Victoria radio stations

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

I'll contend that there is no real loss to losing community radio. Our quality of life will not go down. How is it 'vital'?

I think it's less and less.  Social media can handle the photos, videos, stories about that wind storm last night.  Royals fans can listen to the game online, or check the score before they go to bed, or online when they wake.  The tent city?  Yesterday's TC article published at 4:46pm said the city was at 30 tents.  I walked right through the middle of it yesterday at 3pm and reported right here that the number was 52.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:49 AM

I'll contend that there is no real loss to losing community radio. Our quality of life will not go down. How is it 'vital'?

If your quality of life doesn't involve knowing about what's going on around you, then sure. And if you think forums like this are a good alternative, I'm sorry for you.
  • Rob Randall and Mr Cook Street like this

#83 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:49 AM

I respectfully disagree. There is a connection to the community that is provided by local programming such as news and sports. This forum is another example of connecting to local information that you don't get by logging on to CNN.

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:56 AM

I respectfully disagree. There is a connection to the community that is provided by local programming such as news and sports. This forum is another example of connecting to local information that you don't get by logging on to CNN.

But this is going away.  Young folks do not watch the 5:30pm news on TV.  And increasingly they just stream music, not listen to the radio.  Radio is still key in cars, only because vehicle equipment lags a bit behind, esp. in the cars young folks own.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#85 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

I'll admit, I've never really listened to radio (not by choice), so I don't have anything to lose. Yet I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

#86 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:12 AM

I'll admit, I've never really listened to radio (not by choice), so I don't have anything to lose. Yet I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

May I recommend the local CBC morning show? 0600-0900 on weekdays. Among other things, you'll hear interviews with local politicians, experts, ordinary people, and so on about local issues and events. And sometimes they play the theme from 633 Squadron.
  • Jill and Mr Cook Street like this

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:25 PM

The beauty of the radio is you can listen while doing other things. Social media and all other forms of media require you to be focused solely on that medium and nothing else. Radio is passive, hands free and if done well is a breaking news service with vetted, professionally delivered information.

Everyone thought satellite radio would destroy traditional AM/FM radio services, until people realized that satellite radio doesn't quite work as well as it's billed to work and you can forget about local content.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

May I recommend the local CBC morning show? 0600-0900 on weekdays. Among other things, you'll hear interviews with local politicians, experts, ordinary people, and so on about local issues and events. And sometimes they play the theme from 633 Squadron.

Thanks for the recommendation. I physically can't follow radio. Oh well.

#89 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

If you're so inclined, podcasts of much of this are available.

#90 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:07 PM

The beauty of the radio is you can listen while doing other things. Social media and all other forms of media require you to be focused solely on that medium and nothing else. Radio is passive, hands free and if done well is a breaking news service with vetted, professionally delivered information.

Everyone thought satellite radio would destroy traditional AM/FM radio services, until people realized that satellite radio doesn't quite work as well as it's billed to work and you can forget about local content.

Another interesting facet is that your imagination provides all the visuals for radio, which I see as a very good thing to balance the endless imagery TV throws at you.

Many thought TV and then the Internet would kill radio, but it didn't happen. Radio remains popular, and lucrative – just look at the who owns stations, and how they try to profit from them.

#91 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

Just thought of something – there are lots of transcripts of radio programs available online, particularly from NPR. Not so much from local broadcasters, unfortunately.

Edited by Benezet, 30 November 2015 - 01:59 PM.

#92 VictoriaSportsNews

VictoriaSportsNews
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC (Saanich)

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:16 PM

Only the last 5 posts in this thread, prior to yours.

That's what happens when I scan really quickly for key words limited to: "Forbes and Marshall" and "The Ocean" and "98.5" etc etc...doh!...but saying that it was four posts before that there were obvious key words. Lesson learned: slow down and read. #waytoomuchcoffee.

Losing local radio and TV and print is an interesting problem. Online, you can write an article, do podcasting and live video streaming or recorded video and have it up much faster. Although vetting, editing, researching takes the same amount of time. But as the saying goes, "nothing happens until a sale is made." The advertising sales dollars must be going away to adwords and more creative ways to promote one's business.....

What about the thought of having at least six radio stations in one market? Ocean, Kiss, Q!, Zone, CFAX, CFUV, Kool, CBC...any other's? Is that a lot? Someone said that Kelowna has seven and they survive. Victoria also has access to Seattle and Vancouver radio - seems like a lot.

Christopher Kelsall,
Owner
Victoria Sports News
Athletics Illustrated

Victoria Run Series

chris@victoriasportsnews.com

@VSNSportsNews
Facebook
www.victoriasportsnews.com
www.athleticsillustrated.com
www.victoriarunseries.com

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:51 PM

Losing local radio and TV and print is an interesting problem. Online, you can write an article, do podcasting and live video streaming or recorded video and have it up much faster. Although vetting, editing, researching takes the same amount of time. But as the saying goes, "nothing happens until a sale is made." The advertising sales dollars must be going away to adwords and more creative ways to promote one's business.....

What about the thought of having at least six radio stations in one market? Ocean, Kiss, Q!, Zone, CFAX, CFUV, Kool, CBC...any other's? Is that a lot? Someone said that Kelowna has seven and they survive. Victoria also has access to Seattle and Vancouver radio - seems like a lot.

Ya, those are good points.  We must lose some listenership to Vancouver and Seattle for sure, but I never really see those stats.

Ya, Kelowna has more like 9.

https://en.wikipedia...ritish_Columbia

#94 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

We must lose some listenership to Vancouver and Seattle for sure, but I never really see those stats.

Those stats are reported by listeners in the ratings books but I don't know if they are filtered out of the finished ratings because they are not of interest to Canadian advertisers. I only read the basic summaries posted here and on PSR but perhaps the full ratings book shows everything.

My wild guess is that the most popular US station here is 92.9 KISM.

Edited by Rob Randall, 30 November 2015 - 04:05 PM.

#95 VictoriaSportsNews

VictoriaSportsNews
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC (Saanich)

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

Those stats are reported by listeners in the ratings books but I don't know if they are filtered out of the finished ratings because they are not of interest to Canadian advertisers. I only read the basic summaries posted here and on PSR but perhaps the full ratings book shows everything.

I would suggest that you are correct too, however, for talk radio I am betting CKNW has more Victoria listeners than 90.5 CBC does and eats into CFAX audience quite a bit.

Christopher Kelsall,
Owner
Victoria Sports News
Athletics Illustrated

Victoria Run Series

chris@victoriasportsnews.com

@VSNSportsNews
Facebook
www.victoriasportsnews.com
www.athleticsillustrated.com
www.victoriarunseries.com

#96 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

Agreed. The other big losers are local business. They have limited affordable ways to reach their target audience and local radio / print are two of those methods. Most small shops don't have a big web presence and certainly don't have the means or knowledge to do web / mobile advertising in a sophisticated way so they lose out more and more to  the national brands that have the money and knowledge to out market them. 

#97 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:04 PM

But this is going away.  Young folks do not watch the 5:30pm news on TV.  And increasingly they just stream music, not listen to the radio.  Radio is still key in cars, only because vehicle equipment lags a bit behind, esp. in the cars young folks own.

But thats just young people in general....20, 30 years ago, I had no time for CBC Radio - it was what my parents listened to, and who the heck was Peter Gzowski, anyway?
Different story nowadays - I get irate (well, mildly annoyed) when SWMBO or my kids change the radio channel, or turn the volume down just when the news is about to start.
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:13 PM

^ that does not describe the streaming problem though.

#99 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:53 AM

Or perhaps 100.7 as that's the only country station within reach (I think 93.7 is a bit staticky here?).

#100 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:52 PM

CFAX has been running audio in the evenings of late from earlier CTV Vancouver Island newscasts, followed by xmas music.  would seem that the sports feed has been severed, though Canucks games remain.  further, i hear that Patti Mack's weekend lifestyle show has been cancelled.  there's bound to be more news of the chops to come.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)