Photo

Interactivity Board Game Cafe | Victoria | 700-block Yates St.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

One of the empty spaces in The Churchill building in the 700 block of Yates is being prepped for a "game board cafe and sandwich shop." Not sure what that entails, exactly.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

a "game board cafe and sandwich shop." Not sure what that entails, exactly.

Very few women.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

One of the empty spaces in The Churchill building in the 700 block of Yates is being prepped for a "game board cafe and sandwich shop." Not sure what that entails, exactly.

https://www.facebook...tyBoardGameCafe

http://www.ibgcafe.com/

Welcome to Interactivity Board Game Cafe. We have a library of over 500 games for you to play. We’ll help you teach games you don’t know and feed you some awesome food and drink at the same time.

Some connection to this:

Interactivity Games & Stuff
654 Fort Street
Eaton Centre
Eaton Centre, BC, CA V8W 3V2
(250) 480-3979

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

The power of the Internet!

I'm surprised they don't want to locate closer to the nerd district at Johnson and Broad. Holden, where's that photo?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

when cherry bomb moved from Courtney street? to Broad, it was to be closer to the nerdist corner and they are going gang busters I hear. who doesn't love board games and food

#6 billsaints

billsaints
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hello, as the proprietor of the Board Game Cafe I can tell you exactly what it entails :)

In simple terms it is a place where you can have a bite to eat, drink and hopefully a beer (we are in the process of getting a liquor licence) and play some games. We will have a library of over 500 games in store for you to play. These will range from all the classics such as Pictionary, Clue, Scrabble etc... to more modern European games like Sellers of Catan, Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne.

We will have a staff of 'Game Experts' on hand to help you select the type of game you want as well as teach you the rules and guide you through the first couple of rounds.

There will also be a retail area to purchase any of the games you enjoyed.

If you haven't tried some of the recent game designs, its well worth giving them a go. A lot of people have re-entered the world of board games through games such as Settlers (the biggest selling game over the last 5 years) and have realized how much it has to offer.

More info is available here:

website - http://www.ibgcafe.com/
Facebook - https://www.facebook...tyBoardGameCafe

A similar location which has been extremely successful in Toronto is 'Snakes and Lattes'. Other game cafes have also opened up in Montreal, Hamilton and Ottowa. This will be the first one on the west coast.

Also, Wil Wheaton (of Star Trek fame) runs a series of shows where he plays and describes these games with a bunch of friends. Its a good way to get an idea of what these new games are about if they are new to you:

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=o3WJTlDa7oo

Hope to see some of you down there soon...

#7 billsaints

billsaints
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Very few women.

I would have thought so too, but I spoke to one of the managers of Snakes and Lattes in Toronto (a game Cafe) and he said their clientele was 60% female.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Nice, thanks for the info, billsaints!

Know it all.

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

Welcome to vibrantvictoria billsaints.

Oh and Wil Wheaton is still on Sheldon's $hit list. :)

#10 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

I think the old Broad St. Kitchen (near Johnson) would have been a much better location for a games cafe. Hopefully the 700 block of Yates will be given a boost when Era completes around 2018.

#11 billsaints

billsaints
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

I think the old Broad St. Kitchen (near Johnson) would have been a much better location for a games cafe. Hopefully the 700 block of Yates will be given a boost when Era completes around 2018.

Lease has a clause that allows demolition of the building after 2 years.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Billsaints, the lease for the Broad St Kitchen (same building as Boutique nightclub) has a clause that says the building may be demo'd after two years?

Know it all.

#13 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Lease has a clause that allows demolition of the building after 2 years.

Interesting. I know Heritage Properties uses their own leasing agent - did she mention that they're actually considering demolishing or upgrading that building? I ask because I know that demolition clauses are often included with older buildings even when there aren't any current plans to do anything.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

Our office is in that building but there's no hint of any pending demolition planned :cheers:

The interior public areas were recently upgraded as well.

Know it all.

#15 billsaints

billsaints
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Yes. Its not a certainty by any means, they may not do it for years, but its not exactly reassuring to a new business. We prefer our spot on Yates anyway :)

#16 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

Worth noting that a board game/tapas/lounge style restaurant just opened in Ganges, called "The Gathering", so I guess you have the title of "second" to open on the west coast. ;)

Matt.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

Hmm. An untapped market segment is finally getting some attention across the country. It's not often we see this sort of thing, so we're watching retail history in the making.

Know it all.

#18 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Apparently they've been denied any kind of liquor license, even though they'll be serving food. I've been told this was unexpected and could easily make the business non-viable. Totally ridiculous - what trouble can be caused by adults having drinks at a games cafe? Is someone going to flip a chess board? Victoria's War On Fun seems to be making great headway.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Apparently they've been denied any kind of liquor license, even though they'll be serving food. I've been told this was unexpected and could easily make the business non-viable. Totally ridiculous - what trouble can be caused by adults having drinks at a games cafe? Is someone going to flip a chess board? Victoria's War On Fun seems to be making great headway.

One thing that you can't do at food-primary is have tournaments, even if their is no monetary prize. So if you have a three-hour long single-elimination style scrabble tournament, it's not allowed, as it might promote too much liquor consumption, plus movement between tables.

STUPID, but that's in the rules somewhere.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

I don't think tournaments was much, if any part of what they wanted to do. It's just supposed to be a place friends can play any of the hundreds of modern board games available, while enjoying food and drinks. Something like Snakes and Lattes in Toronto, which is hugely popular - but then they have a full drinks menu which makes being profitable a whole lot easier. I guess Victoria just isn't good enough to have fun places to go downtown. We need to be perfectly safe and boring.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users