Photo

City of Victoria garbage collection rules change in Feb 2013 - 50% fewer pick-ups, reduced bin size, introduction of separate food waste collection

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

I guess we can once again forego dragging garbage and green bins to the curb on garbage day in the City of Victoria.

Council reaffirms backyard pickup and approves fee hike to cover
By
http://openvictoria....fee-hike-cover/

By a narrow margin of 5-4, City Council chose to add $248,000 a year to the cost of collecting residential solid waste and organics and to maintain the backyard pickup service by city workers. The cost to homeowners will be an additional $20 a year.

In choosing this option, Council rejected the recommendation of city staff, which would have kept the fee increase to $6 a year and limit the added overall cost increase to $78,500. The saving would have come from the elimination of backyard pickup by city workers.

But after a lengthy debate that looked at practically every aspect of the current solid waste and organic disposal system, a small majority of Council was moved more by the fear of making life harder for senior citizens than by the added cost of maintaining backyard service. More.

Mayor Fortin sees nothing wrong with fee hikes because while fees escalate so do people's earnings, or so the mayor believes.

“Yes, $20 is an increase,” said Mayor Dean Fortin, “but each of us gets an increase in income each year as well.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

Mayor Fortin sees nothing wrong with fee hikes because while fees escalate so do people's earnings, or so the mayor believes...“Yes, $20 is an increase, but each of us gets an increase in income each year as well.”

We do???:mad:

#63 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

We do???:mad:

Of course, especially the senior citizens they're most concerned about...:squint:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#64 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Mayor Fortin sees nothing wrong with fee hikes because while fees escalate so do people's earnings, or so the mayor believes.

And this, in a nutshell, is the epitome of the contempt that the Mayor and his left-wing council cronies hold for the tax paying property owner. In his eyes, we are just a bottomless pit of money trees ripe for the pillaging.

#65 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

Well I certainly don't get a salary increase each year. I think I am going to move my garbage cans into my backyard just to get better value for my cost.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#66 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

If they're charging you for the service, take them up on it.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

Perhaps the comment is inclusive, as is each of "us" (City Hall workers and elected officials) gets an increase in income each year? ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users