Photo

Proposal to reduce municipal speed limit to 40 km/h

• Please log in to reply
1454 replies to this topic

#1361 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:58 AM

or more people will walk and cycle because cars near them will be going slower?

Considering most roads I can think of in Saanich that would be classified as "residential" have no sidewalks, parking on both sides (if there is sidewalks frequently parking on them) and not enough space for two cars to pass without one pulling over I can see some people avoiding walking on residential streets because of the speed of passing cars.

#1362 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:05 AM

but everyone knows slow speeds use more fuel = more harmful to the environment.  esp. with smaller cars.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2020 - 06:05 AM.

• sebberry likes this

#1363 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:26 AM

but everyone knows slow speeds use more fuel = more harmful to the environment.  esp. with smaller cars.

attachicon.gifscreenshot-www.google.com-2020.08.06-10_03_52.png

considering as I said, you frequently need to pull over when another car approaches I'm not sure how many people go 50 to begin with (or they enjoy slamming on the accelerator just to slam on the breaks basically as soon as they hit 50). I was just saying I think people might become more willing to walk on residential streets the rarer someone going 50. In my experience it's frequently quicker using residential streets than walking to Carey or Tillicum so more people noticing that might be more willing to walk somewhere they normally would drive to for example. 

#1364 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:40 AM

so why reduce speed limits if most people are driving slow anyway?  as you say.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2020 - 06:40 AM.

#1365 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:45 AM

so why reduce speed limits if most people are driving slow anyway?  as you say.

because there are people that race up residential streets at 50k. Why do you think we need to allow 50k on them? They're called "residential streets" not "thoroughfares". They're meant for the residents not getting from point A to B using Cadillac because Carey (specifically turning on Tillicum) and the TCH are too backed up. 

• Brayvehart and Brantastic like this

#1366 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:55 AM

so why reduce speed limits if most people are driving slow anyway?

Social engineering.

• sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

#1367 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:58 AM

because there are people that race up residential streets at 50k. Why do you think we need to allow 50k on them? They're called "residential streets" not "thoroughfares". They're meant for the residents not getting from point A to B using Cadillac because Carey (specifically turning on Tillicum) and the TCH are too backed up. 

there are "some people" that speed up the Pat Bay at 110kmh.   signage just does not seem to work.  why will it work on side streets?

#1368 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:05 AM

there are "some people" that speed up the Pat Bay at 110kmh.   signage just does not seem to work.  why will it work on side streets?

if it won't work anyway what's the problem with the speed limit being lowered?

• Brayvehart likes this

#1369 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:09 AM

if it won't work anyway what's the problem with the speed limit being lowered?

cost.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#1370 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:13 AM

cost.

ah yes, if it doesn't directly benefit me it's a waste of money. Good talk.

• Brayvehart likes this

#1371 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:24 AM

cost.

And a false sense of safety.  

Look, this is a PR stunt, no more.  There's rarely any change in vehicle speeds on these lightly used residential roads when these changes happen.  

Oh, and look at Gorge Road.  40k zone makes it safe for the residents of the low barrier shelters?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1372 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:58 AM

ah yes, if it doesn't directly benefit me it's a waste of money. Good talk.

The recent OB traffic speed study showed that changing speed limit signs does absolutely zip to change actual speeds. The 85th percentile on Granite was 41kmh in a posted 50 and when they changed it to 40, the 85th percentile was 42kmh. Similar reports on increasing speed limits on the Coq to 120 showed speeds didn’t actually change as folks were primarily traveling at 115 but at least now they weren’t lawbreakers

Edited by rjag, 06 August 2020 - 07:58 AM.

• sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

#1373 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:42 AM

Speed limit can be whatever. It won't affect my driving on normal Saanich roads.
  • rjag likes this

#1374 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:39 PM

No, they're called roads; and they're meant for everyone to use as they see fit.

Residents do NOT own the roads they live on.  Far too many people either forget or intentionally ignore this basic fact.

#1375 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:20 PM

A recent speed enforcement blitz out my way was launched in response to resident concerns. The staff sergeant who oversaw it happens to be a friend, and he was laughing at the fact that the people they caught speeding were residents of the street. Local residents thought it was people passing through who were the culprits.
  • rjag and sebberry like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1376 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:12 AM

A recent speed enforcement blitz out my way was launched in response to resident concerns. The staff sergeant who oversaw it happens to be a friend, and he was laughing at the fact that the people they caught speeding were residents of the street. Local residents thought it was people passing through who were the culprits.

100% I have seen studies in the past that show the folks most likely to take risks on residential streets are the ones that live on those streets due to their familiarity of the area. 

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#1377 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:17 AM

I noticed when I turned off Oak Bay Avenue up Redfern the other day that in that block both ends have a large concrete barrel in the  middle of the road. You can go around it but I guess it's to discourage common peasants from driving on the road. I haven't noticed barricades on the other sidestreets in that area. I often come back along one of them as I have appts. in that neck of the woods.

#1378 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:24 AM

100% I have seen studies in the past that show the folks most likely to take risks on residential streets are the ones that live on those streets due to their familiarity of the area. 

perfect then.  those that are familiar can go faster because they know the blind spots and difficult areas and those new to the area always go slow.  safest system ever.

#1379 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:38 AM

I've seen that so many times. As soon as the driver gets back into home territory he/she will speed up, not bother to signal, and start doing rolling stops at stop signs.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1380 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:44 AM

While we often refer to children as being vulnerable on their streets when drivers pass by, aren’t children more likely to be injured on their street by dad backing out of their own driveway, than by a random stranger driving by the house?

Those accidents are so common that I believe backup cameras are now standard on most vehicles.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users