The Victoria emergency (fire/ambulance) services thread

• Please log in to reply
2560 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

About a month ago I was walking across the bridge when I realized some kids were up there urinating onto vehicles (and thanks to the wind, pedestrians). Not cool. Really with the number of people who climb this bridge at night and likely under the influence of alcohol or drugs a deadly fall was bound to happen.

This would not be the first, would it?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

They really did not have to climb they could have just found someone with a key :)
  • HB likes this

#83 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Terrible that someone died if he fell in the water he would have at least had a better chance at survival
Climbing any structure without experience guidance and safety in mind is extremely dangerous add drugs or booze to the equation and it could be deadly as we see here

I have climbed many places and know from experience that you have to always be aware if surroundings and always looming ahead and behind to plan your next step if you don't it could be your last step

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

I've never heard of anyone falling from the top of the bridge and dying, so this is likely the only accidental death (not suicide) in many, many years. I could be wrong though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

Terrible that someone died if he fell in the water he would have at least had a better chance at survival
Climbing any structure without experience guidance and safety in mind is extremely dangerous add drugs or booze to the equation and it could be deadly as we see here

I think most falls into water from above 40 feet or so are generally fatal.  High-divers with perfect technique can do higher.  World record 177 feet.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#86 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

What's the height from the top of the bridge to the surface of the water?

At 20 meters, an 80kg person would be traveling over 70km/h.  

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

Police now say that others in the group, that were also climbing the structure, were significantly intoxicated.

#88 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

What's the height from the top of the bridge to the surface of the water?

At 20 meters, an 80kg person would be traveling over 70km/h.  

Uh, so would a 10kg person, discounting for air friction.

#89 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

Uh, so would a 10kg person, discounting for air friction.

Thanks Isaac.

#90 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

Police now say that others in the group, that were also climbing the structure, were significantly intoxicated.

Any further details on the age of the deceased?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#91 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

I had a friend drunk climbing the bridge years ago who fell off but she landed on a lower girder rather than the water and only cracked a rib.  I don't know why people do these things, it requires poor judgment way beyond just the effects of booze.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#92 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

I did a quick search of the TC archives and in addition to the above incident there were a few others. A woman hanging out her washing to dry on the bridge attributed her variation from the horizontal to be due to the prevailing wind. The bridge was half-way up when bystanders alerted the operator. One young man on bicycle was hit by a car, fell, and died on the bridge. Another time, two boys were playing under the deck's girders and one fell into the harbour and was rescued by a harbour ferry. Other incidents included attempted suicides but I couldn't find any report of death by falling.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#93 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

I couldn't find the VV video taken from the top of the bridge, but I did find...

The Wardells "Under The Johnson St Bridge"  

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rd2of2afgxY

• sebberry likes this

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

Oh my! This does not look very good. Photo: Laura D Jensen

✪ BREAKING NEWS: 

We are receiving word that a vehicle has crashed into the storefront of the Thrifty Foods at Quadra and McKenzie, and as many as three people might be injured. 

Shoot us a photo if you are near the scene.

1463077_701327579886917_2039651821_n.jpg

#95 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

That's not gone well.  Hopefully nobody seriously hurt. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

Saanich Police have now indicated the vehicle was registered to an "elderly driver" but they have not yet confirmed the registered owner was behind the wheel at the time of the crash.

Man, they coulda hit almost anywhere along there and been stopped by planters or the cart rack, but no, they hit the bullseye, right through the door.

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

Puts the car into drive thinking its in reverse, looks behind him or her, floors the gas, goes through the door and takes out a couple of suburbanites and a chihuahua. Why oh why do we continue to allow elderly individuals to continue driving?

Know it all.

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Puts the car into drive thinking its in reverse, looks behind him or her, floors the gas, goes through the door and takes out a couple of suburbanites and a chihuahua. Why oh why do we continue to allow elderly individuals to continue driving?

75 year old female, no serious injuries.

#99 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

75 year old female, no serious injuries.

Thankfully.

Now she can trade her old Forester in for one that has EyeSight 

http://youtu.be/gRbffo_62DE?t=5m13s

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

Something tells me her kids will be figuring out which one of their teenaged sons or daughters will get the drive grandma's car from here on out.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users