Black Friday and Boxing Day - a tale of two countries

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

I write this because really for the first time ever, I'm hearing a radio ad talking about Black Friday.

I've always found it a bit odd that two countries side-by-side have two distinct shopping opportunities that the opposite does not really "celebrate".

What gives? Frankly, to me the Boxing Day thing makes sense, as most are still going to buy presents before, but Black Friday in the US sure tells the masses in a grand way (near riots at midnight opening etc.) that it's time to start unloading your wallet. It's November 23rd this year.

Black Friday is not actually a holiday, but some non-retail employers give their employees the day off, increasing the number of potential shoppers. It has routinely been the busiest shopping day of the year since 2005,[1] although news reports, which at that time were inaccurate,[2] have described it as the busiest shopping day of the year for a much longer period of time.[3]

Black Friday (shopping) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm going to guess that the busiest shopping day of the year here is... the last non-X-mas-Eve Saturday before X-mas?

Meanwhile...

http://www.ctvnews.c...arily-1.1023072

Customers who walk into Shoppers Drug Mart stores across Canada this weekend will no longer hear the faint strains of Christmas music -- at least for now.

The pharmacy chain announced in a message on its Facebook page that it was suspending the playing of Christmas music in its stores ‘until further notice.”

That came after a barrage of complaints from customers who said the chain had begun playing the tunes entirely too soon.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.c...2#ixzz2BAjHN05l

I love what gets people worked up. Another thing Canadians like to complain about is the NHL season lasting too long. "Next thing you know they'll be playing hockey in July!". Er, so? But, are Shoppers all corporate or are they franchises? If I was the owner or manager, I might just not act on the directive from head office. What are they going to do, send around a music inspector? Or is the music streamed from head office?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

I know someone who works at Shoppers as a Pharmacist and I still can't figure out how the owners work. I know he's used the term franchise but I don't think it's a franchise in the sense that an independant franchisee buys a shoppers location.

And yes, the music is piped in by head office. I wouldn't be surprised if the music inspector shows up to make sure the right station is playing. He was highly irritated by the Christmas music playing before Rememberance day.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

And yes, the music is piped in by head office. I wouldn't be surprised if the music inspector shows up.to make sure the right station is playing. He was highly irritated by the Christmas music playing before Rememberance day.

Yes, it's disrespectful. From November 1-11 they should play war marches, bugle solos, Jimmy Dorsey etc. Or the soundtrack from Good Morning Vietnam.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

That reminds me, I still need to add 'Saving Private Ryan" to my collection. I'll have to check out the Black Friday sales.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Oh, and did someone say "Black" and "Friday"? :P

Friday - Rebecca Black - Official Music Video - YouTube

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Great. Now you've done it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

I aim to please

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:24 AM

Black Friday this Friday.   Bay Centre and Mayfair (with a pretty smart deal) both open at 7am.  Someone told me The Gap opens at 6am.  Hillside seems to be ignoring it.

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

No one is having this conversation in Boston. For the most part the citizens of the excited states of America do not know anything about us. I had an email exchange with a person yesterday from an eastern state and she ended her email with "Have a great holiday"

We are the ones that are influenced by their lifestyle, not the other way around.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

No one is having this conversation in Boston. For the most part the citizens of the excited states of America do not know anything about us. I had an email exchange with a person yesterday from an eastern state and she ended her email with "Have a great holiday"

We are the ones that are influenced by their lifestyle, not the other way around.

Oh, I know, and it'll never be the other way around.  But some Canadians are up in arms, saying "why are we copying an American promotion?!?" when we could have our own pre-Christmas bonus/launch day, maybe on a weekend.  But that's nuts.  I don't blame retailers here (in Canada in general) for #1 trying to stop people going over the border and #2 riding the familiarity of the Black Friday name that we already have thanks to US media.  Clipper is running a special noon departure from here on Thursday and a late departure (11:30?) December 1st from Seattle.

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

^ Good points.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:30 AM

Mayfair Shopping Centre is offering a “spin to win” gift card event and the downtown Bay Centre is giving Earls restaurant gift cards to the first 100 shoppers.

Black Friday is the first Friday after U.S. Thanksgiving. It’s this Friday and is followed by Cyber Monday, promoted by online retailers as a day of exceptional bargains.

Some local stores even stage pre-Black Friday events. Ocean River Sports is rolling out discounts on what it calls White Thursday this week.

Clipper Vacations has added extra sailings starting Thursday between Victoria and Seattle for those who want to shop, visit family or take in sports events.

Some members of Think Local First Victoria take part in Black Friday, while others don’t bother, said president Gayle Robinson, owner of Robinson’s Outdoor Store downtown.   Think Local First is encouraging consumers to consider the benefit of supporting local businesses.

Capital Iron is promoting its three-day sale starting Friday with a touch of humour, urging customers to turn out for “Mike Black Friday — The Only True Black Friday.” Black is the president of the long-standing business, with stores in Victoria, Sidney and the West Shore.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.cVsct8Cd.dpuf

Some members of Think Local First Victoria take part in Black Friday, while others don’t bother, said president Gayle Robinson, owner of Robinson’s Outdoor Store downtown.   Think Local First is encouraging consumers to consider the benefit of supporting local businesses.

^ When I read that, I thought, ya, typical.  Sometimes businesses just hurt themselves.  Even if you hate the idea of Black Friday, ride the wave (of free awareness advertising), you are open for business anyway on Friday.  

After an article like this comes out, where will shoppers be looking this Friday?  1.  The easy way > Will they just go the the Bay Centre and Mayfair, or 2. The hard way > will they go to the Shop Local website, find each business, call each business or look up their website, to try to find out who is offering deals?

#13 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:46 AM

Black Friday is so last year. Black November is the future.

#14 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:25 AM

Black Friday is so last year. Black November is the future.

Canadian Tire is advertising 'Red Thursday' in their flyer. Love how these one day events bloat into the surrounding weeks.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:29 AM

Old Navy giving away $1M.  100 people from each North American store can win.

They have 1,000 stores.  1,000 x 100 = 100,000

Your chance of winning is one in 100,000.  That's better than any lottery and there is no cost to enter (except your time).

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:41 AM

Isn't the chance of winning based on the number of shoppers entering each individual store?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:46 AM

Isn't the chance of winning based on the number of shoppers entering each individual store?

No.  Only the first 100 at each store get an entry.

The first 100 shoppers at every Old Navy store in North America, when it opens for Black Friday shopping, will be given a chance to win the $1 million jackpot during the brand's biggest sale of the year.

http://www.marketwat...-11-24-13202210

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

Ah, gotcha.

Know it all.

#19 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:28 PM

Canadian Tire is advertising 'Red Thursday' in their flyer. Love how these one day events bloat into the surrounding weeks.

If anything I would categorize myself as an 'anti-shopper' in terms of Black Friday or Boxing Day sales etc., but my favorite scheme thus far is the car dealership in Chicago offering big discounts this "White Friday" if you purchase a vehicle (I think this is a Dodge or Chrysler dealer) AND if there is 6" or more of snow on the ground on December 25th at O'Hare Airport. Smart savvy move as the % of snow on that date is apparently almost 50% historically. Not surprisingly they are expecting to draw huge crowds.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:34 PM

If anything I would categorize myself as an 'anti-shopper' in terms of Black Friday or Boxing Day sales etc., but my favorite scheme thus far is the car dealership in Chicago offering big discounts this "White Friday" if you purchase a vehicle (I think this is a Dodge or Chrysler dealer) AND if there is 6" or more of snow on the ground on December 25th at O'Hare Airport. Smart savvy move as the % of snow on that date is apparently almost 50% historically. Not surprisingly they are expecting to draw huge crowds.

Remember a tire brand did that here? Pay No Dough if it Doesn't Snow.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users