Black Friday and Boxing Day - a tale of two countries

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:33 PM

Mad dogs ski and snowboard in Abbotsford used to run a promo like that. Buy a pair of skis or a snowboard, and if it snows on Christmas day, you get it free. The odds a the time of the promo was 11%.

#22 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:42 PM

Remember a tire brand did that here? Pay No Dough if it Doesn't Snow.

I do! And as per the post above I'd likely take that bet today since the odds for "no snow" on Christmas Day in Victoria are even less than Abbotsford, I think about 8% if memory serves.

#23 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

How fulfillment is done, Amazon style.

http://youtu.be/tMpsMt7ETi8

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

I guess July 15th is becoming a thing in the US.  Or it will be.

http://money.cnn.com...rime-day-sales/

http://www.newsweek....day-sale-353669

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:39 PM

Here we go again.

Canada has nothing to do with Black Friday never has never will.

In the US Thanksgiving Holiday is the biggest Holiday of the year. Yes more than Christmas and Black Friday is a day off for many as an extra long weekend.

In Canada its a normal weekday after another weekday.

There will be no huge line ups anywhere in this city because there will be no deals to be had.

This advertising is a way to attract a few misguided individuals.

To me this is just a sign to get people in not an Event and a waited for day like south of the line.

[attachment=6918:20151115_160738.jpg]

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:54 AM

I'm all for it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:33 AM

Until the word 'sale' stops eliciting interest in consumers, clever marketers will continue to find uses for it!

#28 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:15 AM

Here we go again.

In the US Thanksgiving Holiday is the biggest Holiday of the year. Yes more than Christmas and Black Friday is a day off for many as an extra long weekend.

In Canada its a normal weekday after another weekday.

There will be no huge line ups anywhere in this city because there will be no deals to be had.

This advertising is a way to attract a few misguided individuals.

To me this is just a sign to get people in not an Event and a waited for day like south of the line.

In the US sense, you're right. However, it's been creeping north of the border for a while, just like our Boxing day has been creeping south.

#29 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:25 AM

Its creeping but will never be what it is in the states as a previous caller stated the use of the word Sale is vague and is bait for the gullible.

#30 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:06 AM

I saved $630 on a one-day price on a trip last year.  The price was posted online and my local travel agent matched it ( a company policy)  but she couldn't believe the savings.  I checked the price regularly for many months before and after on multiple sites/local companies and still did not find a price anywhere close to the Black Friday special.  So it depends on the product.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:02 PM

Locally, I can only really see Mayfair (350 mystery envelopes with discounts) and Bay Centre (first 200 get a free Earls lunch) doing anything.

#32 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:32 PM

Black Friday in the US is like what Boxing day in Canada was 20 years ago.

Black Friday in Canada is Like what Boxing Day is in the US now. Lame boring basically non existant except for maybe a few stores in 3 or 4 cities in the country

#33 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:05 PM

I think online sales will reflect some serious sale prices.

#34 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:06 PM

In the US some of the prices are incredible, $150 for a 49" LED HDTV, $799 for a 60" ultra hd 4k TV, can't afford not to pick a couple up.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#35 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:04 AM

In the US some of the prices are incredible, $150 for a 49" LED HDTV, $799 for a 60" ultra hd 4k TV, can't afford not to pick a couple up.

Those are wait in line type specials though?

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:19 PM

Here we go again.

attachicon.gif20151115_160738.jpg

At 7am tomorrow at least 200 people will be lined up at the Bay Centre.  And I suspect close to 350 at Mayfair to get their mystery savings envelopes too.

Look, I do not know why ANY retailer would not grab a hold of all the free exposure and education that comes with this event, spilling over from the US media.

You maybe hate it, but when the biggest retailing country in the world gets worked up about it, and we hear all about it due to our following US media, I think it's worth getting into.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:22 PM

Except every single thing sold at Mayfair is also 25% off, when you buy a $100 Mayfair gift card for $75.  And you can buy up to 4.

• Matt R. likes this

#38 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:21 PM

Black Friday in the US is like what Boxing day in Canada was 20 years ago.

Black Friday in Canada is Like what Boxing Day is in the US now. Lame boring basically non existant except for maybe a few stores in 3 or 4 cities in the country

Places like Best Buy and Wal Mart are advertising Black Friday sales so I think it's going to be a bit more than a few stores in 3 or 4 cities throughout all of Canada.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:24 PM

This is also the first year in a while Canadian retailers did not expect significant flight to the US for deals.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

A survey showed as many as 1.2m Canadians were planning to call in sick for it, and another 6m plan to shop tomorrow.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users