Photo

What's going into Sampan's old location?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

I hear that a japanese restaurant (possibly Shiki) is going into Sampan's old location at Quadra and McKenzie. Has anyone else heard anything?

#2 VictoriaExplorer

VictoriaExplorer
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Wait, Sampan has closed? Or moved?

#3 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

The owners opened a Sampan Express where the Tim Hortons on McKenzie used to be (across the street), and I heard they were closing/have closed Sampan itself. I refer to these as "chinatown whispers" as rumours spread quickly amongst the Chinese community here, but I don't know how accurate the information is.

#4 WinterSport

WinterSport
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

The owners opened a Sampan Express where the Tim Hortons on McKenzie used to be (across the street), and I heard they were closing/have closed Sampan itself. I refer to these as "chinatown whispers" as rumours spread quickly amongst the Chinese community here, but I don't know how accurate the information is.

I was told they were not related? Again this is second hand information.

#5 VictoriaExplorer

VictoriaExplorer
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Drove by Sampan last night, and the lights are out.

And there's a note on the door. Closed as of February 20, with service being offered out of the Sampan Express across the road.

#6 VictoriaExplorer

VictoriaExplorer
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

Shiki Sishi is moving into this spot, expected to open early April.

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

I had been anticipating going to Sampan thinking "ooh! High end Chinese" but was only average. Good riddance to it. This will be good as there aren't really any decent sushi restaurants in this neighbourhood except that new one in University Heights.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

Shiki's signs are up now.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

I really like Olle Sushi at University Heights. Everything I've tried has been on par with most downtown sushi places and some offerings exceeded expectations.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

We tried Olle once and really enjoyed it too.

Shiki will have two locations now, yes? They are not abandoning their new space downtown, right?

#11 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

Sounds like I need to give Olle another try. We went a couple of months ago and thought it was just ok, but we had ordered Korean dishes, not japanese.

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

Average sushi, tired, old Sampan decor. Don't go out of your way.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#13 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

Sounds like I need to give Olle another try. We went a couple of months ago and thought it was just ok, but we had ordered Korean dishes, not japanese.

Olle shut down and is now a Taiwanese joint. Looks like they have beef noodle soup!  It's the first local Taiwanese place that I know of.

leeshouserestaurant.ca

Edited by goke, 30 June 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

Olle shut down? That's a shame.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

You can still get a good portion of their menu at their two other restaurants - Bon Sushi in Royal Oak (I'm the plaza, near Country grocer) and Oak Bay (on Monterey near Oak Bay Ave).

#16 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

Average sushi, tired, old Sampan decor. Don't go out of your way.

Closed down earlier this year. Still vacant.

#17 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:20 PM

Soooo Shiki has been out of this location for some time.

For Lease signs were up.

They are gone; windows are paper’d currently.

Any guesses?!? Momma wanna know!
  • Mike K. likes this

#18 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 06:53 PM

Happened to be in the neighborhood tonight and decided to grab the dinner for 4 from Sampan Express - it was great. Pricey but also very tasty. Our usual go-to for "Asian" is the Thai Green Elephant near us or the Szechuan restaurant on Caledonia, but we'll definitely hit up S-E again.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#19 Darren14

Darren14
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 10:21 PM

I find when you order ahead and get your meal made fresh its night and day compares to there express walk in quality. 

2nd favorite spot in town. Quality foods took over as number 1 last year. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users