Photo

Oak Bay water main rupture and flooding - November 20th 2012

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

A review of the flood reports that a 18 inch 1960's watermain broke when crews were replacing a fire hydrant on a "LIVE" line, a procedure that is not the norm in some municipalities.

One of 1960's shut-off vallves had a left turn closure instead of the standard right turn closure. Staff thought the valve was closed but it was actually open. This scenario also occured at another intersection.

The water flowed for six hours.

read;
http://www.timescolo...-policy-1.33366

#42 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

A review of the flood reports that a 18 inch 1960's watermain broke when crews were replacing a fire hydrant on a "LIVE" line, a procedure that is not the norm in some municipalities.

One of 1960's shut-off vallves had a left turn closure instead of the standard right turn closure. Staff thought the valve was closed but it was actually open. This scenario also occured at another intersection.

The water flowed for six hours.

read;
http://www.timescolo...-policy-1.33366

From the same article some sort of new time 21Ú2 hours :confused:

“In terms of the municipal workers, there was no communication,” Scaia said. “Once the Oak Bay Fire Department arrived, that’s when things really happened … but that wasn’t until 21Ú2 hours after the fact.”

#43 Doggier

Doggier
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

Interesting tidbit.
I spoke with an Oak Bay Employee who was on site. Seems those old pipes are so brittle because they are made of asbestos. I asked if they had to notify the Ministry of the Environmental or Worksafe BC when an asbestos pipe breaks. He said, no, when it's a water pipe we just toss all the broken asbestos back in the hole and bury it. He spoke with confidence and said that wet asbestos is not a hazard. I asked, "What happens if someone in the future digs up that area in the summer when things are dry." He shrugged and said, "Don't know. "
He had no sense on concern. I guess my fear of asbestos is out of line.

#44 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

A tag should be attached to those older hydrant valves: ""THIS VALVE ONLY: RIGHTY LOOSEY, LEFTY TIGHTY"

From the same article some sort of new time 21Ú2 hours :confused:

It was supposed to read "2 1/2". The code for the fraction slash (solidus) was not entered or rendered properly in the script.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Well, at least it was a mistake, and not total incompetence, I guess.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:01 PM

Some properties in Oak Bay have been affected by a water main break Wednesday morning.

The District of Oak Bay says it happened just before 10 o'clock when a 12-inch water main ruptured on Margate Street. 

Public Works and the Oak Bay Fire Department responded and stopped the water flow as quickly as possible, but some properties have received water damage.

http://www.iheartrad...rties-1.2651313

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users