Bringing pets to the workplace

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Hmmm, on CFAX today James Gardner was saying how he often brings his dog to work, more days than not.

And I got to thinking... back when I was a kid, it would be very odd to see a pet at a place of business.

Then a couple years ago, I go into my notaries office and she has her dog running around. The hot tub store across from the arena has a house dog. I went to my hair salon on the weekend, and they have a dog running around.

I have no problem with dogs in the workplace now that I think about it, unless you work in a warehouse or something.

What's the thoughts of others?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'd bring my dog to work every day if I had one.

Apparently dogs reduce stress in the workplace.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

I think it's great. My doctor brings his dog to the office with him. He keeps you company while you're sitting in the exam room waiting....it's a lot more interesting than five-year-old Maclean's and S.I. magazines

#4 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Works in small offices but you can guarantee that any workplace with more than 10-15 people will have someone with an allergy.

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

I'd say it's out of hand now. I stopped shopping at a little store down the way because one time when I entered the dog charged me and barked like hell and tried to nip at me for a good minute before the owner bothered to intervene. No apology. The same thing happened to me in someone's office one time (in offices there are dogs everywhere now) and I was very angry about it and made no secret of the fact. The problem is that many dog owners are simply blind to the bad behaviour of their dogs. They don't become any less blind just because their dog is at work with them.

And then you get into that whole issue re: if dogs are acceptable then how about cats or ferrets or iguanas? That's not a hypothetical question. It's actually a real issue that's playing out all over the place.

I've seen otherwise well-behaved office dogs go wandering (as they're naturally inclined to do) only to end up startling somebody or otherwise causing a problem.

That said, for a few years I was lucky enough to be working with an outstanding office dog, probably the nicest dog that I've ever known in my life. I would agree that for anyone who isn't afraid of dogs, a well-behaved dog can be a pleasure to have around (then again, in any large workplace there are going to be some people who are afraid of dogs... even this wonderful dog that I mention was unwelcome to some people).

I think there's a good chance that the tide is going to turn and that we're going to see a reversal back to the way things were before (when it was very rare to see any dog in the workplace, let alone a poorly behaving dog).

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

I worked at a store once when the owner was bringing their lab in. Had no problems with the dog there.

The place I take my car for work (dealer) has a couple of dogs wandering around, usually behind the counter with a door.

I see no issue with pets in the workplace as long as they behave and aren't too big of a distraction.

It's also nice when you can take a dog into a store. Canadian Tire allows this. Beats having to tie them up outside (which is illegal, potentially dangerous and you risk dognappers)

Now if only I could have a dog at home...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

We have as many as 4-5 dogs roaming our office however ours is a unique environment, a private sector firm where the Victoria HO is located on the owner's property out in the Western Communities.

Aside from dogs, from my office window its not unusual to see deer, raccoons, a horse (he resides in the barn adjacent to the office), feral cats not to mention the big ass bear who roams somewhere on the property since his paw prints were all over the parking lot after a snowfall last winter. Great fun. Except for the fact the dogs have figured out I am the "cookie guy" with dog treats in one of my desk drawers. Needless to say the door stays closed when I am eating my lunch :D

#8 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

I love shops that have cats or dogs. Growing up I remember quite a few shops that had live-in cats. If you're allergic don't shop there (or don't rub your face in them), but I think they drew more people than turned away.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

I have cat allergies, but they only really bother me if I pet them and then put my fingers in my eyes. I like cats but don't think I'd have one at home.

Sometimes dogs get my allergies going, other times they don't. If I had a place that permitted them I'd have one in a heartbeat. Big one, not those anklebiter things.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'm with Aastra on this. I really think that this is inappropriate. Sure some animals are nice but I don't need to see them when I am shopping at a store.

Also Aastra's point on dog owners being blind to their dog's bad behaviour is very true. I have been jumped on by dogs or had one lunge at my kid and the owner just laughs as my son starts freaking out. "Oh he is just really friendly." or " That just means he likes you" usually while smiling.

Anyways I would just not go to a place that had a pet.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

I have yet to be mauled to death by a pet in the workplace. Heck, I have yet to be jumped on or used as a chew toy. When I worked at one store with a dog, nobody had a problem with the dog and kids loved to pet her while the parents were dealing with the staff. So what if a shop has a big lazy dog in the corner chewing on a ball? There will always be bad pet owners, but I wouldn't judge a place by the presence of a dog.

Then again, if the owner lets their dog jump on customers perhaps that's not the sort of person you want to be delaing with anyway.

#12 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

I think it's great. My doctor brings his dog to the office with him. He keeps you company while you're sitting in the exam room waiting....it's a lot more interesting than five-year-old Maclean's and S.I. magazines

Not concerned about patients with allergies?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

...Anyways I would just not go to a place that had a pet.

Not even the Fan Tan Gallery? The cats there are soooo docile and so sweet. I go in there whenever I am in Chinatown even if I have no interest in buying anything (and I often walk out with something, so the cats actually are encouraging business).

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'd say it's out of hand now. I stopped shopping at a little store down the way because one time when I entered the dog charged me and barked like hell and tried to nip at me for a good minute before the owner bothered to intervene. No apology. The same thing happened to me in someone's office one time (in offices there are dogs everywhere now) and I was very angry about it and made no secret of the fact. The problem is that many dog owners are simply blind to the bad behaviour of their dogs. They don't become any less blind just because their dog is at work with them.
).

They must smell your cats on you.:)
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:49 PM

The BC SPCA is warning owners to make sure their dogs are vaccinated against canine distemper virus and parvovirus after the death of a puppy living in Victoria.

http://www.cfax1070....of-diseased-Vic

• sebberry likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users