Photo

The City has nothing better to do?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

Just reading about then crack down by By Law officers on newspaper kiosks "littering" our streets. http://bit.ly/12Zm51s WTF they have so many other things to focus on. Property taxes are due soon and I am so happy to see how they are being spent this year.

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

That's exactly the type of thing the city is supposed to concern themselves with :teacher:

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

I think it's worth removing them. They really don't deserve a free ride. Monday needs to get off their ass and get their publication INSIDE a few more places.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

I agree. Pay for the public space or off you go.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

Now that homelessness has been addressed and solved, something has to sit on the sidewalks...

Here's the regulations for New York City's newsboxes: http://www.nyc.gov/h...acksintro.shtml

Surely we can figure out a way to regulate these and strike a balance for both the publisher and the public.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

There are some street corners that have half a dozen or more of these boxes. Kids come along and throw the papers about or knock over the boxes and City crews then come in to clean up the mess. Sometimes these boxes are not taken care of and remain on a street corner with no materials within them.

It's an archaic way of distributing news in this day and age.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

I am fundamentally against this idea that we want pristine and clutter free sidewalks. Sidewalks are where the "city" buildings and "city" people interact. Turning them into laboratories of organization is boring, sterile and dehumanizing. In my opinion the best street life in the city is its most cluttered in Chinatown. If we need more space, fine take a lane of traffic away but lets keep the news boxes, the street performers, the food carts. In fact I would encourage relaxing of this to encourage more city -> people interactions.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

I don't understand why newspapers should get a free ride on public land when vending machine operators have to lease space.

Know it all.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Perhaps we should have pedestrian fees, religious indoctrination fees, sandwich board fees, nightclub waiting line fees, restaurant waiting line fees, charity worker fees, bicycle storage fees, mailbox fees, loitering penalty fees, bench use fees, parade watching fees, tourist brochure and hawker fees.

It has a whole new look!

#10 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

You forgot panhandler and squeegee kids fees.

#11 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

I am fundamentally against this idea that we want pristine and clutter free sidewalks. Sidewalks are where the "city" buildings and "city" people interact. Turning them into laboratories of organization is boring, sterile and dehumanizing. In my opinion the best street life in the city is its most cluttered in Chinatown. If we need more space, fine take a lane of traffic away but lets keep the news boxes, the street performers, the food carts. In fact I would encourage relaxing of this to encourage more city -> people interactions.

Speaking of Chinatown. Will all those stores using the sidewalk for selling fruit/veggies now have to pay the city extra fees?

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

I counted 11 boxes at the southeast corner of Yates and Government. A year or two ago there were something like five or six.

Know it all.

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Speaking of Chinatown. Will all those stores using the sidewalk for selling fruit/veggies now have to pay the city extra fees?

I am not positive that merchants do not already pay extra certainly restaurants do for sidewalk seating in most cases. I would be against increasing fees to the detriment of the city's vibrancy.

It has a whole new look!

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Yes, I wonder. There was an article the other day about the City looking at fees for vehicles that park on city property adjacent to business on 600-blk Pembroke and on Beta St. I know that restaurants that have sidewalk patio space do pay. Not sure about Chinatown vendors.

I'm sure when say, Fort St. merchants, do their annual sidewalk sale, they pay no extra.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#15 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

There goes this market.

http://www.mossstreetmarket.com/

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

There goes this market.

http://www.mossstreetmarket.com/

I think that's on a school parking lot. Not sidewalks.

#17 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

#18 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

I agree with this completely. I have seen the big boxes and there's no guarantee papers aren't strewn around them as well. What if there are more papers than spaces in the unit? If I want a sterilized shopping environment I will go to Uptown. Yes, I would like the present boxes maintained better but I like the present arrangement. If a bunch of teens want to distribute a zine in boxes, I say fine. They shouldn't have to be forced to use an overly expensive, ungainly giant box.

#19 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:47 AM

I use the street boxes all the time to pick up Focus and Boulevard. The most organized place to get that stuff are the boxes outside the downtown library.

#20 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

For me though... the questioned seemed to be why are by-law officers enforcing by-laws. Not certain what else 29er thinks by-law officers should be doing? I am sure so city manager found a way to increase revenues and thus the enforcement.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users