BUILT
The Argus
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 615-635 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 4
The Argus is a four storey mixed-use office and commercial building in the 600-block of Fort Street.

The bu... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Argus on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Argus | Office, commercial | 4-storeys; 17m | Built - completed in 2014

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#61 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

This is going up fast...

They better get a move on, the tenant moves in and doors open ready for the public in a little over 6 months.  At the current pace they are in trouble

#62 JasonE

JasonE
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Taken today. Onto the third floor...

Attached Images

• image (5).jpeg

#63 JasonE

JasonE
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

They better get a move on, the tenant moves in and doors open ready for the public in a little over 6 months.  At the current pace they are in trouble

Was talking to a worker today and they said that they are on pace to take the scaffolding down by August. Here's hoping!

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

Wow, that fast hey? I don't think we've ever seen a project move at this clip.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 JasonE

JasonE
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Tenants moving in mid-October

source: Alan Lowe

#66 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

It really doesn't take long to build a 4-floor shoe box. What a waste of prime downtown real estate. Based on this piece of blandness there's no fear of becoming Vancouver any time soon.  :whyme:

#67 JasonE

JasonE
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

It really doesn't take long to build a 4-floor shoe box. What a waste of prime downtown real estate. Based on this piece of blandness there's no fear of becoming Vancouver any time soon.  :whyme:

There was another proposal that council shot down. There was height restrictions and the requirement of needing a faux heritage facade. Don't really know what else you expected to go here. This block has been derelict since the old lens and shutter building came down 4 years ago. Thank go they're doing something. I think it's a fine addition to old town.

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

I think it's a fine addition to old town.

Ahh....Victoria...when a 4-storey shoebox is considered a "fine" addition.

#69 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

Ahh....Victoria...when a 4-storey shoebox is considered a "fine" addition.

Not everything needs to be a tower.

Quality infill projects are absolutely essential.

• jklymak likes this

#70 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

^I agree; anything taller would have made an awkward transition to Government Street. I reject calls for maximum height at any location.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#71 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

Quality infill projects are absolutely essential.

I agree...this project is hardly quality.

#72 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

I agree...this project is hardly quality.

Why is this building not high quality?

It's going to be concrete with zero setbacks. The renderings look like quality materials will be used, including brick. The ground floor shows a good interaction with the street. I think the three storefronts look great. Overall the Argus will work well with the Yarrow building and the Bay Center. 

I understand most of your qualms about underwhelming projects, but this one I just don't get. To me this is like the 947 Fort Street building. Nothing grand or spectacular, but a good addition nonetheless.

#73 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

Edited by HB, 21 November 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#74 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

In  a nutshell....It is much better than what it is replacing. No?

Absolutely, but the standard needs to be higher than better than a dirt lot! It is much better than the old Lens and Shutter building, that's for sure.

#75 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

It is replacing a couple of buildings that were literally ready for demolition. Considering the renderings have been quite utilitarian, I'll reserve judgement on design once it's finished.

If it's anything like 601 Herald I'll take a dozen of these in place of the one-storey garbage strewn along so many of our busy downtown streets.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#76 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

Edited by HB, 21 November 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

I walked through one of those buildings when previewing downtown offices. Trust me, to say that they were ready for the wrecking ball would be an understatement.

Know it all.

#78 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

The walls are going up on the fourth floor and the roof of the building can't be far behind. Must be on a pretty tight timeline to have occupancy in ~4 months.

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

The-Argus-June-23-2014.jpg

The-Argus-June-23-2014b.jpg

Know it all.

#80 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

The reason this isn't at least 5 floors is why again? :confused:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users