• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#161 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:37 AM

I guess I'm the odd man out.

I subscribed to Spotify a couple of years ago. I can use it at home on a pc, or in the car where my phone and system bluetooth..... so I can leave it in my pants so to speak.

Nice clean rich sound with no commercials. Intuitive presets or pick a genre or a single. Even when I listen to Mike on Friday mornings on CFAX, I plumb it through my phone.

#162 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:09 AM

:redface:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#163 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 07:55 PM

Or you can go here and listen to most any radio station in the world..

http://radio.garden/live/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#164 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:04 PM

Since my phone still has a headphone jack I can listen to FM radio rather than stream it. I often switch over to that for my walks though the irony of using a modern smartphone to replicate the functionality of a 1970s transistor radio is not lost on me.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#165 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:11 PM

Kool FM is now Virgin Radio

http://www.victoriab...NHAiSMaQl1Xaht0

Edited by RFS, 08 February 2019 - 05:11 PM.

#166 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:26 AM

So CFAX' sister station is now branded under the Virgin label; the radio landscape sure has changed in the last even 20 years never mind going back further than that.

Once upon a time there was a push/nudge for me to get into that game. Sure glad I resisted. Between technological convergence and especially corporate consolidation and buyouts it definitely isn't a career for the faint of heart. Back in the day you moved to Navel Lint BC, put in your time, got some experience, then slowly worked your way back to larger markets (if that was your goal, which for many back then it was).

Today you pretty much have to contract out across multiple media platforms even beyond radio - the late great Fred Latremouille was one of the first BC media personalities to switch back and forth between radio, TV (BCTV weather) and online podcasting - and certainly within the radio medium be prepared to move around a lot. Had a nice convo with popular YVR radio jock Graham Hatch a few years back, who mentioned over a 25 year span he'd virtually lost count of the number of moves he'd made to that point within the industry. Way back in the day it was common to spend an entire career with the same station, or at most make a move or two. I remember Hatch from the old 'LG73 Morning Zoo in the 80s; today's he's on something called 104.3 the Breeze.....

Its nothing short of a miracle that Ed and Cliff have survived on the local airwaves as long as they have and I would venture a guess that's only because its 'locally' owned, i.e. by the Pattison Group, as opposed to some bean-counting-obsessed Dark Matter entity back east (Corus, Bell) or offshore like Virgin.

#167 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:31 AM

^I understand Canada's Virgin stations are owned and operated by Bell.

#168 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:02 PM

Ed and Cliff have survived because they have what is desperately being sought by radio stations: local personality.

Music is everywhere. You can stream it in your car whenever you want. What is required is an Ed Bain and a Cliff to pull an audience, not the music Ed and Cliff play. That’s why Virgin has brought in born-and-raised Victorians to the station in the hopes that their localized personality and understanding of the city and region recreates Ed and Cliff. Every other station has the “wow, it doesn’t snow here lol lol lol!?!” Saskatchewan transplant that spends the first year talking about mundane topics everyone’s heard from every other jockey over the last 20 years. And then there’s the lady let go from Kool a while back and eventually picked up by Ocean who can’t host a show without a rant about men. Local music stations here lack personality.

The best thing Ocean could ever do is bring back the couple that hosted the station for time immemorial. Their biggest mistake was axing them and replacing them with a weak formula that made it no different from Kool or 103 (whatever its name du jour is).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#169 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

I’ve been listening to 80s on 8, 90s on 9, First Wave, Classic Rewind/Vinyl, Backspin, Ozzy’s Boneyard and Howard Stern for years on Sirius XM. I can’t envision ever going back to terrestrial radio, especially with the cut rate that I pay for satellite. The total and utter lack of commercials is just so sweet.

#170 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:29 PM

^

Sound quality on SiriusXM is quite poor. The signals are very compressed in order to fit more channels on.

I used to get with with various offers (2 months free! 5 months for $25! 6 months for $30!) but now I don't even bother.

#171 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:45 PM

^

Sound quality on SiriusXM is quite poor. The signals are very compressed in order to fit more channels on.

I used to get with with various offers (2 months free! 5 months for $25! 6 months for $30!) but now I don't even bother.

Meh, I'm in a car, not a sound studio, so I'm not terribly bothered about sound quality.  It sounds better than good enough on the road.  I pay a lot less than retail and am happy enough with the value for quality.

#172 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:58 PM

I haven't listened to a regular radio station since I bought a new car 4 years ago that has SiriusXM. I'm probably not getting the same sweet deal as Bob, but what I pay is worth it to me. No ads or more annoying, announcers (sorry ASE). 

I'm always surprised when you folks talk about the local radio stations - didn't think anyone listened or even cared anymore. 

At home or work, I listen to free streaming services or even just music on Youtube. Lots of Youtube channels that have hours of music with one click, just the short ad at the front.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#173 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:09 PM

I haven't listened to a regular radio station since I bought a new car 4 years ago that has SiriusXM. I'm probably not getting the same sweet deal as Bob, but what I pay is worth it to me. No ads or more annoying, announcers (sorry ASE). 

It's very easy to do, Redd.  If you decide that it is no longer worth it to you, simply call them up and tell them that you would like to cancel.  I tell them that for the amount that I drive my car - which is not a daily driver - I can't justify $14.99 per month or whatever they charge.  They will offer you a moderately reduced rate - which most people take!  Balk at that and they will transfer you to their retentions department, which is where the real savings start.

Now as you said, you pay what it is worth to you.  If you decide that it is no longer worth it, give the above a try.  I suspect that this will work for a long time, as they are always struggling to obtain/retain customers.

#174 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,344 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:10 PM

I think people like local news and weather mixed in with music to various degrees so still like local radio.
  • Matt R. likes this

#175 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:33 PM

Speaking of radio stations...what is it with Victoria stores that play the radio in their stores? I leave as soon as I hear an ad or announcer. I have complained to numerous stores over the years but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I understand when you are small business and the owner does what they like. But I tell them it is causing me to leave. So then don't whine when you lose business! BTW, Red Barn which is not small anymore is guilty of this - thus why I rarely shop there.

I have a retail store. For the last 13 years, we have played streaming music without ads or announcers. Go in to any chain store - they do the the same.

#176 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,344 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

do you pay for that? some places play the radio because it’s free and also free of licensing fees or monthly steaming service fees.

places like McDonald’s have negotiated fees directly with labels for their streams.
  • Matt R. likes this

#177 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:47 PM

I really like listening to the Zone for their on air staff, very entertaining and a seemingly personal touch. I can’t be the only one!

Matt.
  • Jackerbie likes this

#178 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,344 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:48 PM

There are fewer business locations for music compared with the billions of global consumers targeted by Spotify or Apple Music, but stores pay about $40 a month versus $10 for private listeners. There’s money for artists too. Rights holders get about half of Soundtrack’s revenue from companies, while Spotify sends about $7 back to rights holders like labels, publishers and musicians for every $10 in sales.

https://www.thestar....-mcdonalds.html

#179 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:58 PM

do you pay for that? some places play the radio because it’s free and also free of licensing fees or monthly steaming service fees.

places like McDonald’s have negotiated fees directly with labels for their streams.

No we don't pay. Just make use of the many free online streaming services. Other small shops like us could do the same - we have one location, 2 or 3 staff at most.

I realize the chains pay fees for a service. Red Barn is a chain now. So why be cheap and play the radio? I would think they would want to create an environment that would induce people to stay and buy stuff, not run out as soon as the ad or announcer comes on (which is what I do)?

With my business, I have always tried to have nothing that would turn a potential customer off - we don't have a pet (dog or cat) in the store, no signs of any kind that give away our political or religious opinions. And we don't have the radio playing with the annoying ads or announcers. I want the broadest scope of folks wanting to buy stuff from me. 

#180 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:08 PM

I really like listening to the Zone for their on air staff, very entertaining and a seemingly personal touch. I can’t be the only one!

Matt.

What if anything do you play at the restaurant?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users