Victoria radio stations

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

I can't find radio listenership ratings for Victoria.

YES, I can find percentages, like CFAX has a 10.2% share or whatever, but I'm looking for real numbers.

ie. On any given day at one point in time, how many people are listening to CFAX, or Zone or whatever.

Anyone?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

https://www.bbm.ca/_...adio_report.pdf

https://www.bbm.ca/_...012_revised.pdf

Not sure if this helps you? Shows the Central (Ctrl) Reach - The estimated number of different people, within the central market area, who tuned to that station for at least one quarter hour during the week.

#3 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

Sad how much CFAX has dropped over the past 3 years. 1st in market to 5th.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

Thanks for those, Squirrel.

Anybody have stats that show how many are listening to each station, at any given time?

ie. are there 25,000 CFAX listeners at 3pm on a Wednesday, or 10,000?

Anybody have the TV stats? I know CHEK still kills CTV-VI at dinner time news, except in the youngest demographic.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

CBC (Radio One) 15.9 73,300
CHBE-FM (Kool FM) 10.8 70,200
CKKQ-FM (100.3 The Q) 10.0 60,200 
CFAX-AM (News/Talk) 9.0 57,800
CIOC-FM (The Ocean) 8.4 46,900
CHTT-FM (Jack FM) 5.8 31,900
CJZN-FM (The Zone) 5.5 36,700

This is fall 2013.  The first figure is the percentage market share. The second figure is the number of people, 12+ years old, in the main listening area (Greater Victoria), that listen to the station for at least 15 minutes each week.

Looking at these numbers, and comparing with fall 2010, we have 13,600 less people listening to radio, or it could also mean we have less people switching back and forth (ie. if you listen to Zone for 20 minutes each week, and CFAX for 30 minutes each week, you will show up in "central reach" stats for both stations, the second figure).

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

How do they arrive at these numbers?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:59 AM

How do they arrive at these numbers?

You might receive a diary in the mail, you complete it for a week with your listening choices, mail it back.  Or commonly now, they have personal people meters, you wear like a pager at all times, it picks up embedded tones in radio and TV and transmits this info back to base.  That's how they get immediate overnight TV ratings now.

The sampling proves very accurate, they've been doing this for a long, long time, it's very sound.  Nobody in the industry doubts the polling methods or the results.

#8 theboss

theboss
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

You might receive a diary in the mail, you complete it for a week with your listening choices, mail it back.  Or commonly now, they have personal people meters, you wear like a pager at all times, it picks up embedded tones in radio and TV and transmits this info back to base.  That's how they get immediate overnight TV ratings now.

The sampling proves very accurate, they've been doing this for a long, long time, it's very sound.  Nobody in the industry doubts the polling methods or the results.

I'm a fairly young guy and I stopped listening to radio about a decade ago. The music selection has become stale and too safe. I find it appeals to a demographic that doesn't actually like music. It's basically just background noise.

I've switched to streaming music sites such as Rdio for all my music. I can play whatever I want, learn about new bands and songs, and even find out what is a new "hit" without having to give any station my ear. 

If these stations can make money, good for them, but I honestly can't think of a reason to tune in outside of an earthquake emergency situation. 

#9 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:38 PM

I think many people tune into radio (perhaps all news or public radio excluded) because of the personalities. I am sure people listen to the Zone just to hear Jon Williams, or the Q to hear Ed Bain, if he's still around, etc.

Music is just a filler. If there happens to be a song you like, it's a bonus.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 21 May 2014 - 10:39 PM.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:54 AM

I like jacks Ian Split or whatever his name is. He's great, and now that you mention this, Matt, do I realize that a big reason I tune in is because of him.

Theboss, I'm sure many radio listeners are in their car and have either a CD or the radio to listen to.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:55 AM

I think many people tune into radio (perhaps all news or public radio excluded) because of the personalities.

I agree. Especially in those drive-time hours, the personalities are what makes it. Music listening is so compartmentalized now. People think it's great that they don't have to listen to anything but their favourite late 90s Swedish death metal reggae bands but it comes at the expense of variety. Compared to Victoria radio of 30 years ago which might play Led Zeppelin, Kenny Rogers and The Village People in an evening. Although that may be a little too much variety for some people.

Edited by Holden West, 22 May 2014 - 05:56 AM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

Most of my listening is online.  I listen to much more of CKNW980 now than I do CFAX. 

I almost never listen to FM radio. 

I fed 6 CDs into my car's player months ago and occasionally burn a new disc when I download a new song from iTunes.  I might use my phone to play music in the car if I'm feeling especially lawless that day.

I have a Sirius subscription I barely use because the sound quality is on-par with AM radio. 

VHF - you mention that personal people meter thing that picks up tones in radio and TV.  Are cable companies still not getting data from cable boxes for ratings?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

I love to listen to the radio when walking to and from work. It's nice to have have variety but I do acknowledge our radio stations could play music that isn't seemingly from a selection roster that can never be expanded.

Know it all.

#14 theboss

theboss
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

For me, the personalities are too muzzled to be entertaining. I respect some of the talent because they're not a bumbling mess like some of the kids on CFUV, but the 5-7 minutes of air time they get per hour isn't enough to hold my attention. 

I listen to Howard Stern, Adam Carolla and Opie and Anthony because there is no filter on what they say. I just don't think anyone in this city, let alone this country can come close for entertainment. It's too safe here and there are better free podcast options online that I can load onto my iPod and play in the car or on the bus to class.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

Those would be talk radio shows more than music shows, though. You do have a little bit of that (or at least that was the case) when Brother Jake and his crew ran the morning show on Rock 101 a bit like talk radio but the show got canned a few years back. I used to LOVE listening to them when I lived on the mainland.

Know it all.

#16 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

I don't even know how to use the radio in my car or what any local channels are. Once I think I stumbled upon NPR coming out of the US and it was nice, and sometimes the french channel has some ok music.  I guess I need to figure out the pre-sets or something.  Sometimes I'll turn it on during a red light, flail at the controls and not really get any stations then give up.

• sebberry likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#17 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Only time I listen to radio is at Christmas for the carols.
  • Nparker likes this

#18 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:30 PM

I think people listen to radio stations for local news and traffic updates.  

Another thing that keeps them listening is contests.  From free tickets to concerts, movies, cash, trips and even cars. Nothing like the chance of getting something free to keep you listening.

• Matt R. likes this

#19 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

^ Wow you guys are so 2012.

Slacker, Spotify and Pandora are where it is at.

#20 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

Beat the Bank is slightly comical to listen to; the kids like it ;)

What station do you have NPR coming in on?!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users