• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

https://itunes.apple...=8&ign-mpt=uo=2

Huh, that's cool if it is nice and streamlined...

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

https://itunes.apple...=8&ign-mpt=uo=2

But is it available for Android?

#3 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

It'd be nice if it had current conditions for BCF.

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

Just downloaded it and played with it for literally 10 seconds and got stuck in the weather section.

Edit: OK so it's a slide over page thingy. It was not evident at all.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

No love for barges?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

It is designed for more affluent people that may want to leave spur of moment. Barge doesn't cut it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

A couple of the seaplane buttons require you d/l another app. So you click on the Harbour Air button and an "Download on Itunes" option opens.

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

Most of the buttons just take you to links on their website. Ok i guess, but I wanted this thing fully integrated into the app so I don't have to leave it.

I guess it's a nice little package that lays out all of your options (except barge), but if you live here you already know your options pretty well.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

It is designed for more affluent people that may want to leave spur of moment. Barge doesn't cut it.

...and affluent people need an app for that?

This has got to be one of the most useless apps in its current form.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

But is it available for Android?

Like many things, No.

This has got to be one of the most useless apps in its current form.

Seems useful to me, I think I'll keep it installed. Direct display of ferry schedules so you don't have to use their miserable site. The rest could be useful too although I use flights less often.

#11 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Most of the buttons just take you to links on their website. Ok i guess, but I wanted this thing fully integrated into the app so I don't have to leave it.

It loads a page on the respective sites, but it's actually still in the app. Pretty handy.

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Yes but it might as well just be a browser. They got it right for the BCFerries button. You click it and rolls down next sailings right there.
Wouldn't call it useless though. I might use it.

#13 Doug

Doug
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hi VibrantVictoria,

I am one of the developers of Crossing the Pond so I thought would join the conversation to chat about some of the things brought up in this thread.

First of all, thanks for all your comments and for taking an interest in Crossing the Pond.

I'll try and cover everything as best I can.

Nparker, Crossing the Pond will likely be ported to Android in early 2013.

MarkCB, current conditions are available for the BC Ferries routes. All you need to do is click on a particular route and then on the right sidebar, the 'www' will switch to a button which takes you to the current ferry conditions for that route.

Gumgum, because there are already apps for some of the various methods of transportation like HeliJet and seaplanes, we decided that it would be best to link to their apps rather than replicate the functionality. We built this app with no partnership from any of the transportation organizations, I would love to have some of the information more natively integrated into the app itself. This would be possible with the participation of some of the organizations. Our main focus was on aggregating the BC Ferries schedules into the app natively so that users can check the schedule.

Mike K. and VicHockeyFan, I'm not sure what the intent is in singling out 'affluent people' as the intended market for the app. Certainly by default this app would be for people affluent enough to own an iPhone and/or iPad. In terms of it being 'useless', we have found that the response has been quite the opposite. Most people using the app have said it is very helpful and, particularly with respect to the BC Ferries, what they've been wishing for for a long time.

At this point, we have no plans to include barges. I admit that this concept is actually new to me, as I have lived on the island for twenty years and never heard of using barges to get on and off the island.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions.

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Nparker, Crossing the Pond will likely be ported to Android in early 2013.

BlackBerry?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15 Doug

Doug
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

We are not optimistic that the Blackberry app market will be a going concern over the next several years. As such, porting CTP priority would almost certainly be first Android, second Windows Phone... and a distant third for Blackberry, though probably never.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

Interesting - you have heard about BB10, right? :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

Hi Doug, thank you for taking the time to answer questions and respond to comments, and welcome to the posting side of VibrantVictoria!

I should apologize for using such strong words. I was hoping that this app would display BC Ferry data, such as load volumes, and not just scheduled sailings (does it display unscheduled sailings that appear from time to time as well, or just the standard times?). I also find that loading websites within a third party app is less than ideal and removes a lot of the functionality that viewing a website within a browser provides. It would be much appreciated if the app could give one the option of viewing external links within the browser and not as a frame within the app.

It's great to promote to tourists ways of getting to the Island, but for this app to achieve the success it deserves among locals it'll need to move away from linking websites and display pertinent real-time data within the app itself. Just my 2 cents, of course.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

We are not optimistic that the Blackberry app market will be a going concern over the next several years. As such, porting CTP priority would almost certainly be first Android, second Windows Phone... and a distant third for Blackberry, though probably never.

I know the media has been all over predicting the imminent death of Blackberry. For the time being, however, many (most?) provincial government staff have BB's as their standard device. I don't know about other ministries, but in ours (FLNRO) it will likely remain the standard for a while yet. Something to consider.

#19 Doug

Doug
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

I think the most likely scenario for Blackberry is BB10 Runtime for Android Apps, the emulator that will allow coding in Java/Android rather than Blackberry's native language.

The app would definitely be better-served with pertinent real-time data. That really is something that would require partnerships or at least tacit approval from the transporation organizations whose information we are using. We are actively seeking to get them all on board and thus improve the app to be more integrated.

Can some explain the barges?

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

I was kidding about the barges but there are local businesses like restaurants that rely on timely arrival of the Seaspan ferry barges. If you were planning on having a car bought in Vancouver shipped over it doesn't appear you'd save any money over driving it over on BC Ferries but trailer operators seem to find it beneficial.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users