inherit family homes and condos or the proceeds of such so they can buy something else.

Even though I can only think of one family member that has purchased a property without using the proceeds of an inheritance sale all my family members "own."  One example is I have three cousins that are all married that all have two kids and the three families share a 1,200 sq/ft home that was built by uncle.

Many other factors such as during the communist regime many people (with the party) were assigned free condos and then they passed those onto their kids so you often have individuals with very low income but significant mortgage free real estate assets.  

It's really weird.  90% of people own, almost no one has a mortgage, and things still suck from an economic affordability angle.  Growing up in Croatia my parents both has professional jobs, they had a car, we had a house (no mortgage) and they still left for economic reasons - best decision they ever made.  Health care, education, etc., is all half decent in Croatia so few people leave for those reasons.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#722 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:30 AM

Marilyn television show noted several real-estate markets that are good buys, and Victoria was one of them.

Here's the show: http://www.marilyn.c...HouseShopCanada

Marilyn show noted that price has already corrected in Victoria as the local market is tied to the US market to some degree.

One of the houses featured on the show is our very own G-man's place that's currently listed for $509k (http://3104quadra.realbird.com/)

Marilyn-1.jpg

Marilyn-2.jpg

Marilyn-3.jpg

• G-Man and johnk like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#723 mcmusty

mcmusty
  • 34 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:55 PM

When did this dip in Victoria home prices occur concurrent with the USA housing crash in 2008? 

Edited by mcmusty, 03 February 2015 - 06:56 PM.

#724 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:14 PM

It did, it just went up again. Since when is our market tied to the U.S.? Nonsense. It was overvalued so it underperformed, that's it.

#725 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:26 PM

Odd statement for sure, but that's their take on it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#726 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:48 PM

Marilyn television show noted several real-estate markets that are good buys, and Victoria was one of them.

Here's the show: http://www.marilyn.c...HouseShopCanada

Marilyn show noted that price has already corrected in Victoria as the local market is tied to the US market to some degree.

One of the houses featured on the show is our very own G-man's place that's currently listed for $509k (http://3104quadra.realbird.com/)

attachicon.gifMarilyn-1.jpg

attachicon.gifMarilyn-2.jpg

attachicon.gifMarilyn-3.jpg

Nice

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#727 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:50 AM

Presenting the house on Quadra as a good buy misrepresents the Victoria market.  (Sorry, G-Man.)  It is beautiful.  I love houses like that.  If I saw it from, say, Toronto, I'd be jumping up and down, saying, "Yay!  the Victoria market is great value!"

But it's on Quadra at Finlayson and for all its elegance, breaks the location, location, location rule.  By Victoria standards, it's right on top of a very busy intersection.  <insert blank space for inevitable replies about how Good God, Woman, How Provincial Can You Get>

Put that house down in the middle of Fairfield or even Vic West and you'd shoot right back up into the unaffordable zone very quickly.

Again, I love the house.  But I think the Marilyn show's decision to feature it as an example of our desirable market is misleading.

• LocalMom likes this

#728 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:55 AM

The irony of course is having spent time at G-man's house the noise from traffic is not noticable unless you listen for it. Its quite remarkable.

Know it all.

#729 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:23 AM

It is only undesirable if you are looking to buy a house like one you would find in Langford. I don't see how it would be much different than buying a townhouse downtown. On the positive side it is across the street from a school, on both the number 6 and number 8 bus routes. A 1 minute walk from Topaz Park, 5 minutes walk from Mayfair and a 7 minute walk from Quadra Village.

It is by far the cheapest $ to square footage in the city and it is really nice inside too. And yes you are right if it was half a block away in pretty much any direction it would by 600k, in Fairfield it would be closer to 700k I would expect.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#730 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

And its already 10k off! Even better of a deal!

#731 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:36 AM

:)

It has a whole new look!

#732 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

Is it still for sale?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#733 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:42 AM

Yup

It has a whole new look!

#734 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:01 PM

Looks like this thread has taken quite a personal turn...

Anyway the only thing that matters is the sale.   If it's fairly priced it will sell, if it isn't it won't.  Looks like it wasn't quite affordable enough at $509k, but it does seem like a good buy to me in today's market.   

However I like the magazine's assessment that Victoria is the "only city that's had a significant price correction already".

#735 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

I think Victoria's 'price correction' was more in the lack of SFH prices going up for the past 8 years, rather than an actual dip.

#736 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:05 PM

I don't follow the stats closely, but in my neighborhood prices have certainly taken a hit since 2008. My in laws just sold their family home in the Uplands, and it went for several hundred thousand dollars less than the assessed value after being on the market for almost 18 months.

While the bottom certainly hasn't fallen out, I think you can buy a lot more for $750,000 than you could 7 or 8 years ago.

• Mixed365 likes this

#737 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:26 PM

While the bottom certainly hasn't fallen out, I think you can buy a lot more for $750,000 than you could 7 or 8 years ago.

Especially if you are considering inflation, or shopping outside the core, or for less desirable properties (like on busy roads for example).

#738 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

The graphs were pretty flat, we were looking at them earlier in this or another thread, talking about how Victoria has around a 7 year cycle (up, flat, up, flat). Seems we are in for a longer than 7 year flat period though.

Uplands is probably a bad example!

#739 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:32 PM

Yup

Are you using a realtor at all?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#740 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:48 AM

^ Will PM you.

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users