Photo

Saanich home heating fuel spill

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

That certainly clears everything up...just not sure I completely understand the part that comes after "OK.."

#22 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

they hit bedrock .. the oil is coming from the cracks in the bedrock and the oil company's WILL NOT help determine the origins..they have delivered the product ,made record profits ..just like the insurance company's ..and do nothing for the customers ..bad karma ,,,

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

Now I have to scour my yard looking for anything that even vaguely resembles a filling pipe lest some hose-weilding fuel truck driver roams my property desperately looking for any suitable orifice like some demented oil company version of "Portnoy's Complaint".
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

That certainly clears everything up...just not sure I completely understand the part that comes after "OK.."

the homeowner in this case "in my view" did not do due diligence,,in removing the tank or at least marking the tank or closeing the valve on the tank ..

#25 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

the homeowner in this case "in my view" did not do due diligence,,in removing the tank or at least marking the tank or closeing the valve on the tank ..

The homeowner wasn't the one to call the oil company to come fill his tank. Why would he do that, there is no tank to fill.

#26 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

My neighbour is having some work done on his septic field tomorrow. I guess I should put a big sign in front of my place saying "Don't dig up my backyard!"...just in case the excavator guy wrote down the wrong address... If the home owner was in any negligent, you can bet the oil company's insurance carrier wouldn't be paying anything.

#27 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

The homeowner here is not the least bit at fault. I am sure there are some old houses in Victoria that still have coal chutes. Should they be removed so that someone doesn't fill their basement with coal? How ridiculous.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#28 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

I know a guy that went into the hospital for knee surgery. He took a felt pen and wrote "wrong knee" on his good one.

#29 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

My neighbour is having some work done on his septic field tomorrow. I guess I should put a big sign in front of my place saying "Don't dig up my backyard!"...just in case the excavator guy wrote down the wrong address... If the home owner was in any negligent, you can bet the oil company's insurance carrier wouldn't be paying anything.

you don`t have to do that, but if it did happen, would you be happy to pick up to the cost of re-sodding your back yard

#30 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

The homeowner here is not the least bit at fault. I am sure there are some old houses in Victoria that still have coal chutes. Should they be removed so that someone doesn't fill their basement with coal? How ridiculous.

It's just a matter of checking the address on the house, if it has one showing. Failing that, checking the driver for symptoms of dyslexia.

#31 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

I hear a lot about decontaminating sites and fuel contamination but what exactly does it do? Obviously we don't want the stuff getting down there or into the water table, but once it's there does it release dangerous fumes or something? Old gas stations and industrial lands often sit vacant because the cost of decontaminating them is too much but I never actually heard why. Is it so dangerous to have a bit of oil or petrol deep under your house?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

^ They are required to leave them vacant and unpaved for a number of years to get water to filter through and drain some of the contaminants. They continually do testing until the site is clear. Some sites (like the old gas station in Cordova Bay) take years with more intensive cleaning required. That one has been a vacant lot for almost 20 years now I guess and the contamination was so great that it stopped a redevelopment of that mall in the 1990's

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#33 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Ah - have wondered why the old gas station lot (corner of Blenkinsop and Cedar Hill X Road) in our neighbourhood has been empty for 4 years now. Have seen them testing within the site and out into each roadway a fair distance... so even if another gas station is going to go in there, they have to 'wait it out'?

#34 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

you don`t have to do that, but if it did happen, would you be happy to pick up to the cost of re-sodding your back yard

I'd be neither happy nor paying...because I wouldn't be the one at fault...with or without a sign (with or without a padlock on my tank fill-spout). A couple of years back, a Mainland couple went on vacation. While they were away, some vandal shoved their garden hose through their mail slot and turned it on causing tens of thousands of dollars damage. The forum I was on was just full of comments like "It's their own damned fault for not shutting off their water/hiding their hose". "Stupid people, they brought this on themselves". "What did they expect?"
...What did they expect?!?....what a world......

#35 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

This is basic tort of conversion law. Just because you leave the keys in your car with the doors unlocked doesn't make it legal for someone to take your car

#36 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

This is basic tort of conversion law. Just because you leave the keys in your car with the doors unlocked doesn't make it legal for someone to take your car

No it doesn't make it legal, but under the "invitation to treat" laws you could be liable for any injuries the thief incurred in the use of the vehicle.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#37 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:56 AM

An alert citizen and a quick response by Saanich public works’ crews are being credited with minimizing the impact of a home-heating oil spill near Colquitz Creek. A pedestrian was in Colquitz Park Thursday and saw a sheen on the footpath and noted the air reeked with the smell of oil, said Mike Ippen, Saanich public works manager, on Sunday. Public works staff traced the leak to an above-ground home-heating oil tank on a home on Rolston Crescent.

http://www.timescolo...sponse-1.760186

File photo of Colquitz Creek Park

Colquitzriver4.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users