Victoria's housing market, home prices and values

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#761 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:51 AM

The CMHC has released its 2015 outlook for Victoria. Prior to Citified's launch we'll be publishing select articles directly on VibrantVictoria.

Have to love their 2016 predictions.....100% guess in my opinion.

• Nparker likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#762 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:21 AM

Housing-starts-first-half-2015.jpg

Housing starts rise 65% throughout south Island

By Mike Kozakowski, Citified.ca

http://victoria.citi...t-south-island/

Housing starts throughout metropolitan Victoria rose sharply in the first half of 2015 compared to the same period last year, according to the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation's (CMHC) preliminary housing start data.

Construction started on 984 homes in the first six months of the year, a rise of 65% over 2014's 596. The biggest jump was in multi-unit housing projects totalling 681 units compared to 336 the year before, an increase of 103%. Single family home construction rose by a comparatively small 17% to 303 starts from the previous year's 260. Throughout the province housing starts increased over last year's 2,324 by 30% to 3,010. [Read more]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#763 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:32 AM

Victoria receives sole perfect score in CMHC real-estate assessment

http://victoria.citi...ate-assessment/

Victoria has achieved the only perfect score in a Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation assessment of 15 Canadian real-estate markets.

The assessed period covers August through October and describes Victoria's housing supply and demand ratio as evenly balanced with no concerns regarding upwards price pressures or overbuilding. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#764 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:32 AM

A mortgage broker told me yesterday that banks were being tough on lending but demand was crazy. A realtor friend also said demand was nuts right now.

#765 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

Vancouver had no overvaluation in July but it does as of August? lol what?

Edited by Szeven, 29 October 2015 - 10:52 AM.

#766 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:22 AM

I don't think anyone can argue that Vancouver hasn't been overvalued for a long, long time.

#767 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:27 AM

Overvalued is now the new normal in Vancouver :)

• lanforod likes this

Know it all.

#768 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:15 AM

October property sales surge 20%; inventory dampens

http://victoria.citi...entory-dampens/

The start to the fourth quarter of 2015 showed no signs of let up for Victoria real-estate.

According to statistics released by the Victoria Real-Estate Board, 734 homes on the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) sold in October, beating out last October's total of 602 sales by 20%. These figures, however, do not include pre-sales of condos, townhomes or single family dwellings which are rarely listed on the MLS.

Victoria REALTOR® Marko Juras says 2015 has been a pivotal year in the local real-estate industry since the market crash of 2008. [Full article]

Know it all.

#769 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:20 PM

Downtown Victoria building boom to deliver nearly 1,000 housing units by 2018

http://victoria.citi...-units-by-2018/

Nearly 1,000 condos and rental apartments are currently under construction in downtown Victoria as a fever pitch building boom continues.

A seemingly insatiable appetite for purpose-built rental homes is the driving force behind construction activity totaling 643 units across five projects. From affordable to condo-like quality apartments, developers are rushing to address a multi-decade lull in purpose-built rental construction with lenders eager to invest in stable, long-term opportunities as a hedge against low interest rates.[Full article]

Know it all.

#770 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:15 PM

Latoria-Road-construction-November-2015.jpg

Buyers flock to Latoria Road corridor's semi-rural suburban housing

http://victoria.citi...burban-housing/

The Latoria Road corridor cutting through the southern edge of the municipalities of Colwood and Langford is undergoing an explosive transformation as buyers turn to the semi-rural suburban community on the Westshore.

The four kilometer long east-west connector, once lined with farms and acreages, links Metchosin Road in Colwood and Happy Valley Road in Langford, respectively, and represents one of the most active development areas on the south Island where nearly 700 homes are in-planning, under construction or have been recently occupied. In addition to that figure approximately 450 homes have been earmarked for development at Colwood's Olympic View Golf Club, accessed off Latoria Road, and 1,800 residences are envisioned for the Royal Bay community soon to get underway at the east end of Latoria Road (recently realigned and renamed Latoria Boulevard). [Full article]

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#771 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

Future unhappy TCH commuters.

• Nparker likes this

#772 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

It's one of those things, I guess. Either you pay $800,000 plus high taxes for a home with a yard in the centre of the urban core, or you pay $650,000 with lower taxes for a larger home with a larger yard that requires a commute. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Know it all.

#773 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:55 PM

It's one of those things, I guess. Either you pay $800,000 plus high taxes for a home with a yard in the centre of the urban core, or you pay $650,000 with lower taxes for a larger home with a larger yard that requires a commute. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Totally damned both ways.  I chose the former and if I hadn't I'm sure I'd be a TCH complainer too.  Aren't the taxes about the same though?  I thought the taxes in Colwood for instance are quite high, $ for $.

#774 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:38 PM

Could be, for sure. I guess I'm making an assumption based on what peeps in Langford are saying.

Know it all.

#775 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:37 PM

And most likely another car if one of the couple works somewhere else. Hard to own and operate a decent car for less than $500/month.

#776 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:31 PM

Not to mention a 30 minute drive for a good cocktail or a coffee. Although that close to the world's best 1.50 hot dog? Pros and cons..... pros and cons.......

Edited by Szeven, 24 November 2015 - 05:33 PM.

#777 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

I quite like that area myself, actually. Royal Bay is going to be insanely popular. Think Bear Mountain+Royal Oak+Dean Park but oceanside. It's going to be spectacular.

Know it all.

#778 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:05 PM

You know more about what is planned than I do so I hope you are right. Given housing prices I thought the demand would be 2500 sq ft houses on 2500 sq ft lots, not like dean park.

#779 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

the world's best 1.50 hot dog

Ok, I'll bite (sorry) Where exactly is the infamous $1.50 hot dog served up?

#780 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:35 PM

Sparky, on 24 Nov 2015 - 7:26 PM, said:

Ok, I'll bite (sorry) Where exactly is the infamous $1.50 hot dog served up?

You're kidding me Sparky. Get thee to Costco.

• sebberry likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users