BUILT
The Argus
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 615-635 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 4
The Argus is a four storey mixed-use office and commercial building in the 600-block of Fort Street.

The bu... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Argus on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Argus | Office, commercial | 4-storeys; 17m | Built - completed in 2014

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#121 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

Edited by HB, 21 November 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#122 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:52 AM

I suppose. I will go by today but pic makes it look like a bland version of the mall. We sure lost out when the City killed that last project here.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#123 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

The city saved us from another tower.  The rentals at 6 stories would have absolutely overshadowed the 6 story building next door!

Also not liking the facade on this.  Looks very flat, cheap, and bay-centre-esq.  Which is odd because the rendering looked ok.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

It was a five storey rental proposal. Six would have destroyed Old Town as we know it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:26 PM

Here are a couple more photos. The bridge doesn't look too too bad in person. I'll await final judgement for when the ground floor is completed.

Argus-September-15-2014c.jpg

Argus-September-15-2014b.jpg

Argus-September-15-2014a.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#126 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

It would be a nice office building in Vernon.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#127 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:12 PM

#128 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:33 AM

That's dissapointing. Better windows would have made a world of difference.

#129 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

Everyone here forgets there is little demand for office space in Victoria right now.  When Midtown Court completes shortly there will be 4.5 of the 6 floors empty.  3 complete floors in the CIBC tower have been vacant for several years

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:42 AM

The CIBC is a dinosaur with crazy high lease rates.

Office is doing well. Boardwalk at Selkirk is fully leased, Argus is fully leased, and crap but expensive inventory is finally able to sit empty (as it should) as tenants look elsewhere. The Midtown Court project is in a bad location for office space but it's built with a secondary purpose and will eventually pay off.

Meanwhile Jawl is moving forward on 1515 soon and Capital Park in James Bay is more like a build-to-suit for the province which means it will be occupied once built. All's good :)

Know it all.

#131 zachduck

zachduck
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

Wow, this is shockingly mediocre and totally out of place.  I am very surprised that this was allowed to be built.  I'll have to wait to see it to make a final verdict but this looks like a major mistake.  The windows are awful.

#132 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

Everyone here forgets there is little demand for office space in Victoria right now.  When Midtown Court completes shortly there will be 4.5 of the 6 floors empty.  3 complete floors in the CIBC tower have been vacant for several years

Its true and I heard that Colliers, who is currently in the CIBC building, will be moving to 1515 Douglas. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#133 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

Its true and I heard that Colliers, who is currently in the CIBC building, will be moving to 1515 Douglas. 

All this tells me is that whoever owns the CIBC building needs to up their game.

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

Wow, this is shockingly mediocre and totally out of place.  I am very surprised that this was allowed to be built.  I'll have to wait to see it to make a final verdict but this looks like a major mistake.  The windows are awful.

Let's hope the ground floor changes that. It still remains to be fully outfitted with exterior materials.

You don't say. Well then that will bring the CIBC tower to nearly 50% empty.

Last year a long-time government tenant vacated the tower and moved out to Selkirk Waterfront. Downtown Victoria has lost a substantial amount of workers to Selkirk, but at least that still in the City of Victoria.

Know it all.

#135 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

Let's hope the ground floor changes that. It still remains to be fully outfitted with exterior materials.

You don't say. Well then that will bring the CIBC tower to nearly 50% empty.

Last year a long-time government tenant vacated the tower and moved out to Selkirk Waterfront. Downtown Victoria has lost a substantial amount of workers to Selkirk, but at least that still in the City of Victoria.

Was is bcIMC?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#136 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

Was is bcIMC?

Land&Water BC used to be in there, so my guess would be MoE or MoFLNRO.

#137 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

I'm not 100% sure which ministry it was but I will ask.

Know it all.

#138 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:39 PM

The CIBC is a dinosaur with crazy high lease rates.

Office is doing well. Boardwalk at Selkirk is fully leased, Argus is fully leased, and crap but expensive inventory is finally able to sit empty (as it should) as tenants look elsewhere. The Midtown Court project is in a bad location for office space but it's built with a secondary purpose and will eventually pay off.

Meanwhile Jawl is moving forward on 1515 soon and Capital Park in James Bay is more like a build-to-suit for the province which means it will be occupied once built. All's good :)

New office for the government is a false economy.  Besides its not even worth my time trying to compete against the Jawls for the provincial government

Office in the private sector, the real economy, is doing very poorly

#139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

Well that's true, but government office has been Victoria's bread and butter for time immemorial.

So long as government keeps on leasing we'll be in good shape. But if the rumour mill is right and Christy really is creating government work opportunities outside of Victoria while government job growth in the capital flatlines then we could be in trouble over the medium term.

Know it all.

#140 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:30 PM

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users