Photo

Google

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Anyone else having trouble logging on to Google today?

#2 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

YES!!!! My computer keeps saying a DNS error?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Yes; it looks like Shaw is having trouble with one of their upstream providors. I should probably avoid voicing my suspicions.

So thankful to have an accessible proxy I can go through! Bing & Yahoo don't quite cut it when it comes to search engines.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

This is why I have yet to adopt any of the cloud based services as my primary way of storing files, emails, calendars, etc...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

It's a Shaw/Google issue, no problems where I am.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Shaw has announced that they're working on resolving the problem.

https://community.sh...a/message/27063

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Actually the DNS issue lies with Google, not Shaw; earlier there was a rumor they'd been hacked by persons unknown due to the CISPA legislation in the US. Alas it appears the issue is technical rather than malicious intent by the humans.....

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

It's not just Google, I've had other sites that have been painfully slow to load.

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

Shaw had major trouble today. Not just Google.

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

I think it was all the Google ads that were causing other sites to not load.

#11 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

Google is back at my place at just before 19:00 local time.

Withdrawal symptoms are slowly fading, I guess I'll leave that Valium in the jar. For now.

#12 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

I used bing to search for something, it was terrible and I decided to just wait until google came back and went and did something else.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:09 PM

Google salutes the 50th Anniversary of the "new" Canadian flag:

google.jpg

:thumbsup:

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,465 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:00 AM

A class action suit against Google is alleging the company has an extreme political bias, mistreats conservative employees (particularly white males) and targets conservative employees seeking jobs at other tech firms. That’s some heavy stuff if true.

I dunno, but here’s more: http://www.foxnews.c...vative-men.html

“Damore told Fox Business that Google still engages in “harassment and career sabotage of anyone that expresses a conservative viewpoint, and there’s constant shaming and attacks against white men within Silicon Valley.”

Damore is the fellow who published a memo last year outlining how the company shames employees with conservative views and targets them professionally.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

James Damore was the fellow fired by one of the biggest worlds biggest companies for writing a memo that was 100% factually correct based on current scientific literature. Let that sink in

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,465 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:09 AM

It was largely ignored by the mainstream press, but that memo was something else, for sure. And folks corroborated what he wrote so maybe there is an active bias against certain employees for no fault other than being white and holding centrist or right of centre political views.

If these allegations are substantiated in a court of law won’t that turn the progressive, all-inclusive and warm-hearted image pushed by these organizations on their heads?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:10 AM

Google's demographics certainly do not mirror the world's, but do any company?

In the US, they have a 56% white workforce, compared to a 77% white US demographics. I think that's pretty easily explained, though.

#18 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,002 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:21 AM

If these allegations are substantiated in a court of law won’t that turn the progressive, all-inclusive and warm-hearted image pushed by these organizations on their heads?

Why would it? The people who are pushing for a progressive, all-inclusive image aren't actually progressive and all-inclusive! What they really want is for the 'system' to favour them.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,465 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:32 AM

And if that’s outed in a court of law, won’t that be a bit of a mess to handle politically? Right now it’s just water cooler talk and as far as we know, some guy’s personal gripe against an ex employer. But if true?

Know it all.

#20 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,002 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

I don't think that anyone who has worked in the Valley in the past 5 years would doubt the accuracy of the claims although likely not to the scale that Damore claims.

With the rush for innovation a typical scenario would be that a company hires a 'world leader' in AI or auto tech, etc and they go and hire their own team of blonde hair, brown skinned or skirt wearing individuals that they have worked with in the past and trust. When someone complains to HR that there is discrimination or harassment then HR talks to the exec who smiles and nods and then goes to the CEO or President and asks if their team should be accepting the offer from Apple or Facebook. Those who continue to complain get fired and that is simply the cost of doing business.

Google is no different then anyone else at the moment, they are just higher profile.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users