City of Victoria councillors debate cat licensing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

On Monday morning I had an opportunity to speak as a guest on Councillor Lisa Helps', Eric Bramble's and Gene Miller's radio show dubbed the Lisa, Gene and Eric Show.

Just before we started recording Councillor Helps mentioned that council had spent the weekend debating among themselves via email on whether or not cat licensing was a good idea. Apparently a resident had written in with a request for consideration.

Is cat licensing really necessary?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

It does make some sense for cats that go outside. If you support dog licenses (I have no opinion on the matter), then what's the difference between a dog and an outside cat?

A purely indoor cat should probably be exempt, since that is more like a gerbil or some other random pet that people keep in their houses.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Money grab! No it isn't. Plus how would you deal with feral cats. We have some that hang out in our back yard, would I be fined for not licensing just because they happened to be caught near my house.

Also what would be the purpose in licensing an indoor cat?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Councillor Helps via Twitter just confirmed that the proposal has no traction and won't go anywhere. She also said this was brought up several years ago.

But as they say, the squeaky wheel...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

The one aspect of cat licencing that would be a benefit no one seems to have mentioned is getting more cats spayed and neutered.

Does anyone know the cost to the City/CRD/SPCA to deal with cats? That should be recovered somehow and licences seem like a reasonable way to do it.

#6 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

What problem is licensing supposed to solve, exactly? Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Does anyone know the cost to the City/CRD/SPCA to deal with cats? That should be recovered somehow and licences seem like a reasonable way to do it.

Why should responsible pet owners shoulder this cost?

Having said that, many people feel that anyone that has an "outdoor" cat is not a responsible pet owner. Their lives are much shorter on average. But more interesting I suppose.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

When you adopt a cat from the SPCA you sign a waiver agreeing to not allow the cat outdoors. I assume something similar needs to be signed when buying a cat from a breeder or pet shop?

I'm torn on this issue as I don't mind seeing cats hanging about but I also detest cleaning up after cats who view my yard as a dumping ground.

Know it all.

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Do you need a license for a CAT HOUSE?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users