Secret/private/non-public eateries

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

^I bet that's what's happened to a lot of them. Why buy a coffee trapped in a drab room with your co-workers when some of the city's best cafes are only 60 seconds away?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Might be unknown to some http://www.pacificfleetclub.com/

#23 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

The federal Pacific Forestry Centre (Natural Resources Canada, Canadian Forest Service) on west Burnside has a quite decent cafeteria. M-F lunch only, I believe, no booze, but it's open to the public.

#24 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

The federal Pacific Forestry Centre (Natural Resources Canada, Canadian Forest Service) on west Burnside has a quite decent cafeteria. M-F lunch only, I believe, no booze, but it's open to the public.

Good one geek, our team has eaten there often.

#25 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

Sand's Funeral Home on Quadra has a commercial kitchen.

People are dying to try their cuisine.

#26 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:06 AM

That brick building on Wikinson has a dining room in it. It also has a shower. It's open to the public if you rack up enough points on that driver's licence.

#27 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:09 AM

I believe the Empress still has a employee cafeteria in the basement.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#28 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

Dunlop House at Camosun Lansdowne is part of the culinary program. It is only open once a week during the term

#29 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

This is really old info, but there is/was a cafeteria at the Institute of Ocean Sciences out by the airport. I remember being told that it was partly staffed by chefs from the ships when they were in port, and that the food was really good (that being more important at sea when you don't have much else to look forward to???)

#30 Victoria_Missy

Victoria_Missy
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

The dining room in the Parliament buildings. This is a pretty spot on review of the place.

http://your-restaura...ne-amongst.html

#31 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Welcome to vibrantvictoria Victoria Missy.

#32 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

CFB Esquimalt has the Chief & Petty Officers' Mess and the Wardroom for officers. don't know what the plebs do.

#33 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

Not sure if this is the right category, but not a lot of people know about it. There is that little burger and fries greasy spoon right where U-Pak is at 878 Viewfield road. Never stopped there-was too wary. It once existed on Aldebury street in a little hole in the wall building. I have no idea how they survive-perhaps some staff from the area go there regularly?

#34 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

^ Hey if anyone has been there let me know. It does look interesting.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#35 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

oh ya - https://maps.google....xZJ_bw3Nb0myS0w

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

It's a cure for hangovers, that's for sure. I've been there on several occasions and have no complaints.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#37 Victoria_Missy

Victoria_Missy
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

Welcome to vibrantvictoria Victoria Missy.

Thanks Sparky! Happy to be here.

#38 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

Not sure if this is the right category, but not a lot of people know about it. There is that little burger and fries greasy spoon right where U-Pak is at 878 Viewfield road. Never stopped there-was too wary. It once existed on Aldebury street in a little hole in the wall building. I have no idea how they survive-perhaps some staff from the area go there regularly?

I worked around there about 7 years ago. It was run by a great couple who prepared awesome burgers, hot dogs and more. They even made their own veggie patties which even a meat-eater like me enjoyed (with a strip of bacon of course)

They sold it about 6 years ago and set up shop at Lake Cowichan, here: http://goo.gl/maps/UPmmT

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#39 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

The top floor of the Bay Ctr (not the food court) but in the Bay it self at the far west end has a pretty good cafeteria style restaurant with good hot lunches. Also, in the medical building at Cook and Pandora on the ground floor to the rear of the building there is a sweet little café with no more than 20 seats and pretty good food there. Finally, the Butterdell Restaurant across from Mayfair on Douglas and part of the Blue Ridge motel is good for a Rueben from time to time.
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#40 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

CFB Esquimalt has the Chief & Petty Officers' Mess and the Wardroom for officers. don't know what the plebs do.

They go to the Other Ranks mess.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users