• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#61 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

Grocery stores are 5%
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#62 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

He likely made them a deal they could not refuse.     :rtfm:

Perhaps he took some lessons from AK on the 'loan to own' business.

#63 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:17 PM

i like country grocer, please stay away 

• Dietrich likes this

#64 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

I do not think there is much profit margin in food stores.  That probably means we have several stores in town that lose money every month, but they stay open just to keep market share.

+1

Grocery store margins are very low. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#65 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:07 PM

Grocery stores are 5%

...Profit Margin
  • Matt R. likes this

#66 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

He already owned a piece of it.  Knowing the way he does business, for all we know he acquired it automatically in some fashion that his previous business agreement set out.  ie. I buy in with $10M now.  If in 5 years you do not hit XYZ sales target, then I take the rest over at ABC price.  He's been known to do that type of a deal.  A bit of a "I'll strangle you now, or we can talk about a possible strangle in 5 years.  How would you like to proceed?"

As far as a deal with a clause like you described, the timing would also make sense, as he first invested in February 2012.

Pattison invests in rival Quality Foods - Nanaimo News

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#67 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

It's too bad that Pattison isn't putting this store @ 1008 Pandora (instead of Save-On Foods)...

• Dietrich, Dr. Barillas and nagel like this

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:24 PM

Who knows, that might end up being the case once the dust settles. Still two years away.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#69 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

The downside to all these buy ups and mergers is that eventually it will lead to having one or a few mega companies that control all grocery stores, kind of like our food distribution system in North America where I think 5 mega corporations have control over the majority of our food.

• Nparker and spanky123 like this

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

The downside to all these buy ups and mergers is that eventually it will lead to having one or a few mega companies that control all grocery stores, kind of like our food distribution system in North America where I think 5 mega corporations have control over the majority of our food.

They have "control" over our food?  But there are hundreds of thousands of North American food producers.  So aren't we safe that way?

Here's an interesting 2012 graphic BTW:

chartaug13_2012-01.jpg

http://www.ufcw.ca/i...temid=6&lang=en

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#71 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

There are a few huge companies though that control a massive amount of production. Think Pepsi, Coke, Kraft, General Mills.

#72 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:29 AM

^ Procter & Gamble.... YUGE!!

#73 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

The illusion of choice...

k0pv0.jpg

• Nparker and Dr. Barillas like this

#74 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

^ Ya, that's a lot of packaged and processed foods, but it's still only a small portion of the brands available.  YES, they may account for a huge percentage of overall sales, but there are still lots of other suppliers.

And apart from consistency (you know what you are getting), I'm not sure any of the brands above are all that cherished.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#75 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

If none of those brands are all that cherished, I would challenge you to name one brand that is. Many of those brands above are among the most cherished and recognizable in the world.

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

If none of those brands are all that cherished, I would challenge you to name one brand that is. Many of those brands above are among the most cherished and recognizable in the world.

In Canada, Tim Horton, Molson, McCain. 

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

Philip Morris owns Kraft, btw, and the ownership of the brands we consider top-level brands (Kraft, etc.,) are often themselves only branches of a much larger tree.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#78 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

Philip Morris owns Kraft, btw, and the ownership of the brands we consider top-level brands (Kraft, etc.,) are often themselves only branches of a much larger tree.

Nope, not since 2007. Kraft Heinz is the top level company now. As are the other top-level companies on the image. Phillip Morris divested their stake to shareholders. Now Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway and Tim Horton's owner 3G Capital are the primary shareholders.

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

Oh, well woulda ya look at that.

Know it all.

#80 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

The illusion of choice...

But only 5 of those companies are in the top-10 by sales.

http://www.foodproce...0/top-100-2014/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users