Photo

Yates Street TapHouse | Downtown | 700-block of Yates St.

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

They are hoping for an opening around November 13th.

Renovation photos on Facebook.

Does anyone else think C2 Contracting needs to learn the value of drop-sheets, cardboard covers for counter-tops and poly covers for vinyl and cloth seating and equipment like the TV projector? Would save some grief later on.

...and in my usual cynical way, I'll say "all you need to do is renovate a place to make it a better restaurant", even though the old one looked fine to me.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

is that the old office? looks like it

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

Beer on tap:

Racerocks, Taphouse Lager, Beacon IPA, Tasman, Keepers Stout, Hermans, Pipers, Spyhopper, Stormwatcher, Stella, Boddingtons, Fat Tug, Farmhand, Whitebark, Driftwood Ale, Sapporo, Honey Brown, Brewmaster Black, 1516, Sleemans Genuine, Chablis, Strongbow, Guiness, Caffreys, Heineken, Canadian,
Rickards Card, Carlsberg, Blue Buck, Dr Funk, Harp, Innis & Gunn, Winter Ale, Maple, Heather Ale, Extra Bitter!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

Wow nice!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 dba

dba
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

Beer on tap:

Racerocks, Taphouse Lager, Beacon IPA, Tasman, Keepers Stout, Hermans, Pipers, Spyhopper, Stormwatcher, Stella, Boddingtons, Fat Tug, Farmhand, Whitebark, Driftwood Ale, Sapporo, Honey Brown, Brewmaster Black, 1516, Sleemans Genuine, Chablis, Strongbow, Guiness, Caffreys, Heineken, Canadian,
Rickards Card, Carlsberg, Blue Buck, Dr Funk, Harp, Innis & Gunn, Winter Ale, Maple, Heather Ale, Extra Bitter!

Looks like everywhere else in town...there is nothing new or exciting here. Any rotating taps? Some micro brews from other parts of Canada or the US would be great, but Rickards, Carlsberg, Dr. Funk, Sleemans..come on...that's rubbish.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Looks like everywhere else in town...there is nothing new or exciting here. Any rotating taps? Some micro brews from other parts of Canada or the US would be great, but Rickards, Carlsberg, Dr. Funk, Sleemans..come on...that's rubbish.

Why are they rubbish? Because they are extremely popular ie. a LOT of people like them - so they must be awful? I find "beer snobbery" very peculiar.

Like it or lump it, the overwhelmingly most popular beer in BC is bottles of Budweiser - at stores and in restaurants and bars.

#7 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

"rubbish" is harsh and I like many beers on that list but I get dba's comment. With all the failures in this location and the setup with the name, one might hope it would be something more along the lines of the Alibi room in Van. A beer geek kind of place instead of the same thing on tap as everywhere else. I mean, no Hoyne kinda says something. Even Alibi rotates a few Hoyne beers through their taps all the time.

Alibi Room

#8 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

Why are they rubbish?

yeah a beer is a beer, what more do people want in a taphouse?! :rolleyes:

The Garrison District Ale House - Fredericton NB - Bottled Beer Menu
Alibi Room
Concordia Ale House

if they're the only pub/bar in town that has old rasputin I guess I'd have no choice but to have a visit. & if they have old rasputin what else might they have...? :rtfm:

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

^ Here's another thing. How come when the big domestic beers are on tap, that is considered of lower quality than its bottled equivalent?

But with these small breweries, draught beer is considered good? Quite frankly, some of it probably sits in the keg and in the lines for long periods before it's all consumed. That's never good, is it?

#10 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

I know the Hoyne Wolf Vine sold out in one day at the alibi room (one keg)...

#11 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

they don't last long at the beagle either. maybe longer than a day but every time I go there they've got new stuff.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

they don't last long at the beagle either. maybe longer than a day but every time I go there they've got new stuff.

...don't get me wrong, I used to work with a couple bars, I know how easy it is to feature a special keg, blow through it fast, no matter what it is. But it's harder to have 40 beers on tap and hope to get through all of them, one per day.

Consider that the biggest volume bar in Victoria, by far, the Sticky Wicket, only has a dozen or so on their taps. You are going to need to be grossing $35,000+/day in draught beer sales to get through 40 50L kegs each day.

#13 dba

dba
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

Why are they rubbish? Because they are extremely popular ie. a LOT of people like them - so they must be awful? I find "beer snobbery" very peculiar.

Like it or lump it, the overwhelmingly most popular beer in BC is bottles of Budweiser - at stores and in restaurants and bars.

A LOT of people like McDonalds and Burger King too...it doesn't make them good. Maybe rubbish was the wrong word but if you're opening a tap house in a big beer town why not go for some originality. You can get pretty much everyone of those beers at Irish Times, the Garricks Head etc. And really just because Bud has a huge advertising budget, controls distribution and it's popular (and has semi-naked girls in its ads), it still sucks and doesn't come close to tasting like a really well "crafted" beer.

After reading for quite a while about this new tap house it's extremely disheartening to see that beer list.

And yeah I am a bit of a beer snob, if you wanna call that.

#14 dba

dba
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

"rubbish" is harsh and I like many beers on that list but I get dba's comment. With all the failures in this location and the setup with the name, one might hope it would be something more along the lines of the Alibi room in Van. A beer geek kind of place instead of the same thing on tap as everywhere else. I mean, no Hoyne kinda says something. Even Alibi rotates a few Hoyne beers through their taps all the time.

Alibi Room

OK maybe Rubbish was a bit harsh but you just kit the nail on the head Dasmo. Cheers!

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

A LOT of people like McDonalds and Burger King too...

That's also a price thing too though, as much as anything. Few would pay $15-$20 for a McDonald's "entree". But honestly, beer pricing does not vary so much, on tap, unless you are buying something real obscure and paying a big fee to ship the keg in. I'd venture to say almost all beers on tap around here are $5.25 to $7.50.

#16 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Here's the problem from my view. I have nothing against some of the mainstays on that list. I'm happy to drink a Stella, or a 1516, or a Carlsberg if that's the best thing on draught. So when I go somewhere for another reason (great place to meet friends, live music I want to hear), and those are the best options, then fine, I'm happy. That's pretty much how I feel about the Irish Times and Bard and Banker.

But for whatever reason, that place is a death location. It needs to give me a reason to go there. And while that beer list is adequate, it is certainly not a reason to choose them over a half-dozen other places that have a better list (or over the Irish Times and Bard and Banker).

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Here's the problem from my view. I have nothing against some of the mainstays on that list. I'm happy to drink a Stella, or a 1516, or a Carlsberg if that's the best thing on draught. So when I go somewhere for another reason (great place to meet friends, live music I want to hear), and those are the best options, then fine, I'm happy. That's pretty much how I feel about the Irish Times and Bard and Banker.

But for whatever reason, that place is a death location. It needs to give me a reason to go there. And while that beer list is adequate, it is certainly not a reason to choose them over a half-dozen other places that have a better list (or over the Irish Times and Bard and Banker).

OK, I can agree with you here.

#18 dba

dba
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Greg that is exactly what I meant, just didn't articulate very well.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

A friend says the place is going to be more "casual". Pool tables even.

#20 dba

dba
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

A friend says the place is going to be more "casual". Pool tables even.

That would be really nice and make it a bit different from other spots in town...but still, a tap house needs great beers.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users