Photo

Dockside Green Charging Station

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

I've become a big fan of the Victoria Car Share Co-Op since we moved to Victoria. Living in Vic West, and Dockside Green in particular, we are able to walk to most things. We're retired so our situation is not applicable for everyone. Occasionally we have found it useful to have a car, for instance picking relatives up at the airport, or picking up some new bar stools. The Victoria Car Share Co-Op is a great fit for our lifestyle and having two cars in front of our building is super convenient. Since I've been a member we've had a Honda hybrid and a diesel Smart Car. Never rented the Smart Car since we need space for people and things. I've heard rumors that the Smart Car is going to be replaced since it's not a good fit for car shares being a finicky diesel (at least this particular model). So what would be the replacement? A clue just appeared in the form of the installation of an electric charging station. Cool, now what's the car that will go along with it? Will this be the first electric car in their fleet?

#2 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'm betting Nissan Leaf. However seems like a bad idea for a car share. So the guy who booked before you ran the battery down, what do you do?

#3 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

A Chevy Volt would be a fine choice. Apparently the 2013 model advertises a combined electric + gas range of over 600 km, so wouldn't be any trouble for a car share.

#4 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

I'm betting Nissan Leaf. However seems like a bad idea for a car share. So the guy who booked before you ran the battery down, what do you do?

get a supercharger
http://www.teslamoto...om/supercharger

#5 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

A Chevy Volt would be a fine choice. Apparently the 2013 model advertises a combined electric + gas range of over 600 km, so wouldn't be any trouble for a car share.

Good point. That's probably more likely.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

A Chevy Volt is $42,000, a Leaf is $39,000.

$28,000 for a Jetta TDI with a range of 900+ KM on a tank of french fry grease.

get a supercharger
http://www.teslamoto...om/supercharger

Fast charging can degrade the life of the batteries depending on the chemistry and cell size so there are some risks to consider.

Besides, I prefer my superchargers under the hood ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

Or maybe nothing is coming:

Hello VCSC members,

Please be advised that the Victoria Car Share Co-op has sold the Vic West
Smart ForTwo.

The car has reached our standard retirement date, and will not be replaced
at this time.

While the Smart car was the most fuel efficient car in its class at the
time of purchase, members have found it to be less useful than larger
vehicles in the fleet that allow the transport of goods and passengers.

There may be a second car at Dockside Green in the future should there be
enough demand.

Regards,

VCSC Management

#8 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

Alright, so now I'm a bit confused. VCSC members just got an email that says the Dockside Green Smart Car has been retired and sold and that it will NOT be replaced. A second car may be added should there be enough demand. :confused:

Loosing the Smart Car may have just been a coincidence and the charging station may have been added by the City (Dockside Green has not made any announcement). I've asked the VCSC about it and hope to hear back next week.

#9 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Loosing the Smart Car may have just been a coincidence and the charging station may have been added by the City (Dockside Green has not made any announcement). I've asked the VCSC about it and hope to hear back next week.

The City did not install that as it's on private property.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Do you think it could be a pay-for-use service, i.e. VCSC provides the charging station and you pay for whatever power you use? Does the machine have a debit or credit card component, or requires some form of a user login?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

I seem to remember Dockside was pushing the "two Smart Fortwo" thing when it was being built. Did demand fall off if they're down to only one car now?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

So do co-op members get a rebate on the sale?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#13 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Do you think it could be a pay-for-use service, i.e. VCSC provides the charging station and you pay for whatever power you use? Does the machine have a debit or credit card component, or requires some form of a user login?

The credit card charges would be too much and not worth it. Generally you sign up for an access card, load your "bank" and be charged that way. The City EV chargers work that way but there is no fees associated with the station, but the card you get will unlock the station.

#14 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

I think this unit was installed by VanCity and is part of the ChargePoint network: http://www.chargepoint.com/home.php. The display says the unit is not activated and is locked so I don't think it's operational yet. It also does not show up on ChargePoint's web site, but their location map does show one at the Mayfair Mall.

#15 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Theres also a charger in front of pearkes rec centre. Saw a leaf plugged into it. Not sure if thats related.

#16 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

I seem to remember Dockside was pushing the "two Smart Fortwo" thing when it was being built. Did demand fall off if they're down to only one car now?

I think it has more to do with the Smart Car being really impractical. It's just too small and was hardly ever rented. It was further hampered by being a finicky diesel. Apparently it required a consistent warm up process that multiple users just couldn't provide and so it required a lot of maintenance.

The Honda Hybrid on the other hand is used frequently, is quite spacious, and very fuel efficient.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Oh wow, that's cool. I wonder how they deal with people leaving their cars hooked up well after the vehicle has charged?

I assume gas stations are not interested in having cars parked on their property for several hours at a time while they charge.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

The credit card charges would be too much and not worth it. Generally you sign up for an access card, load your "bank" and be charged that way. The City EV chargers work that way but there is no fees associated with the station, but the card you get will unlock the station.

Well the one in the picture appears ready to accept Visa and Amex.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#19 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Well the one in the picture appears ready to accept Visa and Amex.

MasterCard and Discover too. The requirement is they all have to support the tap type of transaction as there is no magnetic strip or chip reader.

I heard back from the VCSC and they confirmed that it's just a coincidence that the Smart Car left and the charging station arrived. Apparently, VanCity got some government funding for the station and so decided to install it. It is not yet operational.

The VCSC may get an electric car in the future and are closely watching Modo's electric car share pilot in Vancouver. The model is the car can't be driven out of town and is re-charged over night. It is probably the responsibility of the renter to ensure the car is charged mid-day if needed. My thinking is that Promontory may get an electric car share before Dockside Green given the big deal Bosa made of their "Bosa Volt" program.

#20 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

I wonder how people like the Cube that won the contest reported here in 2010.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users