Photo

Chinatown's Gate of Harmonious Interest | Does it really need to blare music?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Kitsch: Sentimentality or vulgar, often pretentious bad taste, especially in the arts. - TheFreeDictionary

Langford's music-playing fountain is one thing, but does the entrance to Canada's oldest Chinatown really need to blare obnoxious music? Friends from Seattle were over for Thanksgiving and we took them for a stroll through Chinatown. I could see the entire party cringing when the music, err, noise, all of a sudden began emanating from the Gate of Harmonious Interest.

It made me ever so glad I don't live or work within earshot of Chinese hip-hop and various touchy feely pop songs that make Jessica Black sound relatively good. I mean don't get me wrong, it's not the ethnicity of the music that is the annoyance, it's the fact that there's music being pumped onto the street, period, and as far as I could tell there were no revelers around to soak it up.

I can only imagine this must be a source of contention for nearby condo developments whose potential buyers may think twice before moving into the neighbourhood.

What are your thoughts on our musical gate?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

I've never heard it play music, is this new? Chinese hip-hop sounds alright though.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'm thinking it's limited to the weekends and doesn't play non-stop throughout the day. I believe I first started hearing the music in late spring, early summer.

Granted I don't know who the artists are, but much of what I've heard sounded like so:

B8OIt1biRbc

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Langford's music-playing fountain is one thing, but does the entrance to Canada's oldest Chinatown really need to blare obnoxious music? Friends from Seattle were over for Thanksgiving and we took them for a stroll through Chinatown. I could see the entire party cringing when the music, err, noise, all of a sudden began emanating from the Gate of Harmonious Interest.

It made me ever so glad I don't live or work within earshot of Chinese hip-hop and various touchy feely pop songs that make Jessica Black sound relatively good. I mean don't get me wrong, it's not the ethnicity of the music that is the annoyance, it's the fact that there's music being pumped onto the street, period, and as far as I could tell there were no revelers around to soak it up.

I can only imagine this must be a source of contention for nearby condo developments whose potential buyers may think twice before moving into the neighbourhood.

What are your thoughts on our musical gate?

What is a Jessica Black?

And yeah, it doesn't play 24/7. I've never heard any Chinese hip-hop from there? That would at least be less tacky then the times I've gone by and it's playing the most stereotypical instrumentals you can imagine. Like something that would play over an establishing shot of a chinese restaurant in a TV show.

#5 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

I meet friends for coffee regularly near the gates and no matter how many times we hear a sudden "GOOOOOOONGGGGG!!!" it's always met with an eye roll.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

I don't mind the music I just wish it was about three notches quieter.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

If you don't like it, don't go where you can hear it, and the issue will take care of itself.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

What is a Jessica Black?

And yeah, it doesn't play 24/7. I've never heard any Chinese hip-hop from there? That would at least be less tacky then the times I've gone by and it's playing the most stereotypical instrumentals you can imagine. Like something that would play over an establishing shot of a chinese restaurant in a TV show.

You, sir, are in for a treat!

I was surprised to hear hip hop. First time I heard it was Thanksgiving weekend. After one song it went back to the Chinese variant of elevator music.

It's just so silly.

Know it all.

#9 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

You, sir, are in for a treat!

Yeah I know the video. It's Rebecca Black though, not Jessica. :cop:

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

Isn't it a bad omen to refer to her by her real name? :)

Know it all.

#11 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Only if you say it 3 times in front of a mirror.

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Isn't it a bad omen to refer to her by her real name? :)

Nah. It IS Friday after all :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#13 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

First time I heard it, street was deserted and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. When I heard it was from the gate I thought it was hilarious. I've heard the hip hop piece and its my fave. Generally I'm not a fan of Chinese instrumental music, but I like kitch and surprises.
Pieta VanDyke

#14 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

I was experimenting with a low sun last evening

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:09 AM

You have to turn your volume up really loud to hear the music though.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#16 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

I wonder if you went to China and went to a "Canada town" what it'd be like if they played the national anthem. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#17 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

Yeah I don't mind the music as a concept but it's way too loud.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#18 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

Langford has music blaring in Goldstream near the Stu Fountain

There are a few speakers mounted on light poles in the area

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

It's ridiculous kitsch. Especially when that stupid gong noise blares out for not reason.

Seriously, turn this off. It's embarrassing.

Know it all.

#20 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

Langford has music blaring in Goldstream near the Stu Fountain

There are a few speakers mounted on light poles in the area

Yeah, it plays Langford uber alles, quite a catchy tune.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users