Photo

The Victoria emergency (fire/ambulance) services thread

• Please log in to reply
2560 replies to this topic

#1501 satellite

satellite
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:58 PM

They spend a disproportionate amount of their day idle compared to ambulance or police. Ambulance particularly needs more support. 

• Rob Randall, David Bratzer and pennymurphy2000 like this

#1502 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:24 PM

They spend a disproportionate amount of their day idle compared to ambulance or police. Ambulance particularly needs more support. 

In the case of policing, part of their otherwise non-responding idle work is literally to patrol the streets. Generally speaking, it would not be cost effective, nor would it have the same effect, for firefighters to take the same "patrol the streets" approach when not responding to a call.

Absolutely I agree than paramedics are underpaid, but they are also hamstrung by the way our health system works in Canada. Firefighters and most police are often better compensated simply because they are under municipal pay structures, so there is a lot more competition and therefore escalation of salaries. That versus a single employer in BC for paramedics, not to mention other bargaining issues, and you end up with paramedics as this sort of second class of first responder.

To say though that career firefighters spend most of their days sitting around at the station though is totally false, especially in a place like Victoria, and especially with the paramedic shortages that we see in BC. Perhaps this is more true in a smaller career municipalities like Colwood or View Royal, but definitely not Victoria.

#1503 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:56 PM

Fireman - the only job that pays you to sleep.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1504 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:16 PM

Firemen, like insurance, are the kind of thing you really miss and regret not spending money on when you need them.

• sebberry and shoeflack like this

#1505 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:27 PM

In many cases the first on the scene when you call 911 is the fire department...speaking from experience. 

#1506 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:34 PM

In many cases the first on the scene when you call 911 is the fire department...speaking from experience. 

That's because they have had over 100 years to establish a funding base.   BCEHS was formed after difficulty in a mix of non profits, private industry and the municipal fire service to supply service.    Being on Ambulance in the Fire Dept was seen as punishment or a junior spot...speaking from experience.

When you called for an ambulance...you shouldn't have to wonder if anyone will show up period.  After gaps of service in Burnaby in the early 1970s, the political fallout formed BCEHS.   

If they decided to consolidate Ambulances in every fire department then you would see an explosion of Ambulances, and no need to fire trucks to be showing up at a medical call.  You would also see a corresponding explosion in your municipal taxes.   Get rid of BCEHS, who would run the Air Ambulance Service, ALS, and High Risk Infant Transport teams?

#1507 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:15 AM

I think I'm biased towards Fire services responding by my exposure to Emergency! in my youth.

https://youtu.be/mMo3rvYKRWI

• Rob Randall, RoadRunner and On the Level like this

#1508 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:05 AM

Lol!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1509 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:37 AM

At first I thought the Coast Guard hovercraft was headed into Point Hope for a refurb. It kept going up the Gorge at a leisurely pace so not sure it is an emergency either.

Attached Images

• IMG_20180912_122202.jpg
  • IMG_20180912_122802.jpg

#1510 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:46 PM

^So much for a nice, peaceful Gorge!  Holy Guacamole are those hovercraft loud!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1511 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:11 PM

^So much for a nice, peaceful Gorge!  Holy Guacamole are those hovercraft loud!

It might be more peaceful if the Coast guard hauled away some of those Gorge boats in their cargo area.

siyay-hovercraft.jpg

#1512 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:58 AM

A hiker has fallen from Lone Tree Hill in the Highlands. Crews are now scaling up the hill to meet with the party and locate the fallen individual. Reports indicate the individual fell from the top.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1513 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:32 PM

A hiker has fallen from Lone Tree Hill in the Highlands. Crews are now scaling up the hill to meet with the party and locate the fallen individual. Reports indicate the individual fell from the top.

Not likely to be a good landing.

#1514 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:38 PM

An experienced elderly hiker was injured but rescued after falling down a rockface at Lone Tree Hill Regional Park in Highlands.

“we’ve got moss and wet rocks… take extra time and be observant to the area you are in.” Said Highland fire deputy Gregg Fletcher.

https://www.cheknews...lstream-511200/

#1515 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:45 PM

Intoxicated man dies after falling from Johnson Street Bridge

Victoria BC – Multiple officers attended the Johnson Street Bridge early this morning after a man fell off the bridge.

VicPD received multiple 911 calls just after 1:30 a.m. after an intoxicated man was seen losing his balance after climbing on a railing and failing into the water below. Several people attempted to give direction to the man to swim to safety.

Several VicPD officers attended within two minutes of the 911 call and attempted to assist the man but were unsuccessful, with one officer suffering minor, non-life threatening injuries. VicPD called the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre for assistance as VicPD does not have a marine response capability.  A Canadian Coast Guard boat was dispatched and recovered the man's body with assistance of VicPD officers.

The file has been handed over to the BC Coroner Service.

Our thoughts are with the man’s family during this difficult time.

Know it all.

#1516 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 02:47 PM

One thing I have noticed with our new bridge is that it is extremely easy to climb it. It has nothing blocking anyone from just hoping on it and walking right up the bridge. The railings are fine though.

This unfortunately boils down to a case of poor choice while being intoxicated. 

R.I.P. whoever he was.

#1517 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:30 PM

I recall some insightful posters on this very board noticed that same thing back when all we had to look at were illustrations of the future bridge.

VicPD does not have a marine response capability...

They used to have this boat. No more?

VictoriaBC007.jpg

pic from http://policecanada..../bc/victoriapd/

• Kilo95 likes this

#1518 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:31 PM

I'm surprised there are no life jackets or life rings stationed anywhere on the bridge.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#1519 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:33 PM

I recall some insightful posters on this very board noticed that same thing back when all we had to look at were illustrations of the future bridge.

They used to have this boat. No more?

VictoriaBC007.jpg

pic from http://policecanada..../bc/victoriapd/

Believe the Marine Unit was disbanded and boat(s) transferred to Victoria Fire.

#1520 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 04:49 PM

Believe the Marine Unit was disbanded and boat(s) transferred to Victoria Fire.

That's border line shocking to me given the outer, inner and much of the upper harbour falls within Vic PD jurisdiction. Most other 'marine' cities in my experience have very active water borne police units. I'm surprised we not only don't have one but also that its not patrolling on a routine basis given the volume of air and sea traffic in the region. Budget cutting measure?

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users