Photo

CRD Regional Growth Strategy and the urban containment boundary

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:14 PM

Other cities Victoria's size or smaller are constantly trying to emulate larger cities. Most of the time they're also failing badly at it. Victoria is the only city I know of that works so hard to combat its own nature and its own potential.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#42 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:25 PM

I  have always thought that clutter could be a little noisier than it is. On the other hand some of the noise doesn't quite cut it when it comes to being cluttery.

I think Victorias city fathers and mothers need to spend less time on physics of a parking space and more time on taking noise and clutter to the next level, as our credibility is at stake.

#43 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:30 PM

Are you talking about cluttery or cutlery? Maybe you should put a fork in it. Some people can dish it out but they can't stake it.

#44 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:35 PM

...Some people can dish it out but they can't stake it.

Or do you mean "steak it"?

#45 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:08 PM

Are you talking about cluttery or cutlery? 

Yes, noisy cutlery used by noisy CRD folks who chew with their mouth open while talking about a regional growth strategy. 

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:58 AM

You just can't make this stuff up folks

...The proposed strategy would prevent the growth of the urban area outward, and confine it to upward and inward developments. In other words, it is intended to make our city more densely populated. The harmful effects of infill development and densification are notorious. More people added to the same confined space will mean increased motor vehicle traffic and congestion, reduction and elimination of available on-street parking, increased noise, loss of green space, a reduction in the quality of our neighbourhoods and increased crime...

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.AFpFHi62.dpuf

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:09 AM

Same writer, live on Bowker, by the way:

The harm caused by densification is obvious in areas like Kitsilano, Fairfield, and the Western Communities.  Anyone who has experienced those areas has seen, among other things, streets choked with traffic and curbs lined with parked cars.

If suites were allowed, we could see another car on the street for every adult living in that suite. A homeowner having to walk a block from her parked car to her home  on  a cold, windy, rainy, winter night because there is no other parking available on the street will become a reality in Oak Bay if suites are allowed.

http://www.vicnews.c.../248427151.html

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:11 AM

^ In the above case, doesn't the "homeowner" have a driveway?  Or is it full with their 3 cars?

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Today:

Saanich planners are recommending the municipality’s councillors reject an amendment to the regional growth strategy that is necessary for a land swap between Langford, Metchosin and the Beecher Bay First Nation to go through.

“A Saanich elected official should have no say in what happens 20 kilometres away,” Langford Mayor Stew Young said. “This thing is so bloody ridiculous. … It’s just more evidence that the regional governance system and growth strategy do not work.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.2U0J2QB7.dpuf

#50 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

to make our city more densely populated. The harmful effects of infill development and densification are notorious. 

vs.

Saanich planners are recommending the municipality’s councillors reject an amendment to the regional growth strategy that is necessary for a land swap between Langford, Metchosin and the Beecher Bay First Nation to go through.

Seems like we can't make up our minds......

http://www.timescolo...block-1.4840347

The whole "biketoria" and "healthy walkable communities" is based on living where you work.  So you have a choice;

A) centralize the current population base into town by virtually eliminating building height restrictions downtown.

or

B) promote services and job creation in the areas where people live.

You can't simply say no to everything and somehow hope the issues goes away.  

Do the "Saanich Planners" know that the population of the Westshore is now the same as the CoV? Since they seem fit to block the land swap, what is their plan to support this population base?  Is it "a bike lane on Shelborne?".  Is the master Saanich city plan to bottleneck Saanich neighbourhoods with traffic so those living there need to sit in their cars for an hour in an attempt to get to their driveways?

If they're successful, there is nothing stopping Beacher Bay FN from developing their parcels as residential, since they are exempt from following the regional growth strategy.

• Nparker and http like this

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:14 AM

If they're successful, there is nothing stopping Beacher Bay FN from developing their parcels as residential, since they are exempt from following the regional growth strategy.

Except that people do not generally like "buying" on reserve lands.

#52 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

Their rules can change overnight and make it difficult to sell if you want to get out.

#53 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:41 AM

There are quite a significant number of folks who live in the mobile home communities adjacent to the Pat Bay Highway in Central Saanich.

FN housing.JPG

I believe this is all or mostly reservation land. I am not sure what the ownership model is. Perhaps the residents own the buildings on land leased from the FN.

#54 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:42 AM

Given the market, I think they would sell if priced right.  Then you have hundreds of other families having to drive to work thanks to Saanich city planners.

#55 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

There are quite a significant number of folks who live in the mobile home communities adjacent to the Pat Bay Highway in Central Saanich.

I believe this is all or mostly reservation land. I am not sure what the ownership model is. Perhaps the residents own the buildings on land leased from the FN.

While over on the mainland in a great spot, the whole Park Royal area is FN..... 

Edited by On the Level, 18 December 2016 - 11:43 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:04 PM

Oh ya, it happens.  But there is lots less than you might think.  

#57 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:57 PM

I knew someone that lived in that community back in the late 90's  and it took them over two years to eventually sell at a loss.

#58 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:51 PM

^Well if you are in a mobile home park paying pad rental you are always going to sell at a loss. If it is on Indian land you can't own the property you can just lease it.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:55 PM

^Well if you are in a mobile home park paying pad rental you are always going to sell at a loss. If it is on Indian land you can't own the property you can just lease it.

That's why a lot are "mobile homes" the potential displacement can be mitigated a bit by you being able to pay a huge piece of cash to move.  But there are also leasehold regular homes, and they sell poorly, when compared with homes of equal size/amenities off-reserve.

#60 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:01 PM

^Absolutely! Look at the roaring success Spirit Bay was/is. Been going for years and they have maybe a half dozen houses built. If this was off reserve land the place would be completely built out in months.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users