Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Cherry Bank | 8-storeys | Built - completed in 2009

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#101 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:50 AM

A derrick crane has just showed up at Cherry Bank site, usually a sign the crane is coming down, surprises me slightly because they only have windows up to the 4th floor...

#102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:16 PM

It never ceases to amaze me at the speed with which Campbell Construction operates. Cherry Bank went up in no time, and compared to Juliet (Farmer), Aria went up in no time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#103 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:02 PM

It never ceases to amaze me at the speed with which Campbell Construction operates. Cherry Bank went up in no time, and compared to Juliet (Farmer), Aria went up in no time.

The speed at which a multi-storey concrete building can cycle through a floor has about 75% to do with building design and only about 25% to do with the company building it.

Example, Farmer is rocking those simple square boxes at Dockside green, whereas Campbells Chelsea took almost a year to pour a couple floors of concrete. Why? It's all about the design, floorplans, column locations, walls, architectural concrete.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

#104 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:08 PM

The speed at which a multi-storey concrete building can cycle through a floor has about 75% to do with building design and only about 25% to do with the company building it.

Example, Farmer is rocking those simple square boxes at Dockside green, whereas Campbells Chelsea took almost a year to pour a couple floors of concrete. Why? It's all about the design, floorplans, column locations, walls, architectural concrete.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I'm certainly going to have to agree for the most part with Zim on this one!

#105 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:33 PM

I'll second the motion. Floor layout, column locations can kill speed especially when moving flyforms on a high rise.

I guess Campbell is all done their contract at Cherry Bank. Denford Construction, the general contractor, will finish it off pretty quick I'm sure.

#106 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:00 PM

I'll second the motion. Floor layout, column locations can kill speed especially when moving flyforms on a high rise.

I guess Campbell is all done their contract at Cherry Bank. Denford Construction, the general contractor, will finish it off pretty quick I'm sure.

Sounds like it, I know Campbell moved their trailers off last week as well...The finishing certainly has been moving at a fast clip in comparison

#107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:13 PM

So what was the hold-up at both Corazon and Juliet? It seems like those projects took a very long time to complete, whereas Aria went up surprisingly quickly (considering its unique shape and relatively large floorplate).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#108 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:46 AM

So what was the hold-up at both Corazon and Juliet? It seems like those projects took a very long time to complete, whereas Aria went up surprisingly quickly (considering its unique shape and relatively large floorplate).

Without being able to speak directly on either of those jobs, it could be a wide range of holds up in the time its taken to complete the jobs. I've been on a few jobs over the last few years and I've found when you are building a multi-storey concrete structure, you almost always have changes of some form, from engineers and architects, this can certainly add time to a job, especially if they involve certain parts of a slab or columns. There can be problems in materials arriving (precast, rebar, stone, brick, angle iron etc) there can be problems from the developer in terms of paying trades which slows work up, there can be issues in the permit process, labor shortages, so forth and so on. I haven't been here since the beginning on any of those jobs, but there can also be problems in the excavation and blasting that can cause jobs to have a slower than normal start. Now that being said I've only covered a few of the reasons a job can take an extended period of time without accounting for the 25% of the crews/companies being hacks and I'm sure there are some other seemingly knowledgeable people out there that could add their insight as well!

PS - The Crane is now down at the Cherry Bank, they are pulling out the last mast section as I write this...

#109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:49 PM

Thanks, gis. I find this sort of stuff very interesting, given the differences in pace from one similar project (at least to a layman) to the next.

Know it all.

#110 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:21 PM

Some pictures on their website from last month:

Very nice view:

Pictures from http://www.cherrybank.ca/

#111 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:09 PM

We parked in front of Cherry Bank last Saturday and were quite disappointed from the last time we had a look about a month ago.
The front elevation seems to have lost its setbacks, just a flat frontal wall rising from grade, not clmbing the hill.
And two very small entryways (if they are the front doors, can anyone confirm this?) that look quite inelegant. A "luxury" condo should have an entrance, not just single doors.

#112 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

Good question about the front entrance. Those are townhouse entrances along the front, right? Also, there are going to be two vehicle entrances on this place, yes? What's that all about?

#113 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

Townhouse entries would explain it then.
I didn't know there would be THs, I thought it was a 100% apt. condo.
Thanks for the pic aastra, I had not really looked at it closely before and I can see where it led me to think there would be more of a staggered frontal elevation. Its quite a bit more massed in actuality, IMO.

#114 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

When I attended the Council meetings for this project there was a bit of discussion on whether this should be townhouses or retail at ground level and it was quickly decided that townhomes would be best right now.

Also, I remember someone at Council or ADP looking at an photo map and asking why there wasn't a mid-block walkway between the Cherry Bank and the Savoy and the architect had to say, "Uh, it's a twenty foot drop" and the guy says, Oh yeah, I guess you can't tell from an overhead view.

#115 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:20 PM

Pictures I took on Sept 30

#116 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

I'd say that rendering was off by quite a bit with regard to the colour of the bricks.

#117 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:31 PM

... someone at Council or ADP looking at an photo map and asking why there wasn't a mid-block walkway between the Cherry Bank and the Savoy and the architect had to say, "Uh, it's a twenty foot drop" and the guy says, Oh yeah, I guess you can't tell from an overhead view.

Right, but it's at least that much between Fairfield and Humboldt, and there's a very nice stairway mid-block connector running inbetween the Astoria and the Belvedere. So maybe it wasn't an unreasonable question after all...?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#118 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

But, seriously, to compare little old Victoria to the great French capital is frankly ridiculous, in my humble estimation.

Picture from http://kellyisinbarc...me-kind-of.html

#119 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:29 PM

^That's the world's most awesome wheelchair ramp. Gangway!!!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#120 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:37 PM

^ That's a lovely one!

If you want to see a really ugly one, see Here’s Your Public Benefit: An Anorexic Version of Harbor Steps.

The public walkway / stairway is -- oh, maybe 0.2% of what it should be?

It's like a chicken coop ladder.

Here's one picture:

I'm glad no one has proposed anything quite as mingy as that for downtown Victoria (even factoring in our reduced scale/ lesser elevations).

PS:

^That's the world's most awesome wheelchair ramp. Gangway!!!

Typically added for strollers, or wheeling bikes down, or luggage.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users