Photo

City of Victoria garbage collection rules change in Feb 2013 - 50% fewer pick-ups, reduced bin size, introduction of separate food waste collection

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

It would appear that residents of the City of Victoria in "zone 10," which I assume makes up the majority if not the entire neighbourhood of Vic West, will have only one garbage pickup throughout the entire month of February all while adjusting to the first month of reduced bin sizes, a new green bin policy and reduction from weekly garbage pick-up to bi-weekly (save for February).

The new bins are 120 liters unless a resident wishes to pay a higher fee for garbage pickup from a larger bin.

I wonder how most families will fare with the new reduced garbage bin size and a 50% reduction in pick ups, but the single pick up for "zone 10" in February is unreasonable. Does the City believe that at least one neighbourhood can forego even two pick ups on the very month that new garbage collection rules and reduced bin sizes are introduced? The first month should have the most leeway and not introduce a new garbage collection program that not only requires homes to adjust how they deal with garbage, but also greatly inconvenience them at the same time.

If you live in the City of Victoria and are unsure of what the new pick-up schedule is you can refer to the City's pick-up widget at http://www.victoria....n-schedule.html

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

Seems 3 times a week most months with the vocational twice a month for me. Once seems a bit... extreme.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

First world problems. I would hazard a guess that just by smart compacting everyone can reduce the volume of their waste by 50%.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Once in February is pretty brutal. I like to think I don't produce a lot of trash, but I would find that a bit tough.

A little OT: Can someone explain the rationale behind pushing garbage collection back a day after holidays instead of just skipping that day? It's really frustrating that ones garbage collection day changes almost monthly. I don't see how there is an advantage to doing it this way.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

A little OT: Can someone explain the rationale behind pushing garbage collection back a day after holidays instead of just skipping that day? It's really frustrating that ones garbage collection day changes almost monthly. I don't see how there is an advantage to doing it this way.

Lousy for homeowners that have Monday pick-ups.

Family Day
Easter (?)
Victoria Day
BC Day
Labour Day
Thanksgiving

...every year, plus years they get unlucky with the other stats. Ironic, the part of the year we produce most food and packaging garbage is X-mas, and that's the part of the year with the most sparse pick-up. Somehow we get by. Mike, there are private pick-ups you can order (and pay for) if you can't possibly contain your garbage within your property lines.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

^another VHF-made non-solution to a legitimate issue:)

Seems 3 times a week most months with the vocational twice a month for me. Once seems a bit... extreme.

Have you run your address through the City's online garbage collection schedule? According to the schedule my street has no garbage collection past January. Must be a bug.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Must be a bug.

Chinatown?

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

They're spreading.

Know it all.

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

^another VHF-made non-solution to a legitimate issue:)

Are you sure it's VHF, and not some imposter with a different avatar? :confused:

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

One redeeming quality of condo living is the big dumpster in the parking garage.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

The City has updated us via Twitter on what they plan to do for zones 6-10 (presumably zones 6-10 will only have one pick-up date for the month of February).

In Feb when the 10 zone system begins we will pick up extra bags of garbage from Zone 6-10 in Feb with no extra charge.

That's great that the City will pick up additional garbage for affected residents, but several weeks of accumulated garbage, plus organic waste rotting in the green bin, is not an ideal situation. This will likely be contentious once people who haven't quite realized there will only be one pickup for the month start piling up garbage.

Know it all.

#12 Hikermatt

Hikermatt
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Well that's a bit of a relief. Still don't understand why my landlord (I live in a basement suite) only decided to go with the 120L bin. Hardly feels like it will be enough for all of us.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

A 120L bin will be tight for homes with four or more people, no doubt about it. The larger bins cost an additional ~$20 a year but most people likely assumed that the 120L bin was whatever size most homes already had and there was no need to get the 180L.

Know it all.

#14 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

How much $$$ are the compostable bags that go from the small indoor bin to the outdoor bin. Will they reject it if I put my compost in a save on Foods bag?

#15 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

When you have private collection services the city can't dictate how often or how much they pick up, oh, and they don't go on strike.

I will stick with that thanks.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#16 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

How much $$$ are the compostable bags that go from the small indoor bin to the outdoor bin. Will they reject it if I put my compost in a save on Foods bag?

They won't accept any other bags. BUt you don't need to use bags.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

When you have private collection services the city can't dictate how often or how much they pick up, oh, and they don't go on strike.

I will stick with that thanks.

Yes, this is exactly the way it should be. Communism should come to an end. We are not all equal (in term of the waste each household creates).

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

They won't accept any other bags. BUt you don't need to use bags.

Phew...

So does every homeowner have a choice in how often and how much garbage is picked up, and each homeowner pays accordingly, or does the municipality simply contract out garbage collection with a set amount of monthly pick ups and volumes?

Know it all.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

So does every homeowner have a choice in how often and how much garbage is picked up, and each homeowner pays accordingly, or does the municipality simply contract out garbage collection with a set amount of monthly pick ups and volumes?

Owners of properties and their associated waste have absolute choice in garbage collection, the way it ought to be.

Langford:

Garbage & Recycling

Garbage Removal (residential) - The City of Langford does not provide garbage pickup in its tax base. Residential Waste Disposal is not a municipal service. Residents must make their own arrangements. The City of Langford advises that you look in the Yellow Pages under "Garbage Collectors" or "Rubbish Removal." You can make arrangements with the Waste Disposal companies listed there.

Metchosin:

Garbage and Recycling Services

Residents and businesses must arrange their own garbage collection service as this is not a service offered by the municipality. Check the yellow pages under Garbage Collection.

Sooke:

Garbage

The individual property owner is responsible for arranging for garbage pick-up and recycling. Garbage disposal and composting companies provide service contracts to residents and commercial operations. Check your local yellow pages for service providers.

I never hear anyone calling the radio talk-shows to complain about this ultimate user-pay system.

#20 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

It was a surprise, after living twenty years in Saanich, to move to Sooke and discover we had to pay for garbage pick-up.

There are two companies out here: Alpine Disposal, from Langford, and Sooke Disposal. I went with the local choice.

Twice monthly, or once-a-week, which costs about $21 per month.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users