Secret/private/non-public eateries

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

I would like to collect all known examples of restaurants, cafeterias and snack shops that are not normally open to the public.

The most famous example is probably the Legislative Dining Room in the Parliament Buildings, although all you need to do to take advantage of it is show your driver's license and obtain a pass. The other major one is the Union Club, where you have to be invited by a member.

But what interests me most are the ones most people don't know about, eateries that are closed off from the public. I remember one example from years ago was a large cafeteria that was on the upper floor in the Federal Building at Yates and Gov't if I remember correctly. I suspect many of the larger government office buildings may have some sort of cafe where you can purchase a meal (not just a lunchroom with vending machines).

Any other examples?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

There used to be a cafeteria on one of the upper floors of the Eric Martin Pavillion. Third floor, I think?

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

In its heyday, the Times Colonist had a big enough staff to command its own dining room, in the ground (slightly below-grade) floor. You paid cash, like any other cafeteria. Not sure what hours it ran, likely just days. A paper is a bit unique, in that it has business staff working regular days (accounting, sales etc.) but also some shift workers (dayside and nightside reporters etc.). Plus they had two production runs each day, one for the morning paper (printed at night) and one for the afternoon Times (printed very late morning) and their crews. I think it closed in the late 80's, replaced with vending machines. I dare say if you were in the building, you could probably use it with no pass or check, but it was not advertised, to say, people walking up Douglas.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

I'm guessing the forces base has lots of choices. I think we visited one on our tour a few years ago. It was pretty upscale.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

The Douglas Building also had a cafeteria. No idea if it's still there.

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

There used to be a cafeteria on one of the upper floors of the Eric Martin Pavillion. Third floor, I think?

That one is a little hard to access unless a person goes off their meds.

You can however wander in to the RJH cafeteria and dine on some excellent choices like week old porridge and limp salad soup.

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

The Douglas Building also had a cafeteria. No idea if it's still there.

That may have been the Federal cafeteria I remembered from long ago. I assume it's gone now that there are good public places along with government cutbacks.

This is not really a restaurant, more like a space with a kitchen, suitable for catering. It's the Odd Fellow's Hall on Douglas next to the 7-Eleven.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

^ Either they lend their chairs out a lot off-premise, or they are really afraid of theft from that place.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

^See, if your daughter is getting married, you rent a few of those chairs and put them in the front row where the men in the groom's family will sit.

#10 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

The Faculty Club up at UVic is private. I've dined there a couple times, invited by my thesis supervisor. We ordered, she signed a slip of paper. I assume it was billed to some sort of account. Very nice space.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

^Nice, I'd forgotten about the faculty club. I have been there, it's well maintained in a kind of 80s fashion. Bonus points for naming a facility that serves alcohol.

Say, wasn't there some sort of Victoria police social club upstairs off Government near Pembroke a few years ago?

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

Say, wasn't there some sort of Victoria police social club upstairs off Government near Pembroke a few years ago?

Yes, it's been long gone I think. Side door of the building that had Owen & Sons back in the day.

No food service, but the Castaways still have a clubhouse with alcohol on Discovery St. You can't go in unless with a member.

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

All masonic halls naturally including Freemason's Hall on Fisgard Street have a component of Lodge called the festive board which is the social component after the formality of any regular AFAM meeting. At the Fisgard St facility, which is very definitely closed to the public, on the uppermost floor there is a fully equipped kitchen and dining room where we can seat between 150-200 Craft members and/or guests for meals and good (cheap!) booze.

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

The former BCBC building on upper Blanshard near Saanich Rd. must have some sort of cafeteria. It has a fitness centre and separate daycare building.

I must give honorable mention to the CNIB kiosk on the grounds of the legislature. Although it didn't serve meals and was fully open to the public, its hidden location deserves to be noted. Is it still there?

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Sand's Funeral Home on Quadra has a commercial kitchen.

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

We should rank them with points:

1 point for catering facilty only (empty kitchen, eg: club or church basement)
2 points fully stocked kitchen
3 points for fixed menu and/or alcohol with special event permit
4 points for full service dining with cashier/server
5 points for the ultimate: dining room/cafeteria, regular hours, regular menu, alcohol served.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

I got us a cafeteria!

Cafeteria style Non-Profit Catering - believe me (VHF) anything more than a club house is risking you lunch coming back...

From a government employee at the old BC Systems building on (3500?) Seymour in Saanich.

#18 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

IIRC the old Bank of Montreal at Douglas/Yates had an employee cafeteria upstairs.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#19 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

I got us a cafeteria!

From a government employee at the old BC Systems building on (3500?) Seymour in Saanich.

4000 Seymour. It's a wonderful setting in an atrium, tables with umbrellas, it feels like being in Paris.

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Richard Blanshard building used to have one but it was taken out years ago.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users