Photo

Victoria radio stations

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#221 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 04:53 PM

I'm actually getting to like the song.  :)

Like the joke on Twitter about how much SOCAN will pay RATM for this. And how this is definitely against Canadian content rules.

#222 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 04:55 PM

All this time I though the song was Killing Me Softly (with his songs).

#223 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 08:11 PM

If you are good, still big money though, right?

Howard Stern. Tucker Carlson. Ryan Seacrest. Don Imus. Sean Hannity. Glenn Beck.

At one time it was rumoured Barry Bowman locally was making $100,000/yr. Or about $225,000 in today dollars.

Yes if you are thinking the largest US media markets, and only the very largest ones in this country; not a consumer of those particular shows myself but I have to presume Stern & Co also simul-broadcast and stream their shows online and or make use of podcasting in addition to obviously broadcasting over traditional radio.

My comment was aimed with the local BC/West Coast market in mind. The excellent BCIT media program from which virtually any 'known' media person in this province has attended in the last 50 years? No problem; I had the grades and more critically I had the connections to waltz in any time and graduate. Fortunately I didn't have the same passion for the media biz industry as my father and good thing too since had I gone that route, after getting my UVic degree I would have graduated from BCIT all of about two years before the emergence of the commercialized inter-web - which literally changed everything.

The reason you used to see Freddie Latremouille doing the weather on BCTV in the 80's - after a stellar and very long career at heavyweight AM radio stations like CFUN and CKLG among others - was that it became increasingly difficult to make a living doing radio even on a FT basis especially if you were in Vancouver and the cost of living in that city rose higher and higher. Unless you were a really big name like Red Robinson. Roy Hennessey or Gary Bannerman shifts were often split, if you were very junior you got the less desirable 'midnight shift' or, worse, something god-awful like a 6- 9am split combined with 3 - 6pm 'afternoon drive'; although Latremouille, who was almost as well known as RR, was one of the very first radio guys who crossed over to TV, he did so for strictly professional as opposed to $ reasons, other less well known radio personalities did it primarily for the money. More so with the rise of the web and as industry consolidation increased and (AM advertising sales) dollars became harder to come by.....

Only the very very top 'name' DJ's got anything close to big dollars in those days and many wound up moonlighting, crossing over to other media formats or sometimes other industries altogether, in order to augment their radio gig salary.

Ask any of the veteran Vancouver DJ group these days and they point to (initially) the rise of FM radio, corporate buyouts and consolidation - Toronto being Ground Zero for the latter, making all the programming decisions for markets like Vancouver, hardly ideal - and the rise of 'alternative' technology web, digital and streaming platforms as the beginning of the downfall of the traditional radio model, especially AM talk radio which for years in BC was the King of the Airwaves. If you worked at CKNW from the mid-70's - late 90's, you were really in the regional radio big time and professional opportunities abounded here in BC and well beyond. Not so much today. Most of the Vancouver-centric radio old guard that we grew up here listening to as teens, is retired or retiring, and many have passed; those who remain frequently moonlight selling real estate or something similar to capitalise on their name recognition. The industry has certainly seen better days.

*The PSR site BTW is owned and operated by an ex-CHEK alumnus, Mike Easton. Good guy, friend of the family and although he is well over waaaay farther to the political Right than me, we still manage to be civil to one another, lol. Mike is definitely 'connected' in the radio biz especially.....

• Nparker likes this

#224 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 10:27 PM

So Kiss FM Vancouver flipped to Sonic Radio, alternative rock, this morning.

This is the opener from their first DJ kind of explaining the stunt. Oh, and getting the actual name of the song wrong, like most of the internet over the last day or so. Its "Killing in the name", no "of" at the end.

https://twitter.com/...517358861766656

• Matt R. likes this

#225 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 06:22 AM

Bam. You nailed it!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#226 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 10:43 AM

Surprised she didn’t mention the protests to protect our body autonomy from the state. Biggest protest in Canada’s history…

#227 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 12:06 AM

There have also been some CFAX ads for Ledcor job opportunities in Fort McMurray.  Not sure that's the CFAX demographic.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 August 2022 - 12:07 AM.

#228 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 10:46 PM

Wore my Jon Williams shirt in Victoria last week, got more than a few comments! I haven’t worn it for a while, and it’s nice to see people still remember… and then who comes into my store the following weekend? The man himself!

https://www.whatwasthatradio.com/about

#229 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 02:30 PM

Jon Williams has one of the best voices in radio. I enjoyed listening to his show on the zone 91.3. Always great stories and great music.
  • Matt R. likes this

#230 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 10:18 AM

Norm Pattiz, the media entrepreneur who founded Westwood One and Podcast One in a career that spanned half a century, has died. Inside Radio confirmed his passing late Monday afternoon. The cause of death was not immediately known. Pattiz was 79.

One of the leaders in the modern era of syndicated radio programming, Pattiz formed Westwood One in 1976, which grew into one of radio’s largest programming syndicators.

Pattiz surprised broadcasters in 2012 when, after working in network radio for more than three decades, he launched a company in the new medium of podcasting. Podcast One grew into a network of more than 200 shows. “Radio should be embracing podcasting and digital and make them part of radio so that radio, which has a decades-long history of growing, will be able to keep doing that,” he told the annual Radio Show conference in 2018.

In 2010, he created Courtside Entertainment Group, which produces and finances multi-platform programming for broadcast and online distribution. The name was inspired by the founder’s love for the Los Angeles Lakers, for which he was a season ticket holder for decades.

https://www.insidera...ca21fabec3.html

638e7508a0020.image.jpg?resize=375%2C325

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2022 - 10:18 AM.

#231 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 04:54 AM

Today, the CRTC updated its commercial radio policy to better support Canadian artists and provide flexibility to help the radio industry remain competitive in a changing environment.

To support Canadian artists, the CRTC is:

• upholding requirements for Canadian content and French-language vocal music
  • ensuring that Canadian and French-language vocal music requirements can no longer be circumvented through montages of popular non-Canadian songs
  • setting an expectation that commercial stations play at least 5% of songs from emerging Canadian artists, and
  • launching, in the near future, a consultation that will examine the approach to Canadian content development (CCD) contributions by commercial radio broadcasters and ensure that funding reaches diverse initiatives.

To provide more flexibility to the radio industry, the CRTC is:

• moving towards new criteria to determine if a song is Canadian, and refining some content categories that will broaden the eligible songs that stations can play to meet their Canadian content requirements
  • working to implement a new digital monitoring system and open music database that will reduce the regulatory burden on broadcasters
  • eliminating the “hits policy” in Montreal and OttawaGatineau; and
  • allowing broadcasters to operate one more FM station in the same market, under certain conditions.

To increase support for Indigenous content and voices within mainstream radio, the CRTC also expects commercial radio stations to include Indigenous music in their playlists and to report annually on the amount of Indigenous content aired. Additionally, the Commission intends to gather information on the different funds and initiatives that help support, promote and ensure the sustainability of the Indigenous content through the launch of a follow-up proceeding.

https://www.thateric...mmercial-radio/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 December 2022 - 04:54 AM.

#232 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 07:41 AM

I’m hearing CFAX has been punching well above its weight lately, in terms of ratings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#233 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 07:42 AM

Just more reasons to listen to
music on something other than traditional radio.

#234 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 09:14 AM

Surprised this hasn't come up yet.

https://twitter.com/...339186037686292

Court filing at least looks legit.

If true is this the end of Adam Stirling on CFAX?

• martini and Matt R. like this

#235 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 09:22 AM

We shall see. The apology came out of the blue for sure.

#236 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 09:25 AM

I am no fan of Ezra and he certainly has had his share of issues but Adam's actions seem even more bizarre. 

• martini likes this

#237 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 09:38 AM

Surprised this hasn't come up yet.

https://twitter.com/...339186037686292

Court filing at least looks legit.

If true is this the end of Adam Stirling on CFAX?

Saw this on Reddit last night for some reason. Weird nobody here mentioned it before.

#238 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 09:48 AM

I don't have any issues with Adam aside from the fact that I think many of his monologues ramble unnecessarily. He is one of very few people who actually ask tough questions anymore.

Having said that I have to think that there are many people in the NDP/Greens and at various City Halls preparing to dance all over his grave and who are doing everything they can to expedite that. It is one thing to call Bell and complain that he is picking on you, but something completely different to have him admit that he fabricated a story as important as this one.

• martini likes this

#239 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 11:16 AM

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Actually pursuing journalism doesn't attract ears, generating outrage does – and as such, if he's asking tough questions, he only does so in service of the conclusions that increase his ratings. He is not a journalist by any measure.

With that being said, I don't understand why he'd make up stuff about Ezra Levant, a well known horse dropping in human form who gleefully provides the world plenty of interesting reasons to dislike him. 

• martini likes this

#240 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 02:11 PM

Isn't Levant the clown who once advocated privatizing the CPP? I read part of the Mercer Global Pension report last year which had Canada in the top dozen rated pension plans in the world out of an index which evaluated about 50 such government plans. This guy should stay in Alberta IMO and go frack something.....

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users