Victoria radio stations

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#141 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

The Forbes and Marshall team are now working for Remax, Realty being the preferred profession for old radio jocks put out to pasture.

Yah no doubt; the Vancouver real estate market is chock a block with ex radio and TV people presumably leveraging their name in pursuit of greener real estate pasture$. The radio-media business has changed so much in the last 10-15 years its almost inevitable. Unless you are willing to re-locate to a big media market in Canada or the US it can be tough to get re-established once your're dumped.

I was speaking with Graham Hatch, one of YVR's best known jocks a couple of years back, and he just rolled his eyes when the subject came up.

He mentioned between 1999-2014 he's worked for something like 7-8 different radio outlets around the lower mainland due largely in his opinion to industry consolidation, buy-outs and corporate focus on the bottom line, meaning in the case of an on-air personality hitting "X" bucks the bean counters were not far behind. See Global-TV as a prime example. A challenging environment to be sure...

Edited by AllseeingEye, 12 December 2016 - 01:06 PM.

#142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:33 PM

Other than Hudson Mack and FaM, who else has gone from media to real-estate in the CRD?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#143 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:51 PM

Other than Hudson Mack and FaM, who else has gone from media to real-estate in the CRD?

Kim Emmerson, but he might have come back.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#144 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:08 PM

Some of the old 1980s guy I think, like Barry Kennard from C-FAX and Alex Robertson from CHEK.

• Mike K. likes this

#145 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:35 PM

Great global radio finder:

http://radio.garden/live/
  • Janion Fan likes this

#146 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:36 AM

^ Good one.

#147 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:45 PM

Super cool. Thanks Rob.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#148 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:06 AM

Whoa! That's super cool.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#149 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:58 AM

It is; some seriously cutting edge stuff particularly on some of the European stations. Great find Rob...

#150 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:37 PM

Great global radio finder:

http://radio.garden/live/

Oh NO.....there goes my afternoon! This is just amazing. Listening to a pub quiz in Penzance right now.

#151 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:05 PM

If the I Heart Radio people were smart they'd have a similar Canada map.

Internet radio has been around for a while but this is the best interface I've seen. Others were too overwhelming but putting every station on a globe gives you a great idea of the size and concentration of the stations and encourages you to explore regions you'd never think of.

#152 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:49 AM

VictoriaBuzz is reporting that Kiss FM has fired their hosts and may become a country station.  Personally I think it's a great idea

• catfluff likes this

#153 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:01 PM

That would be appropriate because that building was once home to CJVI AM which had a country format at one point.

This picture was taken ten years ago when the rebranding to Jack uncovered the old CJVI 900 logo.

jack_cjvi2_jan08.JPG

Edited by Rob Randall, 09 November 2018 - 12:15 PM.

• Bernard likes this

#154 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:24 AM

My favourite there was I think called CKDA Coast 900 and it did Oldies but with a bit more edge than CISL 650 in Vancouver.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#155 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:09 PM

^You've managed to conflate three stations, CKDA was oldies that flipped to country and then became The Zone, Coast 1040--a Vancouver alternative station and Oldies 900 that's now KiSS.

Edited by Rob Randall, 12 November 2018 - 07:26 PM.

#156 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:32 PM

I honestly wonder how many folks actually listen to terrestrial radio in Victoria any longer?

Thousands?

Tens of Thousands?

Does anybody know?

I picked up a Sirrius/XM subscription a few years ago, and I couldn't imagine going back to listening to terrestrial radio ever again. 

Road tripping all up and down the West Coast, and East from Las Vegas to all the great National Parks while listening uninterrupted to the same great music stations, specialty shows, Howard Stern, news, etc is pretty cool.

#157 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:41 PM

^You've managed to conflate three stations, CKDA was oldies that flipped to country and then became The Zone, Coast 1040--a Vancouver alternative station and Oldies 900 that's now KiSS.

Thanks for fixing my memory now it is all making sense to me!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#158 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:59 PM

I honestly wonder how many folks actually listen to terrestrial radio in Victoria any longer?

Thousands?

Tens of Thousands?

Does anybody know?

I picked up a Sirrius/XM subscription a few years ago, and I couldn't imagine going back to listening to terrestrial radio ever again. 

Road tripping all up and down the West Coast, and East from Las Vegas to all the great National Parks while listening uninterrupted to the same great music stations, specialty shows, Howard Stern, news, etc is pretty cool.

+1.  Will never go back to terrestrial radio unless it's in my beater pickup.

#159 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:12 PM

I would've guessed, correctly it appears, that radio listener-ship in this country remains strong overall even in 2018 - its just spread around the various multi-channel platforms that are available to today's audiences. As might be expected receiver-only listeners are on a slow bell curve decline, but still remain in a majority. Overall the 'radio' audience is clearly still there one way or another - 

http://mediaincanada...dominant-study/

#160 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:38 PM

I generally listen to the radio while driving. CBC 690 AM north of Lee’s Hill and the Zone south of the hill. Rural living, eh?

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users