Photo

[Vic West - Victoria] Bayview One condo | 35m | 11-storeys | Built - completed in Mar 2009

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#361 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:07 PM

In order to be a nuisance a person can't be overly sensitive.

The building manager in his sworn statement said there was only one other complaint registered with the building manager. Email evidence showed there was another complaint. The crt used the building manager's statement that the device had been turned down to invalidate the second complaint, saying that she hadn't re-complained. The email timestamp shows that the second complaint was sent to me a week after, with no additional message indicating the problem had been resolved.

The crt also found that there was the noise of a float plane in the background of one of the videos, so the squawker noise was not above the level of other noises.

#362 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 10:08 PM

I agree that squawker noise is really annoying, and loud.  It can be clearly heard several times on the video I recently made, beginning around 1:30.

https://youtu.be/P37nw_8mOCU

#363 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 10:57 PM

That makes 6.

If the noise annoys you, particularly at night, please contact the City of Victoria bylaw office and register a complaint.

The City of Victoria noise bylaw is governed by decibel measurements during the day, but at night the requirement is only that people are annoyed.

Bylaw will officially record the complaint and pass it on anonymously to the building manager. At some point if enough people complain I expect that bylaw will act.

#364 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 11:10 PM

The BC Ministry of Agriculture has model noise bylaw regarding the use of audible bird scaring devices.

https://www2.gov.bc....h_coastalbc.pdf

The City of Abbotsford has use the model bylaw in their bird scare noise bylaw.

https://municipal.qp...ylaws/2013b2210

That bylaw requires that bird scare devices be more than 100 meters from dwellings and that the frequency be less than one noise event every five minutes, not at night. For Promontory, the distance to the far edges Bayview is about 75 meters (Google maps), noise events are every minute and the device runs all night.

#365 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 11:19 PM

I agree that squawker noise is really annoying, and loud.  It can be clearly heard several times on the video I recently made, beginning around 1:30.

https://youtu.be/P37nw_8mOCU

I can imagine how annoying that sound can get at night. Is the soundproofing enough when the windows are closed? 

#366 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 06:09 AM

Gary, that’s the noise? I was going to ask what sort of monster in a cage you had in your home, lol!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#367 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,931 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:32 AM

Sick and tired of hearing the incessant squawking of a bird deterring device on the roof of the apartment building next to his, Victoria West resident Darrell Pfeifer is taking action.

https://www.vicnews....bayview-squawk/

The bird deterring device is located on top of one a neighbouring apartments along Saghalie Road and is intended to prevent a nuisance – seagulls.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 October 2020 - 09:33 AM.

#368 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:47 PM

Man, that guy is on a mission. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#369 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:16 PM

That deterring device is for the birds.

• m3m likes this

#370 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:16 PM

I walk to the Songhees area pretty often and I swear I've never noticed the squawking. At this rate that guy is going to make me hear it and never get it out of my head.

Edited by Casual Kev, 23 October 2020 - 01:16 PM.

#371 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:17 PM

Man, that guy is on a mission.

For sure. He will not be deterred.

#372 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:17 PM

He won't stop squawking about it.

#373 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,931 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:20 PM

any word if people are flocking to his cause?

• aastra likes this

#374 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:23 PM

I know someone who lives in 1204 Yates and oddly enough he's also been complaining about a bird-deterring device.*

*clever callback to another thread

#375 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,931 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:36 PM

any word if these squawking devices are actually native to the songhees mountains?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 October 2020 - 01:36 PM.

#376 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:36 PM

I know someone who lives in 1204 Yates and oddly enough he's also been complaining about a bird-deterring device.

But he's only able to hear it when the Songhees dishwashers aren't running

Edited by aastra, 23 October 2020 - 01:37 PM.

#377 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:39 PM

The birds were a nuisance so a deterring device was installed,

but the deterring device has proven to be a nuisance,

and now some residents are making nuisances of themselves?*

This issue seems to be very nuanced.

*I'm actually on their side with this, but you just can't pass up a chance to flog people with the word "nuisance"

#378 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:45 PM

We talked about this confusing article in another thread: "Human behaviour likely to deter birds from Esquimalt Lagoon"

Birds can be a real nuisance. Sometimes they're deterred when you don't want them to be deterred, and other times they're not deterred when you want them to be deterred.

Maybe Bayview needs to open their roof up to more vehicle traffic?

-----

Typo correction: "deter", not "detour"

Anyway, this thread has sure taken an unexpected detour.

Edited by aastra, 23 October 2020 - 01:48 PM.

#379 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:50 PM

Seriously though, why don't Bayview residents have access to that great roof? Or do they? If not, what a crazy missed opportunity, especially for the residents on the back side. And ironically it might actually help with this bird issue, too. What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to restrict rooftop access.

#380 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:54 PM

...that guy is on a mission.

Mission San Juan Capistrano? Their birds are swallows, not seagulls. And they're a tourist attraction so people don't want to deter them.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users