Photo

[Vic West - Victoria] Bayview One condo | 35m | 11-storeys | Built - completed in Mar 2009

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#81 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:33 AM

When I saw the rendering enlarged in the paper today, I was quite upset with the massiveness of this project. By that I mean width. I really really wish these buildings were much narrower and a few stories taller. Pam is going to use these buildings to scream outrage towards highrise development.....while this isnt a high rise project.

If I were to classify it, it would be in my book a midrise fatscraper. The result of the anti highrise crowd.

I hope they dont build the same style of buildings in the round house project. I would hope for more of Astoria style buildings though with much more elegant designs.

#82 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:38 PM

Hey, how come no one has posted [url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/business/story.html?id=2ec335b6-7383-4b39-a33a-5ff76079f318:c9813]this one[/url:c9813] yet? No one bothers to scan the business pages?? :wink:

Note the ref to Sotheby's...

Heavyweights check out Bayview
Big spenders arrive by private jet from Ontario and Alberta

Darron Kloster
Times Colonist

Thursday, November 16, 2006

CREDIT: John McKay, Times Colonist
Brian Tobin, left, Alan Lowe, Ken Mariash and Mike Harris look over Bayview, a $1-billion project that forms the last piece of the Songhees development.

The wind blew and the rain fell, but the chartered and private jets arrived from Ontario and Alberta, offloading a bevy of big spenders and a who's who of business and politics to preview one of the province's biggest condominium projects yesterday.

Former provincial premiers Mike Harris and Brian Tobin, future NHL Hall-of-Famer Luc Robitaille, and Tim Hortons co-founder Ron Joyce were among the hundreds of potential buyers who joined local mayors and business heavyweights to view the models, tour a show suite and rub up against investors of Bayview.

[...]
© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2006

There's also a photo of Alan Lowe with Mariash, Brian Tobin, & Mike Harris included with the [url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/business/story.html?id=2ec335b6-7383-4b39-a33a-5ff76079f318:c9813]online[/url:c9813] version.

Holden, remember I mentioned privately some months ago, before I started posting on this forum, that Sotheby's was moving in on Victoria? My, my, this ups the ante quite a bit in terms of marketing Victoria (IMO, at any rate)...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#83 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

...to preview one of the province's biggest condominium projects...

For such a high profile project, the architectural design is rather disappointing. Not exactly "signature" buildings, these. I'm sure they'll be nice enough, but they could/should have been spectacular.

#84 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:52 PM

I agree with you, aastra, that they look pretty boring in those mock-ups/ models. It's interesting how the marketing-speak is shaping up around this...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#85 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:56 PM

Seems like "Southeby's" is a common spelling mistake.

#86 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:01 PM

I didn't even notice that -- but you're right, the newspaper misspelled it! Since it's in Canada, it shouldn't it be Northeby's?

#87 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:27 PM

Ok.
Why the **** Tobin and Harris?
Investors...who cares? They're not exactly rock stars.
At best Harris is probably the most hated politician in Ontario. I'd HIDE the fact that he was an investor.
Maybe it's a ploy to keep us Ontarians away.

#88 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:00 AM

In today's "Business" section of the T-C (11/25), a locked article:

High-end Bayview properties snapped up

Developer Ken Mariash may have underestimated the popularity of his $400-million Bayview development in Songhees.

Anybody read this?

#89 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:35 PM

Those buildings should have been the fanciest things in BC. Breaks my heart.

#90 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:45 PM

#91 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:49 PM

At this very moment, the final touches are being put on the Bayview presentation centre on Wharf Street. They have the model in there if anyone wants to get a better look.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#92 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

You should have had your camera in you back pocket, West.

#93 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:49 PM

So is Farmer the General Contractor on Bayview?

#94 rchauhan

rchauhan
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:09 PM

Yes, that is right. Farmer is the General Contractor for this project.

#95 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:27 AM

The crane further west currently on the site is taller than the crane furthest east. My sense is that the shorter crane will be moved once the 10-storey building is completed, with the taller crane remaining in place for the 13-storey tower that will be the second phase.

...just a thought :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:12 PM

This shot was taken from Dylan Leblanc's place atop the hill at Cook and Hillside. Unfortunately due to the lighting I wasn't able to capture as much detail of the building as I wanted. It turned out a little too dark so you can just barely make out the first floor being constructed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#97 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:28 PM

That's a difficult angle midday.

#98 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

NEW TITLE SPONSOR FOR VICTORIA'S SYMPHONY SPLASH

C-FAX News Feb 19, 2007

ORGANIZERS OF VICTORIA'S SYMPHONY SPLASH ARE BREATHING A SIGH OF RELIEF AFTER FINDING A NEW MAJOR SPONSOR.

LAST WEEK, THE VICTORIA SYMPHONY ANNOUNCED THAT THEY'D LOST 'ISLAND HEARING' AS THE LEAD SPONSOR FOR THE POPULAR EVEN IN VICTORIA'S INNER HARBOUR.

BUT SYMPHONY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR MARCUS HANDMAN SAID MONDAY THAT 'BAYVIEW RESIDENCES' WILL BE FILLING THE GAP.

"IT WAS AN UNUSUALLY QUICK TURN AROUND, BUT BAYVIEW PROPERTIES SAW AN OPPORTUNITY, AND THROUGH...TWO OF OUR BOARD MEMBERS WE WERE ABLE TO HAVE AN INTERVIEW ON SATURDAY AND WE MET AGAIN TODAY."

'BAYVIEW RESIDENCES' IS A HOUSING DEVELOPMENT ON THE SONGHEES HILLTOP.

THE SYMPHONY SPLASH WAS DOWN 75 THOUSAND DOLLARS WHEN ISLAND HEARING PULLED OUT.

HANDMAN SAYS THERE WAS AN OUTPOURING OF SUPPORT FROM THE COMMUNITY AND FROM VICTORIA BUSINESS.

- RYAN PRICE
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#99 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:56 PM

tall buildings bring culture!

#100 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:25 AM

This just goes to show that developers are making too much money! Just look how this guy can throw money around. We should have made him plant more organic rose bushes on his site!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users