Photo

CRD Regional Growth Strategy and the urban containment boundary

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 citycitizen

citycitizen
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:00 PM

I think the CRD got duped. The value of metro quest’s visioning tool was about as useful as some of the comments that were made. The evening seemed oddly familiar to a turn of the century public fair complete with snake oil merchant, a machine that predicts the future and a captivated crowd awed at its prophecies. I tend to question the value of public input after a night like that. Oh well, it was quite flashy software and I did come away with the impression that the CRD did want my input.

#22 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

The Regional Growth Strategy has been highly successful to date. As a home owner, I would like to see it extended.

The lack of progress in the past 2 years, as shown in the this graph, demonstrates the need for further action:

#23 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

Well, I chose my godson's birthday dinner over the CRD meeting (hands down) Now I'm very glad. Thanks for the updates Bernard. And for the link to Metroquest.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#24 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:55 PM

Hey this Metroquest thing is really fun, actually.

I got a A in Costs and Taxes, a B in Environment, a D in Suburban lifestyle, an A in Urban Lifestyle and an A in Travel Options. I like the little population map they present at the end based on your choices.

What about you guys? Post your grades.
:D
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#25 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

Hey this Metroquest thing is really fun, actually.

I got a A in Costs and Taxes, a B in Environment, a D in Suburban lifestyle, an A in Urban Lifestyle and an A in Travel Options. I like the little population map they present at the end based on your choices.

What about you guys? Post your grades.
:D

exact same as you!

#26 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:03 PM

There is a VERY narrow range of where you can end up. It feels more like an education tool to me than any sort of real planning tool.

There are assumptions behind the outcomes that I would like to know more about and how they would apply to this region. Certain shifts in commercial and industrial areas could have a huge impact on the region than the scenarios presented in the MetroQuest thing.

#27 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:12 PM

I agree, it's like a boiled down Urban Geography 101 class, dressed up in a flash skin that makes it accessible to the average citizen, and easy to understand the concepts. The boxes on the bottom right flesh out a lot of the concepts and principles behind the results. That's why I like it.

#28 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

ABDAA for me, too.
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#29 Dennis Carlsen

Dennis Carlsen
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:59 AM

There was a lot of money and effort put into the last Regional Growth Strategy but I don't think there was much buy in from the municipalities and even less from the public. It's unfortunate that the CRD meeting was shanghied by "off the leash" interest groups. This is a time where a regional approach is more important than ever in terms of transportation, housing and the economy. Rather than clicking on boxes in a software program regarding motherhood statements it would be more interesting to tease out peoples attitudes. When Sidney did their OCP people supported affordable housing but opposed increased density. I would be more interested in seeing the CRD ask the question "are you feeling lucky" so nothing needs to change or do you think the future is going to be different and if so what are you prepared to accept.

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:12 AM

I think these sessions would be more productive if you chose the model that was used for public input into voting reform. Pick a few dozen purely random citizens like for jury duty. Give them a brief rundown of planning principles and then see what happens. I have a lot of trust in that model.

Then you won't have the gang of usual suspects that always hijack these sessions.

But you will probably still be dealing with people who are enthusiastic about eco-density, transportation upgrades etc..."as long as it's not on my street and it doesn't affect my taxes".
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

When Sidney did their OCP people supported affordable housing but opposed increased density. I would be more interested in seeing the CRD ask the question "are you feeling lucky" so nothing needs to change or do you think the future is going to be different and if so what are you prepared to accept.

Well there is the problem right there. Because of stupid politicians, people think affordable housing is created by taxing us and hand-picking some tenants for subsidized housing here and there. People cry about the lack of "affordable housing", they bemoan the fact that their kids can't buy here, but they are 1) dead-set against anything at all that might lower their own property values and B) don't want more traffic or density. Well, those goals are not both achievable.

#32 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

Oak Bay mayor Nils Jensen has been elected as new chair of the CRD Board.

Jensen takes over from former Central Saanich mayor Alastair Bryson on a one-year term.
Southern Gulf Islands electoral area director Dave Howe has been elected vice-chair.
Jensen will now consult with directors to help determine their area of strength.
Standing committee chairs and vice-chairs will be announced at or before the CRD Board's next meeting on January 14.

#33 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:46 AM

I'm sure he's very competent, but should we be worried that the Chair of the CRD is against amalgamation?

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:12 AM

I'm sure he's very competent, but should we be worried that the Chair of the CRD is against amalgamation?

Anti-amalgamation is the CRD's lifeblood.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:30 PM

And that probably weighed the most on their decision to install Jensen. Anti-amalgamation and not an anti-CRD-sewage-boondoggle superhero.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#36 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:32 PM

CRD Musical Chairs

The new Chair of the Capital Regional Board has made changes in some of the key committee appointments.

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps remains as Chair of the sewage committee, and North Saanich Mayor Alice Finall retains her role as chair of Planning and Transportation.

Susan Brice is moved  from Parks to a Transportation Select Committee; and Mike Hicks becomes Chair of Regional Parks. 
Vic Derman replaces Judy Brownoff as Chair of the Environment Committee; and Dave Howe remains Chair of Finance. 
Barb Desjardins was elected Board Chair in December.

#37 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

Some odd musings from today's T-C editorial

...[growth] strategy will tighten the screws in ways that, over time, might change the character of Victoria. Certainly we will see an acceleration of new high-rise buildings in the city core.... part of Victoria’s charm is that it has, so far, avoided the clutter and noise of larger cities. The urban core still recalls memories of a more sedate and tranquil era. Whether that can be maintained if housing densities are driven ever higher is an open question...

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.HOePXgXp.dpuf

Enough with Victoria's "charm" already. Cities grow and cities change. Victoria isn't a museum piece that can, or should, be frozen in some mythical "sedate and tranquil era" forever. The sooner we collectively come to accept that Victoria is part of the real world, the sooner we can properly begin to manage growth in our region.

• SusanJones likes this

#38 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:48 AM

sedate and tranquil eh? maybe immediately after they inject. but once the high is over and they run out of dope they get pretty agressive. We are talking about heroin right?

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:02 AM

If Victoria's past was "sedate & tranquil", I suppose it is now "sedated & tranquillized".

#40 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:10 PM

...part of Victoria’s charm is that it has, so far, avoided the clutter and noise of larger cities. The urban core still recalls memories of a more sedate and tranquil era.

We've talked about this before and I really think this notion is completely backwards. Victoria isn't a big small town, it's a small big city.

Why else would the clutter and noise of larger cities even be a topic for discussion? Victoria ISN'T a larger city, right? If Victoria isn't a larger city then it should lack the clutter and noise of larger cities simply by default, right? So why are we always talking about this, year after year after year?

Victoria does indeed have much of the clutter and noise of larger cities (heck, travel reviews suggest that Victoria is noisier than many larger cities). What do you know? Historic photos and films show that Victoria has always had much of the clutter and noise of larger cities. Maybe even more clutter and noise in the past than today.

Victoria's unique charm is all about the large & old downtown and the dense core neighbourhoods and the constrained (west coast) island setting. As Victoria slowly but surely becomes more dense it only develops and enhances its unique flavour that much more. Victoria sure isn't Kamloops or Kelowna or Regina or Kingston. It just boggles my mind that in the year 2016 we're still confused about this.

11142772813_b1178fc2df_k.jpg

pic from https://www.flickr.c...tor/11142772813

• Nparker, Matt R. and SusanJones like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users