Cora | Victoria | 850 Douglas Street

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

They're throwing $250k into renovating the space. This sort of stuff takes time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

They're throwing $250k into renovating the space. This sort of stuff takes time.

Okay, true... but a bit over kill for a place without keg lines and serving fruit plates eh?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#23 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Yawn... mediocre omelettes, soggy fruit plates, burnt toast and bitter coffee. It's funny that they're taking over an old Smitty's location because this is literally Smitty's with a happy little sunshine and fun colours.

I'm not usually one to write off a franchised operation as there can always be a big difference between locations. A lot of the quality aspect depends on ownership, staff and the abilities of the kitchen. But, seriously, one of the strengths of Victoria's food scene is breakfast - so stick to the indies, guys.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#24 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Yes mam! It's Shine or Spoons for me :)

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Looks like this place is opening in less than a week.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Looks like this place is opening in less than a week.

Monday. Friends/family opening Sunday. Grand Opening 31st.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

I must be in the minority but I quite like Cora's food. Of course, I tend to order the same thing time and time again when I have the chance to go: the strawberry crepe with custard. The crepe is an easy 12" long and STUFFED with custard and buried in strawberries. I'm drooling just thinking about it.... is it open yet???

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

I must be in the minority but I quite like Cora's food.

There were lots of positive comments on my Facebook page, along with the usual people saying "support independents!" - with no real reason why.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

...along with the usual people saying "support independents!" - with no real reason why.

I think it's obvious and you only have to look to what happened with the previous occupants. According to media reports, profits from Smitty's were funnelled back east to a greedy corporate ownership that bled the business dry. When I eat at the independents, the money finds its way back into my community. Now, the Blue Fox owners might be relaxing on a beach somewhere while their restaurant's closed but you know what I'm saying. For the most part, local owners spend locally and that helps me.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

I think it's obvious and you only have to look to what happened with the previous occupants. According to media reports, profits from Smitty's were funnelled back east to a greedy corporate ownership. When I eat at the independents, the money finds its way back into my community. Now, the Blue Fox owners might be relaxing on a beach somewhere while their restaurant's closed but you know what I'm saying. For the most part, local owners spend locally and that helps me.

Bah, even chain restaurants operate on a thin 5-10% profit margin, if they are lucky. So 85-95% of the money they take in is spent here on rent, staff, supplies, local ads.

#31 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

According to media reports, profits from Smitty's were funnelled back east to a greedy corporate ownership that bled the business dry.

I don't want to say too much because I personally know the family that owned that franchise, but this is absolutely 100% not what happened.

Victoria has developed a very unusual brunch restaurant scene. People here, for some reason that is beyond me (I'm a mediocre cook and can cook better breaky than most places), like to stand in line for 90 minutes in the rain to spend $20 on eggs benedict.

I spend my money at locally owned places that earn my money with good service and products at a good value. I also spend quite a bit at larger chains.

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Smitty's was at that location for longer than I can remember. But it was the restaurant that occupied the space after Smitty's that appeared and disappeared within the same year (or so).

Know it all.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Has anyone been to Cora yet?

Know it all.

#34 WinterSport

WinterSport
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Cora reminded me of Denny's with its booths and open kitchen. It was a bit bright inside for me decor wise. The menu had a bit of everything. Definitely family orientated and pretty healthy since everything came with an accompaniment of fruit. I didn't think anything tasted good enough to go back a second time. If you do have a family then I think it is a good option but if you are really interested in a good plate of food then I would say skip it.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Today, 12:15pm. Line up.

Jam had a 20-person line-up at 11:50am today.

#36 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

It was still pretty full when I walked by on my way to Barts at 2:00.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

OK, I went this morning, I have a review:

Arrived at 7:20am, greeted very warmly at the station adjacent to the front door, given my choice of seating. I was the only customer there (it opens at 6am). In fact, during my whole visit only one other table came in, two ladies at around 7:40. I left at 7:50.

I like the menu, there sure is lots of fruit on everything, all menu items have photos, like Denny's.

I had some type of panini crepe I think, so crepes wrapped around cheese and ham, and them covered with lots of cut fruit.

$11.75 I think, add my large OJ, that wasn't all that large, and I was at $17 and change.

It was alright I guess, I can see the appeal, for sure. But on this morning, it wasn't kicking Whitespot for customers, I'm sure.

EDIT: Oh, their music station of choice was Jack FM - I like Jack! Beats The Ocean that's on in lots of places.

#38 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

$17 for a breakfast??? Well that's all I need to know.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#39 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Yeah, tried it out and there's tons of places you can get far better food for cheaper in town.

#40 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

$17 for a breakfast??? Well that's all I need to know.

For those of you that haven't dined out since Trudeau was Prime Minister, 12 bucks is the going rate for a breakfast entree at just about worthwhile joint in town. But for that price the orange juice better be premium, not the industrial solvent some places pawn off.

The only place I know that has cheaper than average breakfast entree prices is Cabin 12.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users