Victoria Public Market at The Hudson

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#101 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

Anyways, I had no idea there even was a cutting board place in there.

http://www.maplemagic.com/index.html

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#102 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

Has there been any feedback from the organizers as to the success or disappointment from the Public Market? Are there the number of merchants they were hoping for? Customers? 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#103 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

I go there for lunch or a snack about once a week and it is always busy. I think they could do more around advertising it but still it is pretty good. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

I guess  I'm comparing our market with the Quay in North Vancouver. That place, every time I visit whether on weekdays or on weekends, is absolutely bursting with activity. Of course the Quay is a tourist attraction all on its own but by comparison the Victoria market has barely a trickle of activity.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#105 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

They are very different places though. Lonsdale Quay has the Seabus Terminal and is on the waterfront let alone that it has about 10 times the floor space. I don't think that we can expect that in this location with this footprint. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

Ok ok, maybe twice the floor space (possibly 2.5) but not 10x ;)

The Quay is a focal point for the area, that's for sure, but our market just seems so void of life by comparison. Even if our market is small it can/should be able to have just as much activity per square meter of space. And being closed on Mondays is just bizarre in this day and age.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

The Hudson Market is usually busy when I go there (about once a week).

#108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

Admittedly I go in there during non-peak periods, like at 10AM or 3PM, or so. I don't usually go for lunch until the mid. Are you guys dropping in during the peak lunch period?

Know it all.

#109 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

Usually around lunch time, although I went yesterday at around 4pm and it was much quieter (understandably). 

#110 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

Even though it's called a 'market', I think of this place as a really nice food court and enjoy going there to grab lunch. Great food from local companies, multiple options and reasonably priced.

Perhaps when people move into the Hudson Mews it will be busier at other times of the day. I'm sure the new grocer will help.

• Mixed365 likes this

#111 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

Even though it's called a 'market', I think of this place as a really nice food court and enjoy going there to grab lunch. Great food from local companies, multiple options and reasonably priced.

Perhaps when people move into the Hudson Mews it will be busier at other times of the day. I'm sure the new grocer will help.

A housing project of that size will not make any noticeable difference.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#112 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

There are definitely restaurants there, but there is also a nice deli, a bakery, a seafood vendor, a pie place, a cake store, a cheese store and now a grocer so there are definitely options for purchasing groceries.

It's like a really good food court, but better because you can buy a really nice baguette and a delicious pie while you're there.

#113 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

A boutique liquor outlet would be a nice addition.

• Mixed365 likes this

#114 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

A boutique liquor outlet would be a nice addition.

Maybe something like this will open up in the Mews commercial space.

#115 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

It's seemed really busy the times I've been down there lately. And yeah, I agree it seems more like a really good, interesting food court to me.

#116 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

Review from May, 2014...

Edited by aastra, 13 August 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#117 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

just came back from Seattle - blue jays lost all three games; sigh - and spent a few hours at the Pike Market. complete with flying salmon and $10 floral bouquets I needed two hours of down time at the Seattle Art Museum where I ended up spending $s. I wonder how many of the huge crowd at the market were lookylous? biggest lineup was to buy coffee at the original Starbucks. go figure.

#118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

just came back from Seattle - blue jays lost all three games; sigh - and spent a few hours at the Pike Market. complete with flying salmon and $10 floral bouquets I needed two hours of down time at the Seattle Art Museum where I ended up spending $s. I wonder how many of the huge crowd at the market were lookylous? biggest lineup was to buy coffee at the original Starbucks. go figure.

Ya, very disappointing for the fans, the games were not even close (maybe the last one was).

#119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

I don't know folks, I walked through today on market day.  I thought the middle-row vendors were kind of lame.  And the green grocer is very strange to me.

Also nothing has moved much in Smoken' Bones.  All the kitchen dished are out on the bar, but other than that, it still looks like the day they closed up the night before.  The hostess table is all ready to open for the day.

#120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

I walked through today and noticed the market has its first victim, the cake shop that used to be between Sutra and Salt Spring Cheese (or whatever their name is).

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users