Photo

Pennies and overages

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lumix

lumix
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Since pennies are now being phased out in Canada and stores are now able to round down or round up their prices (if they choose), and subsequently the change they give back to you, will many Canadian companies be recording overages???

i.e if something is priced $2.98 and you give $3.00, the company might not give you back any change... If this is true, what are those companies supposed to do with the extra money?

A place like Wal-Mart who does tons of transactions in a day, might be ending up with lots of extra money... Though, maybe I am misunderstanding how the penny phase out works.

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

In theory it should pretty much even-out, but in practice there could be significant differences.

#3 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

This could potentially happen, but since it amounts to a price increase I'm guessing people would catch on eventually and kick up a stink.

Speaking of which, there are a ton of interesting scenarios that arise from the elimination of the penny. For instance, if my direct deposit paycheck would be rounded up, could I potentially withdraw every one of my paychecks, get them rounded up, then redeposit them? I could potentially make an extra dollar on the year!

#4 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Rounding would occur only in cash transactions

#5 lumix

lumix
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

But if drt gets his paycheque cashed, he might be getting an extra few cents back from the bank if they do not supply pennies?

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

But if drt gets his paycheque cashed, he might be getting an extra few cents back from the bank if they do not supply pennies?

Or just go to the bank and withdraw $2.03 every day. See if they give ya $2.05 daily.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

I'll be rich!

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

i.e if something is priced $2.98 and you give $3.00, the company might not give you back any change... If this is true, what are those companies supposed to do with the extra money?

Only if you pay with cash. If you pay with your credit card it will still be $2.98.

#9 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Only if you pay with cash. If you pay with your credit card it will still be $2.98.

Unless they charge you an extra 3% (or more) to use a credit card.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

Unless they charge you an extra 3% (or more) to use a credit card.

Generally, companies are not permitted to do this, as per their agreement with credit card companies.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Generally, companies are not permitted to do this, as per their agreement with credit card companies.

That's all a changin. In the US merchants now have the right to do just that, I wouldn't want to be the first store to do it, but once one does they all will.

http://consumerist.c...card-customers/
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users