Photo
- - - - -

Jubilee Pharmacy opening at 851 Johnson St.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

http://revictoria.co...851 Johnson St/

Once home to Fabricland then a carpet store
Soon it will be Jubilee Pharmacy

For those who are not familiar with this location it is near the corner of Quadra St on the south side of Johnson

#2 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Was just in the store yesterday and they have done a great job, for those not familiar with Jubilee Pharmacy - they stock alot of food and natural products as well. We have been shopping at the other location for a while now, their prices (as I noted yesterday) are better than the Market and London drugs.

Really happy to see another retailer in this area, I hope they can make a good go of it....

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Nice.

The Jubilee Pharmacy also has a lot of ethnic foods at decent prices.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

This sounds great! A lot of people really love that place. I wonder if they have any dedicated parking in the adjacent lot, that would sure help them. I will go check them out tomorrow...
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

This sounds great! A lot of people really love that place. I wonder if they have any dedicated parking in the adjacent lot, that would sure help them. I will go check them out tomorrow...

Yes, there are a few spots against their building in that pay lot.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

Yes, there are a few spots against their building in that pay lot.

So right off the bat, for folks leaving work esp., they might have an edge over the Market and London Drugs parking situations.

Easy-in, easy-out.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

Had a chance to drop in today, and was even given a tour by the manager, Rhea, and had a chance to meet the owner too.

The place is much bigger than I imagined/remembered.

So as mentioned earlier here, they do have some wicked good deals on food. This is a lot because they make very large buys on special lots - so while that means great deals on food products they are selling today, you might not see that item in again next time your shop. But, you will hopefully find something all new to surprise you with the low price. I hope I said that right.

They have LOTS of gluten-free stuff, not just a section, but throughout the items.

They way they have their health and beauty products set up (like hair products etc.), the bottom 30 or 50% of each shelf is your standard products and brands, but the upper shelves are all-natural.

Oh, and the whole front corner, left of the entry is a coffee shop.

Coffee shop goodies:

Coffee shop, left:

Coffee shop:

All the furniture is made from recycled pallets.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

Food...

#9 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Looks kind of cool...thanks for sharing!

#10 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

They have some very nice prices on prepared Indian sauces and the like- jars were $2.99 vs $4.99 in other stores.. I also spied 1l dark maple syrup for $20 which is tough to find and cheap too.
They're going to have many problems with junkies though as that block is terrible. I heard a manager telling a clerk how to spot them and to keep them out. I wonder if they will be distributing Methadone there?

#11 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

They're going to have many problems with junkies though as that block is terrible. I heard a manager telling a clerk how to spot them and to keep them out. I wonder if they will be distributing Methadone there?

That block is not terrible. I spend a lot of time in this 'hood and on this block in particular and I can tell you that things have gotten a lot better. I haven't seen somebody actively shooting up or smoking crack in years, which used to be quite common.

Reputable businesses like this only help to further clean up this area and shed some of that reputation that has developed over the years.

Keep in mind that this block has a brand new condo building and a new office building. Is it Oak Bay? No, and thank goodness for that, but it is really improved from what I think people think of when they think of Johnson and Pandora. I've heard a lot of the hard drug activity has moved north west of here. The key downtown is to get businesses into vacant spaces and get rid of dark corners that have a bit of privacy, like vacant doorways, dark alleys and parking lots.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

That block is not terrible. I spend a lot of time in this 'hood and on this block in particular and I can tell you that things have gotten a lot better. I haven't seen somebody actively shooting up or smoking crack in years, which used to be quite common.

Reputable businesses like this only help to further clean up this area and shed some of that reputation that has developed over the years.

Keep in mind that this block has a brand new condo building and a new office building. Is it Oak Bay? No, and thank goodness for that, but it is really improved from what I think people think of when they think of Johnson and Pandora. I've heard a lot of the hard drug activity has moved north west of here. The key downtown is to get businesses into vacant spaces and get rid of dark corners that have a bit of privacy, like vacant doorways, dark alleys and parking lots.

I agree, I walk that block at least a few times a week, it's fine.

#13 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

Yeah that block has the 834 and Atrium on it and a whole bunch of the "street issues" in that area have been pulled to Ellice st.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users